Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/6/2022 6:34:02 PM EDT
Looking to replace a 20 year old Craftsman gas unit that won't start any more.  Before replacing carb, etc. (I'm sure shitty ethanol gas has a lot to do with it), I thought it would be worth seeing what else is out there.  Looking for something that will last.  Need to be able to pressure wash concrete drive and decks, hose off outdoor yard equipment...esp my 1 Series Deere tractor and mower deck.  Also, I'd like to be able to spray chemicals, soap, Wet & Forgot on the siding and need to reach 2 stories above me in the back of house.  Would also like to get use same chemical spray ability to spray large trees in yard if possible, separate spray handle/device expected.

What brands/models do you suggest?  Gas or is electric a viable option?  Like to keep it under $500-$700 max if possible, but no idea what quality units cost these days.  Any experience with the Sthil units?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure Simpson still has a Honda/Cat model in that range. I have one with an aluminum frame. It's less than 3gpm but it gets the job done effectively around the house and shop. The pressure washer is my least favorite tool to use so it's pretty hard for me to get excited about it. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
have you looked at walmart? they have good deals.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything with a Honda engine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Simpson with the Honda engine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Walmart will have exactly what you are seeking and they are practically giving them away.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a Troy-bilt about 18 years ago and it is still going strong.  If I had to buy another, Troy would be it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Whichever one you can get out the door without paying while a herd of neckbeards cheer you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing electric (unless a 240V)!  I’d had a Generac for 20-years & the poor B&S engine locked-up one day.  Seized & no clue why.  Oil, etc was fine.  A sad day.

I was getting oil at Wal-Mart & perused the pressure washers.  Some gas models with decent specs & yes, dirt cheap.  Made in Vietnam, not PRC.  Gave one a shot - so far so good.

ETA - also as above, if you want better, anything with a Honda engine.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looking to replace a 20 year old Craftsman gas unit that won't start any more.  Before replacing carb, etc. (I'm sure shitty ethanol gas has a lot to do with it), I thought it would be worth seeing what else is out there.  Looking for something that will last.  Need to be able to pressure wash concrete drive and decks, hose off outdoor yard equipment...esp my 1 Series Deere tractor and mower deck.  Also, I'd like to be able to spray chemicals, soap, Wet & Forgot on the siding and need to reach 2 stories above me in the back of house.  Would also like to get use same chemical spray ability to spray large trees in yard if possible, separate spray handle/device expected.

What brands/models do you suggest?  Gas or is electric a viable option?  Like to keep it under $500-$700 max if possible, but no idea what quality units cost these days.  Any experience with the Sthil units?
View Quote

It could be something simple.  I literally got my old Craftsman running a couple of hours ago.  I took the carb bowl off.  The brass bolt that holds it on is also the carb jet.  There is a small orifice in the end.  It was plugged.  I stuck a needle in it then blew it out.  Put everything back together and it started right up.

No reason to spend several hundred bucks if you don't have to.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Husqvarna purchased at Costco. Several years lots of use no complaints $300 or so
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a Generac from Lowes for a good 8 years now…starts on 2nd pull and sits in the shed for months at a time. All the power I need! I do use StarTron fuel additive in all my motors.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The lifespan of a cheap pump is measured in dozens of hours.

Typically, the pump will give out long before even the cheapest gas engine does.

So, the first thing you want to look for isn't the brand of the engine - It's the brand of the pump.

You want a triplex plunger pump made by Cat, Comet, General or Annovi Reverberi - Rebuildable, with replacement parts readily available.

You don't want a pump that's designed to be thrown away, rather than repaired.

You don't want an off-brand pump that nobody sells repair parts for.

