Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 7/9/2024 6:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _Nataraja_]
I just found out that Rolex makes more than 1 million watches each year. For comparison Patek Philippe produces about 68,000 watches per year, Breitling comes to about 170,000 pieces annually, and Omega manages a proud number of 570,000.

I never really cared for Rolex, but now they seem just outright stupid. I really had no idea they produced them at these quantities. Ferrari makes about 9,000 cars a year. Toyota produces about 300k Tacomas per year. 1 million is a lot of anything.

Rolex Production Article
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#1]
And there is a waiting list for every one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow,  I'd have thought both were a tenth of that.

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:
I never really cared for Rolex, but now they seem just outright stupid.
View Quote

Ha, you think that's stupid, wait until you hear about index funds!
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well they make different styles and men and women’s sizes so it’s not like it’s a million of all the same watch which kind of negates your comparison to the Tacoma instead of Toyota overall.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it was about 1.1 million, but splitting hairs. It’s always interesting how polarizing luxury brands can be here
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Does that include their lesser brand Tudor also?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#7]
Commonly known fact.

I never really cared for Rolex, but now they seem just outright stupid.
View Quote

Rolex makes every part (with the exception of two, nobody knows what they are) in house. They have a foundry, they make their own cases.

*was three parts, but they just went ahead and bought one of the companies. iirc, it was the one that made the hairspring.

Originally Posted By smokycity:
View Quote

A few people have said the number doesn’t include Tudor. I have both, Tudor is a nice watch, but you can definitely feel the difference, especially when winding. Tudor supplies movements to other companies as well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

You take that back!
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
View Quote

My local AD has a year waiting list for Subs

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
So rare and valuable
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have thought it was 100k.

As much as I’ve been wanting one, that really dampens the feeling
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, they’re outright stupid for making millions of watches that sell for thousands of dollars each

What a horrible business model

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont care what people wear,  but i would never notice
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol @ analog watches

That's soooo 1920s
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

View Quote

Just a year?  Name of AD?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Sucker born every minute….
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 77Bronc:

Demand is waaaay down these days.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The number comes from 2022, the height of the watch frenzy.

Rolex will produce an amount that keeps some degree of artificial scarcity. If that was a million in 2021-2022, they are probably at half that now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sorry_Your_Girl_Lost] [#20]
I read there are 1446 Rolex dealers worldwide.  Divide 1.1 million watches by 1446 and you get 760 watches per dealer per year or 105 watches per month to sell.  On the Rolex website it has 14 different watches you could try to buy.  But that doesn't include different colors and sizes.  105 divided by 14 is 7.5 watches. That's 7.5 watches the dealer can sell in any model.  If there are 3-6 versions of each reference it is very possible they only get 1 of the watch you are looking for to sell per month.  How many other people do you think want those one or two allocations they get per month?  This is why you can't get one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait until OP finds out about DeBeers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fike:
The number comes from 2022, the height of the watch frenzy.

Rolex will produce an amount that keeps some degree of artificial scarcity. If that was a million in 2021-2022, they are probably at half that now.
View Quote
They are building another factory to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:39:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#23]
I have been on waiting lists for 5 years.

It is not just numbers, they also make what they want to sell, not necessarily what people want to purchase.  You could probably find a white gold (or platinum) sub tomorrow if you really wanted one - but not the SS models.  Profit margin is much higher on the pm watches.  That said, if they don't make the ss, enough people will get pm instead.

One thing has changed however.  My local AD now has inventory on display.  Apparently Rolex is forcing AD's to maintain a stocked display now.  So they have watches on display, just not for sale.  I actually saw the watches I was on wait lists for this summer.  That said, also saw an even rarer on that I am more interested in.  Rolex makes 1 color of 1 model as a left handed only - it is the only left handed watch Rolex makes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Sorry_Your_Girl_Lost:
I read there are 1446 Rolex dealers worldwide.  Divide 1.1 million watches by 1446 and you get 760 watches per dealer per year or 105 watches per month to sell.  On the Rolex website it has 14 different watches you could try to buy.  But that doesn't include different colors and sizes.  105 divided by 14 is 7.5 watches. That's 7.5 watches the dealer can sell in any model.  If there are 3-6 versions of each reference it is very possible they only get 1 of the watch you are looking for to sell per month.  How many other people do you think want those one or two allocations they get per month?  This is why you can't get one.
View Quote

That’s why I bought my no date Sub used, it looked like it had never been worn

I also inherited one from my father but the crystal is acrylic so I rarely wear it
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm too rough on watches to drop that kind of coin on one. I will stick with my seiko.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this a pic thread yet?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#27]
boomer watch with phoney boomer inflated value
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By triburst1:
View Quote

Smoke and mirrors supply and demand.

“ADs” allegedly hide inventory to drive prices up.

Car dealerships were doing the same thing during cuntvid/chip shortages.  The truck in my driveway was being hidden by a dealership. Fortunately my friend at another dealership had a luxury suv they desperately wanted, so they coughed up my truck in exchange.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Figuring 260 work days a year, that's 3,800-ish per day.

