Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 9:42:57 PM EDT
One week to go. Setting up the various sections of the airfield for aircraft displays, and west end of the runway ready for fly-in

Unfortunately prices have gone up since 2011 when the tornado hit. Seems that since 2011 GA pilot turnout has been lower after the way SnF handled the various damaged aircraft and sent bills to the owners.

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually try to sneak in. And fuck the Blue Angels for changing schedules to force closures of inbound flights, waiving off all arrivals.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a hell of a lot of fun flying in there one year in the right seat along side my chief flight instructor. It really is something cool to do. Thus far it’s the only time I ever landed on a taxiway. Lol. I’d never been around so many damn pilots in my life. At the end of the day I was starting to feel a little inferior, like all my old war stories didn’t add up to a hill of beans.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The good is that you meet interesting people if you have access to places away from the typical tourist section, especially with various organizational memberships or journalist credentials.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My partner in my rv is going down with his son for 3-4 days and camping. I’m jealous and would probably consider tagging along if I had someone to go with in my other plane.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ll be there wearing an Orange shirt again, make sure to wave if you fly in!

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
My in-laws are there camping. Some bad weather they had yesterday. Hope its a nice week. I gotta go one year!
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#7]
My Dad was a member of the Confederate Air Force in the 70's in Texas (Ghost Squadron San Marcos Tx).
we moved back to Lakeland and he built a house about 3 miles from Linder Airport. We would sit on the front porch and watch the planes together.
He passed in 2010. I sure miss him and the time we spent together.

Good memories.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Why should I pay for damage caused by a storm
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]

TBM Avenger “soft water landing” Airshow Crash

Live TBM Avenger after crash landing in ocean
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Another SnF complete. The big dog at the airport is Amazon. They get a 15 minute window during the air show to land one or two cargo planes. There’s talk about adding a new 9/27 runway to the south.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another SnF complete. The big dog at the airport is Amazon. They get a 15 minute window during the air show to land one or two cargo planes. There’s talk about adding a new 9/27 runway to the south.
View Quote

I do not see how they could possibly do that without buying hangers and privately owned buildings and then overcome the Rath of the people that live in the developments there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
South I mean parallel to the current runway, modifying the Papa taxiway and taking out the first few rows of the RV camping. Making a new 9R/27L.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
South I mean parallel to the current runway, modifying the Papa taxiway and taking out the first few rows of the RV camping. Making a new 9R/27L.
View Quote

I am not a pilot but do not see the need. We have two 8k foot runways already.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Technically the north runway (9L/27R) is a taxiway. Used as a runway only for light aircraft mainly around the air show. Heavys still taxi on it. The new proposed runway is for heavy traffic landing and takeoff.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Yikes! Skip to 2:20...

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yikes! Skip to 2:20...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3iITkduNAM
View Quote

That's nothing. Looks like the high wing did a go around and should have side-stepped. One year I flew in and it had rained heavily on Tuesday. I had planes beside me, above me, cutting me off, et cetera on the leg where you follow I-4 to the west. They weren't talking to anyone. I have excellent glass and eyesight, even at 40 with uncorrected vision, and usually see traffic before others. That made me uncomfortable, so I usually try to arrive about 30 minutes before the field closes and it's usually a real easy approach. On departure, I stay as low and fast as practical as I know everyone else is climbing out. I consider the risk of a mid-air to be far higher than the risk of an engine failure and feel staying low is a better mitigation practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top