Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 9:14:02 AM EDT
Me and my 15 year old son have been doing SL 5x5 since early November.  He will be a sophomore next year and should be the starting center on varsity.  He's 6'1" and weighs 245.  We switched from 5x5 to 3x5 and his squat reps were at 290. Deadlift is also 290.  Bench is only 145.(that needs work). His barbell row is also 145.

The main question involves squats.  His rest period between sets is 5-6 minutes.  Should we switch to 3x3 or maybe a different program.  He also lifts 3 days a week with the team but goes pretty light.  Their program isn't great so that's why we are doing our own thing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Starting Strength recommends moving on to an intermediate program once progress stops. Texas Method is what they like to use.

A lot of really strong people recommend programs with periodization in them, they want to be working in multiple rep ranges through the year.

Going from 5x5 to 3x5 to 3x3 is just forcing more weight on the bar while decreasing volume, you want to accumulate good volume to keep building strength, which is why 5/3/1 works so well for so many people, it's an accumulation of volume at much lower than your 1rm to keep you from crashing and burning.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Why did you switch to 3x5, just taking too long? Is he squatting 3x/week and adding weight every time?

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t have some more LP left in him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, at his age and height/weight I'd think he should be able to get more out of 5x5 before moving on. Especially on bench and row.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Me and my 15 year old son have been doing SL 5x5 since early November.  He will be a sophomore next year and should be the starting center on varsity.  He's 6'1" and weighs 245.  We switched from 5x5 to 3x5 and his squat reps were at 290. Deadlift is also 290.  Bench is only 145.(that needs work). His barbell row is also 145.

The main question involves squats.  His rest period between sets is 5-6 minutes.  Should we switch to 3x3 or maybe a different program.  He also lifts 3 days a week with the team but goes pretty light.  Their program isn't great so that's why we are doing our own thing.
View Quote

Are you looking for sheer size, or for strength?  That needs to be addressed before you can figure out a workout plan.

This is a big simplification, but fewer, faster, heavier, more explosive reps will primarily build strength (and some size).  More, slower reps (and sets) will primarily build size (and some strength).  Look at how bodybuilders lift vs. powerlifters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Those lifts seem pretty low for his size and weight.  Is his form fucked up?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those lifts seem pretty low for his size and weight.  Is his form fucked up?
View Quote

He just really started lifting in November.  He did lift lift some before last season but the Covid put a damper on how much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He just really started lifting in November.  He did lift lift some before last season but the Covid put a damper on how much.
View Quote

If form is good, he is either not eating correctly/enough or not sleeping enough, or both.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#8]
^ what he said. Also, for a young person who's not lifting very heavy, 5-6 minutes between sets seems excessive.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#9]
If I remember right, when I ran strong lifts, I ran a 2.5 minute rest.

Unless I failed a lift, then it was a 4 or 5 minute rest and then another attempt.

I used this app for everything when I ran it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stronglifts.app
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I remember right, when I ran strong lifts, I ran a 2.5 minute rest.

Unless I failed a lift, then it was a 4 or 5 minute rest and then another attempt.

I used this app for everything when I ran it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stronglifts.app
View Quote

I try to use the giant set method of active rest periods.

So I'll squat, then do the ab wheel, then do something like a set of curls, then 90 seconds of rest.

Helps keep work capacity up, and is less boring.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#11]
7-8 mins isn't unusual for someone who is moving through the later stages of a novice LP. I haven't read up on SL but I know Rip recommends up to 8 between sets if that's what it takes First Three Questions (it's the first one). If I switched programs when my rest got to 5 mins, I could have cheated myself out of about 100lbs of bar weight on the squat.

Of course that kind of sucks if you are doing 5x5. Usually you would go the other way, moving from 3x5 to 5x5 once it stopped providing the necessary stress. I hate that kind of volume but I am old. A kid shouldn't have any problem with it other than it taking a while.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#12]
There are lots of specific training programs for football.

Strength alone is not maximal if it comes at the expense of endurance, speed, and mobility.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are lots of specific training programs for football.

Strength alone is not maximal if it comes at the expense of endurance, speed, and mobility.
View Quote

Endurance comes fast.

Strength takes a long time to build.  

Using correct form while lifting builds mobility.

Explosive strength training translates into speed
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Is fat making up most of that weight? I weigh 180 and my lifts are higher than that, I'm with KaiK in that something seems off especially since the ratios between lifts are all wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure he's a little fluffy with those stats. I think Starting Strength is written to get kids like this strong. I'd buy the book and have him do that program as written. That's going to be the absolute fastest way to remedy the situation. He's not struggling with eating enough so this one shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is fat making up most of that weight? I weigh 180 and my lifts are higher than that, I'm with KaiK in that something seems off especially since the ratios between lifts are all wrong.
View Quote

He's only 15, so he hasn't had time to develop much strength yet.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#17]
There are a couple guys on my kids team that are the same way. Big, but not really developed yet. He’ll get there. That’s an easier fix than the little athletic guys that dominated for the last couple years but are now just getting the shit beat out of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top