Talk about mass produced!
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#31]
The Asian market is massive.  There are buyers who literally send professional shoppers around the world to search for watches and bring them back.  

Secret bidding wars at dealers…bribes required to get moved to the top of a wait list…it’s stupid.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Yup.  Rolexes are mass produced in CNC pods.  No interest in them.  Give me a nice Ulysses Nardin.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I love all the old fancy watches. It amazes me that they could produce something as small as the screws by hand.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hatidua] [#35]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:00:15 PM EDT
[#36]
I love automatic watches, but a stainless steel 45mm Series 9 gets worn 95% of the time. My San Martin homage fills the void of a no date Sub at a fraction of the price with none of the AD games or outrageous grey market prices.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: st0newall] [#37]
side story..

was in aspen skiing several years ago. there is a very high end ski-in/ski-out hotel called the little nell. at the time there was a jewelry store in the hotel. i've always been interested in watches. so im talking to the girl a the counter and she says ...

we dont sell any mass-produced watches like rolex. i had not brought the subject up. was just curious about the watches in the case..

they had patek phillipe and similar high end pieces that start aroudn 40 to 50k for a beginners version....

the highest end watch i have is a omega. i wear a garmin fenix normally. if i was gonna go high end i would step over the rolexes and get a patek phillipe. thing is all you are paying for is the exclusivity. very few people will recognize such a watch. they will recognize omega, rolex and assume its high end.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By MattR:
I would have thought it was 100k.

As much as I’ve been wanting one, that really dampens the feeling
View Quote

Honestly a Rolex doesn’t really make a statement as it did back in the day.   Buy a watch that you like without a regard for anyone else.   I wanted an Omega Seamaster since I was a teenager.  My wife bought me a black faced one several years ago.  I love it and wear it daily.  In 10 years maybe 3 people ever commented on it.  
 If I were to buy something similar it would probably be a Sinn.
It’s not my personal feeling, but Rolex screams Douchebag.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Tudors are now what Rolex used to be.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Why is it surprising.

They mass produce mostly stainless sports watches.

Add in Tudor numbers and it’s up there.

Don’t pay taxes either as it’s owned by a Foundation.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Commonly known fact.

Rolex makes every part (with the exception of two, nobody knows what they are) in house. They have a foundry, they make their own cases.

*was three parts, but they just went ahead and bought one of the companies. iirc, it was the one that made the hairspring.

A few people have said the number doesn’t include Tudor. I have both, Tudor is a nice watch, but you can definitely feel the difference, especially when winding. Tudor supplies movements to other companies as well.
View Quote

Inversely I sold my subs when I got my P39.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

I called an AD across the state on a Wednesday, drove to Memphis the next morning to get it.

No history with this AD.

Good ones are out there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By mousehunter:
I have been on waiting lists for 5 years.

It is not just numbers, they also make what they want to sell, not necessarily what people want to purchase.  You could probably find a white gold (or platinum) sub tomorrow if you really wanted one - but not the SS models.  Profit margin is much higher on the pm watches.  That said, if they don't make the ss, enough people will get pm instead.

One thing has changed however.  My local AD now has inventory on display.  Apparently Rolex is forcing AD's to maintain a stocked display now.  So they have watches on display, just not for sale.  I actually saw the watches I was on wait lists for this summer.  That said, also saw an even rarer on that I am more interested in.  Rolex makes 1 color of 1 model as a left handed only - it is the only left handed watch Rolex makes.
View Quote

Technically they make two of the watch for lefties.  Two different bands.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I find Grand Seikos much more appealing.

Rolex definitely has a strong name and a vigorous market.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By tct1000:
View Quote

I know more 35-45 year olds buying Subs and GMT’s than I do old people.

Had someone today ask me who to call for the new GMT on a jubilee.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I have very, very minimal interest in new Rolex models. Too fancy - largely lost their way as a tool watch for professionals. Tudor on the other hand, is killing it. The BB58, Pelagos 39, Ranger, and BB Pro - all have my interest. Looking forward to what Tudor releases in the next year. Their models continue to improve - like the new monochrome BB 41. Rolex, meh, not so much. Yet I do love the 124270 … it still captures the original spirit of the old classic Rolex that I fell in love with. Too bad Rolex will never make a 39mm Sub again. That is why I daily the BB58.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#47]
2023 DATA

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: S-1] [#48]
Originally Posted By tct1000:
View Quote

Nah.

Believe or not, there are a LOT of Gen Zers that are into watches.

ETA. I am a very tail end Gen Xer and I have never owned a smart watch and probably never will. My atomic/solar G Shock is about the closest I will get to one. lol
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By soncorn:
I find Grand Seikos much more appealing.

Rolex definitely has a strong name and a vigorous market.
View Quote

If they do a 39-40mm diver that’s 10-12mm thick, I’m a buyer.

I’d honestly prefer the 9F, +/- 10 sec a year.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top