Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2022 4:02:59 PM EDT
I am in the beginning stages of planning a Jeep JK build.  Only one problem…I don’t have a Jeep JKU!  So the hunt begins.  The plan is to LS swap it, tons, lockers, cage and bead locked 42’s.  I am gonna go with custom 4 link front and back and either coilovers or ORIs.  And maybe to delete the rear doors and make a poor man’s gladiator with a stretched rear.

So with all the running gear not needed, it would be ideal to find a good roller body with a blown engine and trans.  I would go the insurance auction route, but I have had really bad experiences with that in the past.  Anyone have any other suggestions for finding mechanical basket cases, with straight bodies?  I am guessing dumb luck will be my best bet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Just have to be on the lookout for something with a ton of miles on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d suggest searching on copart.com.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Davies jeeps usually has stuff, but wrecked jeeps are hard to find since parts are always in demand.
https://daveysjeeps.com/repairables/
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 5:28:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I would look for a 2007-2008 JKU, preferably a Rubicon. You get the Tcase (4/1) and can sell off the axles.

I am doing tons and 40s in my 15 JKU. I am waiting on axles and wheels. Supposed to be picking up the tires this afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking for the same thing, when you find a good source let me know
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Prices are too crazy and I’m not going to buy from an insurance auction like copart again.  I think I will keep my ear to the ground for a good chassis/tub and I’m just gonna build a tube buggy to keep me busy.  I have reached out to a few mechanics who will pass my name and contact info to anyone who brings in a Jeep and can’t justify the repair.  I also met a wholesaler who says he’ll keep on the lookout for one.  We’ll see what happens.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prices are too crazy and I’m not going to buy from an insurance auction like copart again.  I think I will keep my ear to the ground for a good chassis/tub and I’m just gonna build a tube buggy to keep me busy.  I have reached out to a few mechanics who will pass my name and contact info to anyone who brings in a Jeep and can’t justify the repair.  I also met a wholesaler who says he’ll keep on the lookout for one.  We’ll see what happens.
View Quote

What kind of price are you looking for?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What kind of price are you looking for?
View Quote

This is obviously not a WTB add, but $5000-$10000 depending on what the Jeep had on it that I could resell.  I have a line on a flood Jeep now, but I think it is too repairable(expensive) for what I am looking for.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I came across this ad on Facebook the other day 7500 with 1 ton axles included doesn’t seem horrible

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/498370548694766/
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Check your local Jeep groups.  Of course, if your is anything like mine, you will see some stupid high prices floating around for old JKs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I came across this ad on Facebook the other day 7500 with 1 ton axles included doesn’t seem horrible

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/498370548694766/
View Quote

Thanks!  I’ll look into it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check your local Jeep groups.  Of course, if your is anything like mine, you will see some stupid high prices floating around for old JKs.
View Quote

That’s a good call!  Most of the groups I’ve come across have 126,000 mile blinged out mall crawlers with paint-matched accents as have become popular with the urban crowd.

But I’m sure there are a few with some potential!
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Neighbor just bought a pretty clean 2007 JKU Sahara with 100k miles for $8500.

A couple of years ago there was a 2008 JKU Rubicon with a broken transfer case for $5500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top