Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2021 3:11:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hoosier122]
Greetings. We just laid my grandfather to rest who served in the US Army in the late 1950s garrisoned in Kaiserslautern. (honorably discharged)

Questions: What flag frame/box would you recommend to display the items mentioned above?

Thoughts requesting and displaying the Presidential Memorial Letter?

His discharge papers only list a Good Service Medal. Why would it not also list the Overseas Ribbon? I'm now back in Iraq (civilian) and I believe I recall him showing a medal and maybe uniform when I was maybe 8... But I'd really like to not add to the task list of my widowed  grandmother, so I could just order the proper frame/case, then let other family put it all together, as the flag is in one of those see through plastic zip up pouches and not folded exactly properly.

FYI: Name, SP5 (T)  E-5, Army RA AGC Transferred to US Army Reserves, Honorable Discharge, Good Conduct Medal, 2 years 9 months, 15 days (all overseas); 717.10 Admin Spec, 0-97.12 Office Mngr

Thanks for your thoughts on the letter and hopefully a good suggestion for a company that makes frames/shadow boxes.

ETA: Veteran or USA made preferred, or will consider a custom ARFCOMer's work
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The Overseas Service Ribbon was established in 1981.  It can be retroactive if the Soldier was on active duty in 1981.

If his service started after July 27, 1954 he was ineligible for the National Defense Service Medal (Jun 27 '50 to Jul 27 '54).

Link Posted: 7/31/2021 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
The Overseas Service Ribbon was established in 1981.  It can be retroactive if the Soldier was on active duty in 1981.

If his service started after July 27, 1954 he was ineligible for the National Defense Service Medal (Jun 27 '50 to Jul 27 '54).

View Quote
That would explain why it wasn't mentioned in his discharge papers.

Back to the topic, he never made a big deal about his service, but as I said he did show his male grandchildren some of his uniform and shared some non-combat stories about "after hours" activities in West Germany. I had the opportunity to visit where he was garrisoned in 2014 (it has since been replaced by a hospital and apartments... still a beautiful town that is ironicallly only about two hours north of where my paternal family emigrated from in 1911 (Rheinland-Pfalz area that was in the French Occupation Zone).

Just wondering other veterans' opinions about displaying the flag from the honor guard, one (likely) or three shells (I believe the rest will be given to his son and seven grandchildren) andbzz; although, he would've preferred it'd been signed by the previous POTUS, he still respected the office -- maybe not the person ... just not sure if Grandma will want it framed with the flag and shell(s), as he didn't talk much about his service between Korea and Vietnam, but was still proud and obviously it was important enough for him to want military honors during his burial/entombment... Also, I know wood or gold (brass) is typically reserved for the flag frame, but Grandma has brushed aluminum as her accent/photo frame colors (and you don't mess with Grandma's taste in design ... any crime if I find a brushed aluminum flag frame or shadow box?

Three More
- Is the coin that the honor guard presented to my grandmother considered to be a challenge coin of sorts ... worth displaying? I believe it just had that local honor guard's insignia?
- After his time in the Army, I'm not aware of him being active in the Legion, VFW, or any other similar organizations (although it is possible and I do think he was a Shriner as his father-in-law was a Potente at the Indianapolis Downtown Lodge... Any challenge coins or other items which I or my uncle should look to preserve as Grandma is likely to get moved into a smaller/more accomodating house?
- Also, again any veterans make frames/shadowboxes or are hobbyist woodworkers who would be willing to make something custom?

Thanks. Just don't want to lose anything to memories. Oh it was quite the surprise when Grandma told me that Grandpa had "a couple" of German girlfriends while abroad ('twas before they were married, but never expected to hear that from her!).
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on his (non-NDSM) peacetime service he would not have been eligible for membership in either the VFW or the American Legion.

There's no rules about shadow boxes or flag frames.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 5:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hoosier122] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ODA_564:
Based on his (non-NDSM) peacetime service he would not have been eligible for membership in either the VFW or the American Legion.

There's no rules about shadow boxes or flag frames.
View Quote
I've become aware of the Army of Occupation Medal... Nevermind, it appears that ended for Germany (less West Berlin in 1955).
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 12:05:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Back to the purpose of this thread, does anyone here sell basic word working projects or have a beat on a veteran owned company?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top