Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2022 9:52:42 AM EDT
A lot of posters like to share stories they’ve seen on their social media platform of choice, usually Facebook. These links often include a tag “fbclid=“ unless the user deliberately strips it out.

Not a huge deal, but I like the idea of implementing some logic to strip social media and other analytical trackers from links shared on arf. Not sure how difficult it would be to do, but figured I’d throw the idea out there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Pro tip: if you're posting a link, look for the ? and delete it and everything that comes after.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pro tip: if you're posting a link, look for the ? and delete it and everything that comes after.
View Quote

Agreed. But since nobody has figured that out, I’m suggesting automating it
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Apparently I am guilty of this. I have cut and pasted links to stories in the past. But since I have no clue what all this means...............

If someone could post a copy of an example link, and how to remove the unwanted parts, I'd gladly do that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you post an example of a link you shared or have seen shared? I don't share stuff, so I'm not 100% on the link formation and risks, but I'll be more than happy to look at it and how we can help automate some of this.
View Quote

Sure. Here’s a midcap post

You can see the analytics after the “?”, as mentioned above.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sure. Here’s a midcap post

You can see the analytics after the “?”, as mentioned above.
View Quote

So if I'm copying a link like this from the address bar on another page, I need to delete all the characters after the "?" about 3/4 of the way out in the top line of the link?
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:So if I'm copying a link like this from the address bar on another page, I need to delete all the characters after the "?" about 3/4 of the way out in the top line of the link?
View Quote

Right, the "cleaner" version of that link would be https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-proves-yet-again-that-hes-just-not-very-brigh-1848835670 with the tracking stuff being ?fbclid=IwAR2kt-bzBJ9csAHSJ3DFMA1WZYuD5PiSzTYbRgw6sLGKcxyqTUC­zEtSjVrw

It isn't a major issue or anything to have the tracking and analytics there, but it does "feed the algo" for the social media sites. I'm inclined to avoid doing so when possible.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Right, the "cleaner" version of that link would be https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-proves-yet-again-that-hes-just-not-very-brigh-1848835670 with the tracking stuff being ?fbclid=IwAR2kt-bzBJ9csAHSJ3DFMA1WZYuD5PiSzTYbRgw6sLGKcxyqTUC­zEtSjVrw

It isn't a major issue or anything to have the tracking and analytics there, but it does "feed the algo" for the social media sites. I'm inclined to avoid doing so when possible.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Now if I can just remember to do that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I second this. It's a pet peeve of mine.

I think most of them start with a ?. Are there any other triggering characters? I wouldn't think it'd be hard to omit said character and beyond from url's when submitting a link. The function would be helpful for embedding tweets too. I've seen a ton of broken tweet embeds because the poster includes the "?" after the numbers.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
The worst one I've seen today:

Guy posted https://auction.mbzparts.com/?utm_source=Facebook_Ads+fb&utm_medium=Paid+6292724773674+Facebook_Mobile_Feed&utm_term=Wholesale+Image+Sets+-+Copy+6292724773674&utm_content=Facebook_Mobile_Feed+US+-+Chassis+6292721360074&utm_campaign=Wholesale+Auction+-+English+6292721359074&fbclid=IwAR0YKIPFXGmjSXTNZAI_XafSAKYZoR79JKwMiuG5Ht1XLEZzoxGQD8Saht4_aem_AVVv6z0f4UZBr5EQqkZbaZshCGsoGaxmsnq0RzzGIadtD6joUHPKmiLm117ARawwX7C8ZxufBssvkXD9615XZf_CA1rO7wWbIOHWcw6h-t5cjdDWk47sEZs6a1HzPWhKwI8

Instead of https://auction.mbzparts.com/
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of this in the TX shooting thread now as people rush to click and then share whatever they see on Facebook
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top