Incidentally, Honda's "Residential-Grade" GC engines are pieces of shit. The only thing they have in common with the industrial GX series is the Honda sticker on the outside of them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Simpson with a Honda motor from Amazon two years ago. Put quite a few hours on it and have been happy with it. If you buy one, put some thread locker on the bolts that hold the motor to the frame.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
No complaints so far on this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UBMSUZE?tag=arfcom00-20

SIMPSON Cleaning Cleaning ALH3228-S Powered 3400 PSI Gas Pressure Washer, 2.5 GPM, HONDA GX200 Engine, CAT Industrial triplex plunger pump, Includes Spray Gun and Extension Wand, 5 QC Nozzle Tips, 5/16-inch x 25-foot Monster Hose, Red

$ 750.00
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
have you looked at walmart? they have good deals.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#16]
My DeWalt Professional 3200 PSI (Gas - Cold Water) Pressure Washer w/ CAT Pump & Honda GX200 Engine has been great for the last 10 years. I probably have over a 100 hours on mine using pure gas only.
Whatever you buy, make sure it has a Simpson or Cat water pump.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Simpson still has a Honda/Cat model in that range. I have one with an aluminum frame. It's less than 3gpm but it gets the job done effectively around the house and shop. The pressure washer is my least favorite tool to use so it's pretty hard for me to get excited about it. Sorry.
View Quote
@housewolf

After posting this a did some surfing, found some "best" lists and landed on the Simpson website as well as Home Depot.  I think I narrowed my list down to the one you have....is it this?  Simpson Aluminum ALH3425(-S) 50-State
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Just replace the motor, cheaper than a new pressure washer.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, I forgot to mention that in my original post.  Once I got to the Simpson site, saw I could filter on engine mfg...I narrowed things down quickly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bought a Troy-bilt about 18 years ago and it is still going strong.  If I had to buy another, Troy would be it.
View Quote
See response to earlier post.  I get it.  Been here 20 years+
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whichever one you can get out the door without paying while a herd of neckbeards cheer you.
View Quote
See response to earlier post.  I get it.  Been here 20 years+
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It could be something simple.  I literally got my old Craftsman running a couple of hours ago.  I took the carb bowl off.  The brass bolt that holds it on is also the carb jet.  There is a small orifice in the end.  It was plugged.  I stuck a needle in it then blew it out.  Put everything back together and it started right up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@cb4017

Excellent point.  I don't plan to run out and buy a new one without making some DIY fixit attempt on the old one first.  Thanks for the help, I'm sure gas is an issue.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:44:48 PM EDT
[#23]
We use these at work and they seem to go forever
https://www.mitm.com/consumer/pressure-washers/residential/
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Typically, the pump will give out long before even the cheapest gas engine does.

So, the first thing you want to look for isn't the brand of the engine - It's the brand of the pump.

You want a triplex plunger pump made by Cat, Comet, General or Annovi Reverberi - Rebuildable, with replacement parts readily available.

Incidentally, Honda's "Residential-Grade" GC engines are pieces of shit. The only thing they have in common with the industrial GX series is the Honda sticker on the outside of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Skibane
Great point and details.   The one I linked to has a triplex, AAA brand pump, and they show parts on their website.  And its a GX series engine (GX200).
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a rebuilt Simpson with Honda motor off ebay.

Works well.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Stihl RB 600 this summer. It is really nice. $1200 ish.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
@Skibane
Great point and details.   The one I linked to has a triplex, AAA brand pump, and they show parts on their website.  And its a GX series engine (GX200).
View Quote

AAA is sort of an off-brand label that Simpson puts on some of their models.

AFAIK, nobody else sells that brand, or sells replacement parts for it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@housewolf

After posting this a did some surfing, found some "best" lists and landed on the Simpson website as well as Home Depot.  I think I narrowed my list down to the one you have....is it this?  Simpson Aluminum ALH3425(-S) 50-State
View Quote
Very close, but not exactly. Here's mine
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#29]
I do want a 240v pressure washer.   I saw the prices, and not happening.  I still want it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm using a dewalt 4400psi unit pushing out 4gpm and really like it.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Dewalt here. Basically same as the Simpson unit.   Honda engine/cat pump. Home Depot sometimes has good pricing on them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Have the Simpsons with Honda/triplex cat pump. It's a beast.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My DeWalt Professional 3200 PSI (Gas - Cold Water) Pressure Washer w/ CAT Pump & Honda GX200 Engine has been great for the last 10 years. I probably have over a 100 hours on mine using pure gas only.
Whatever you buy, make sure it has a Simpson or Cat water pump.
View Quote

