Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2022 1:05:09 AM EDT
Hey, I’m looking for some input on buying a sub for a home stereo system. I currently have a Sony STR-DH590 receiver, which makes pretty decent sound and I am happy with. It does have some heating issues when it gets cranked up, maybe due to the tight cabinet it’s in or maybe just because it’s a cheaper receiver. Also have a pair of JBL Stage 180’s hooked to it. They are pretty dang good for the price point. Super clear and can be maxed out without any noticeable distortion.
   I am looking to add a sub and just because I could match my speakers, was looking at the JBL Stage 120 which is a 12” ported. After reading plenty online, I also learned about the SVS series of subs. Looking at a SB-2000 Pro which is sealed.
These two are completely different subs and the price difference is also pretty big.
I am leaning towards the SVS just because I don’t want to be disappointed, but wanted to get some opinions. Any other brands you guys are fond of? I’m open to ideas.

BTW…although it is hooked up as a home theater, the primary use is super loud rock music! Wanting to shake the walls a bit!
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Newegg runs some pretty good sales on Klipsch subs. Check out Polk as well. I have a 12" Polk that hits hard enough to shake the house.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
partsexpress maybe look, too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Monoprice Monolith series, RSL Speedwoofer (gen2 just released), HSU Research

I'm still of the belief you should budget for 2 subs
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
No complaints from SVS. I have the PB2000 in my living room and a pair of prime wireless on my computer.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I am very impressed with my SVS sub (SB3000) Would recommend them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just installed my power sound audio system including these two TV1813DF (18") subs.

They fucking kick ass.

Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for SVS.  I have them in my home theater and living room.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just installed my power sound audio system including these two TV1813DF (18") subs.

They fucking kick ass.

https://i.postimg.cc/rFKjmdjN/PXL-20220318-194451605.jpg
View Quote
Not perfectly parallel with the floorboards.  It's fuckin' with me.

I'm gonna go be poor over here and I know you get what you pay for, but I've been happy with these:
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Lots of good posts.  I'd get a Parts Express subwoofer kit with a DSP digital amplifier.

https://www.parts-express.com/Powered-Dayton-Audio-12-with-Dual-Passive-500-Watt-Subwoofer-Kit-with-Built-In-DSP-300-7154
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go be poor over here and I know you get what you pay for, but I've been happy with these:
www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJ1YR8Y
View Quote
A well priced Klipsch sub.

Especially well suited in conjunction with the Klipsch Series 5 speakers cross over wiring.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJ1YR8Y
View Quote

Oh yeah they weren't in their place there, just a quick photo. They're in some corners now and parallel with the floor and square to the corners.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]
HSU Research.  You're welcome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top