Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2021 7:25:04 AM EDT
Has anyone ever tried to swap a treadmill motor for a larger HP treadmill motor? We have a Nordictrack C950i with a 3CHP motor. After getting some measurements and the info from the label, it seems the same motor manufacturer, Leili, makes a 4.25CHP with the same dimensions and the same 4-wire connections. Their cut sheet shows the same motor drawing for both the 3 HP and the 4.25 HP motor. If anyone has the inclination to look it up, our treadmill has a 116ZY2-1 motor and I would get the 116ZY1-1 motor. Hell, they even make a 3.5HP motor (116ZY3-1) that is the same size as well, but if I'm going, I'm going big.

Suggestions? Good idea? Bad idea? Do it and take pictures?
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The one other thing I'd check is the motor shaft to make sure you can connect it mechanically as well as electrically.
My other concern would be that your controller may not be able to drive the new motor at its full potential and speed may not be accurate.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one other thing I'd check is the motor shaft to make sure you can connect it mechanically as well as electrically.
My other concern would be that your controller may not be able to drive the new motor at its full potential and speed may not be accurate.
View Quote

I was going to check parts diagrams to see if Nordictrack has controllers that are the same for different models with different CHP ratings. The motor shafts are the same as well for the 116ZY Leili motors.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#3]
What's the risk/reward ratio?

The reward is fewer dollars for a more powerful treadmill

The risk is that you spend X amount of dollars that doesn't work so that X amount of dollars is essentially flushed down the toilet.

Are you willing to take the risk and gamble that X amount of dollars?  If not you're better off just buying a more powerful treadmill off the shelf.  I haven't looked at fitness equipment availability lately but last I checked you wouldn't have had any problems selling the old unit to recoup some of the cost for the new one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The risk is that you spend X amount of dollars that doesn't work so that X amount of dollars is essentially flushed down the toilet.

Are you willing to take the risk and gamble that X amount of dollars?  If not you're better off just buying a more powerful treadmill off the shelf.  I haven't looked at fitness equipment availability lately but last I checked you wouldn't have had any problems selling the old unit to recoup some of the cost for the new one.
View Quote

Found a surplus place online that appears to have the bigger motor for $97 plus $30 shipping. So, the experiment (if I find good information about the controller and other pieces) would be around $130. I already replaced the deck and beefed it up underneath with a layer of 3/4" plywood because I broke the first one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah.  Okay, that seems like a safe gamble.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ah.  Okay, that seems like a safe gamble.
View Quote

I'd absolutely love to have a commercial one from Precor or Life Fitness that had a 4+ CHP motor and rated for 400#. Maybe down the road.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a commercial Life Fitness treadmill, from I think the late 90s. It's only a 2HP motor, and rated for 300 lbs.

I only paid $100 for it, and didn't do anything but lube under the treads. Diagnostics said this one has 18k hours, and 50k miles on it.

These kind of deals are common because of how difficult it is to move these things. Thing weighs around 350lbs, and was a bear to move into where I have it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you able to turn the motor on max and that's not enough speed? I guess I'm lost as to what you're needing but i typically batter my nervous system with weights and do moderate intensity cardio so can't really fathom turning it on max speed for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I own a small business repairing treadmills. Unfortunately I've never done this....remember that it's not just about the motor, but also about the control board. Icon will sometimes use the same control board across different models, but not always- so it MIGHT work. You might also just fry the control board, or may run the new motor at a lower capacity. Check the output of the board and the input on the new motor and see what it says.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Found a surplus place online that appears to have the bigger motor for $97 plus $30 shipping. So, the experiment (if I find good information about the controller and other pieces) would be around $130. I already replaced the deck and beefed it up underneath with a layer of 3/4" plywood because I broke the first one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I know what place you're talking about, be aware that you're probably going to have to swap the pulley from the old motor to the new one and it's kind of a bitch. Just something to plan ahead for, it's totally doable.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you able to turn the motor on max and that's not enough speed? I guess I'm lost as to what you're needing but i typically batter my nervous system with weights and do moderate intensity cardio so can't really fathom turning it on max speed for long periods of time.
View Quote

Speed is fine. I was thinking along the lines of a higher rated motor so as not to tax it as much when running or even rucking on the treadmill. I'm a larger fellow and I was thinking of a motor with more torque for the same function to make it last longer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I own a small business repairing treadmills. Unfortunately I've never done this....remember that it's not just about the motor, but also about the control board. Icon will sometimes use the same control board across different models, but not always- so it MIGHT work. You might also just fry the control board, or may run the new motor at a lower capacity. Check the output of the board and the input on the new motor and see what it says.
View Quote

Some further research showed me that they probably used different controllers for the higher HP models. I couldn't find a treadmill in the Nordictrack family that used the same board, but a 4HP motor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top