That’s the one I have, works great and we use it a lot.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#34]
As mentioned, buy something with Honda power.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
As mentioned, buy something with Honda power.
View Quote

As mentioned, Honda GC engines are pure shit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@housewolf

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177202/213FCB00-600C-4DF2-A828-211C22A35C00_jpe-2479849.JPG
This must be it, https://simpsoncleaning.com/products/alh3228-s/

Honda GX200, Cat pump...$750 @ Home Depot right now
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:34:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Husqvarna purchased at Costco. Several years lots of use no complaints $300 or so
View Quote

This, I love my Honda powered one, but this is a good deal in today's world.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I have had this one from northern tool for 5 or 6 years. No issues yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:20:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Since I plan to use mine only at home I bought an electric model.  Decided to get a Karcher that was on sale in Home Depot.  

Machine is more than 15 years old and has been working fine.  Only thing I had to fix was the input pipe, which is plastic and broke, so I just used some epoxy with JBWeld on top and it's as good as new.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I bought the Lesbian model from Sams about five years ago
Subaru

Its been damn good.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#41]
We have a Craftsman thats been GTG for about 8 years or so. Neighbors have borrowed it numerous times.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@housewolf

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177202/213FCB00-600C-4DF2-A828-211C22A35C00_jpe-2479849.JPG

Yes that's it. I had an old, really old Troy built that I had already replaced the pump on years ago. I hated the damn thing. Had to work on it every time I used it. So I bought the Simpson while it was on sale for $600/free shipping. I hate it too but only because it's a pressure washer.

I live on a lake and we have a lot of bugs. They make a mess on all the buildings so I may do more pressure washing than the average homeowner.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Lost my Simpson pump over the winter. Its my second one. I use them in the winter and sometimes, I guess, i dont get them drained well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lost my Simpson pump over the winter. Its my second one. I use them in the winter and sometimes, I guess, i dont get them drained well.
View Quote

What the world needs is a small plug-in heater for pressure washer pumps - No winterization needed!
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#45]
my electric one is so much more conevnient and more quiet than my gas that the gas one rarely gets pulled out anymore.  it has way less power, but for most jobs around the house it is sufficient.  I only picked it up last year from Costco on sale (from whatever Chinese or Vietnamese company is name plating Husqvarna) so we will see if it lasts a few years before I could recommend one to others.

i dont think it has the output for a rotating brush for concrete, but I still have my gas one for that when needed
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

i run marine antifreeze through mine each year when winterizing the boat. easy enough to do, it doesnt take much, and it is still running perfectly after 15 years.  other than that I change the oil annually and run the gas dry everytime.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought one at Costco a few years ago for around $300.

Yamaha engine 3100 PSI / 2.4 GPM.

Has been a good unit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

i run marine antifreeze through mine each year when winterizing the boat. easy enough to do, it doesnt take much, and it is still running perfectly after 15 years.  other than that I change the oil annually and run the gas dry everytime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use mine mostly during the winter and that would be the fix, would have to do it every time. I usually just try to run it dry. That dont work.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I did exactly the opposite and bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight.  This is its 6th summer. Ethanol free gas only, run it empty of gas prior to winter, drain the oil, refill for use. I forgot to do that one winter and it took 5 pulls to fire up. Previous Honda ate carbs every 3 years. I gave up.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

What the world needs is a small plug-in heater for pressure washer pumps - No winterization needed!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That, or stop being poor and build a heated shop…which is in the plans.

But they do sell those heated mats for pets…that could be a temp fix.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top