Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2018 4:23:33 PM EDT
I have an Epiphone SG Pro 400 ( GS copy ). It has the factory Alnico pickups.

I'm using Dean Markley Blues Steel 10s on it right now.

I'm needing a set of 9s for the bottom ( high E , D, G ), because I'm a bit less than a half step from getting some notes on some pretty harsh bends with the 10s and the 9s will get me there.

I don't want to lose what I have on the bottom and mids. I don't want to lose the clarity of have too much of a tinny sound or get muddy, so I don't want to go with the bottom half of the 9 set.

Rather than buy a couple of of sets to make a custom set, what would you guys recommend?

I'm looking at some of the D' Adarrio custom sets but don't know where to go.

I don't do a lot of alternate tuning, other than half step drops, drop D, very rarely do I do a C.

I mostly play 80s rock / hard rock / hair band rock, New Wave, and my own stuff, so I don't overburden it with distortion or anything, gain usually stays around 3-7, with a little reverb, delay, and some phaser ( mild - just enough to be tasty).

Also, my style is sort of sloppy, especially on this guitar. I learned on a Strat and played Strats for most of my life, or something similar in design, and will probably go back to one. I just play them a lot better and cleaner.

Also, I'm a synth player ( was, got to get some new stuff ), and a bassist, not a guitarist per say, at least not a lead guy, rhythm is where I'm comfortable, some bluesy type leads I'm ok on though.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Use string gauge to adjust string tension.  A Gibson usually likes 10's with standard tuning.  If you down tune go up in gauge for example.

For bends you need to strengthen you hands.

I like Elixer coated strings.  Many different flavors now.

Newer Gibson's are coming with 9's and they are too loose IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, what he said above me.  You gotta get some thicker strings on that axe!

I run Ernie Ball 10-46 on my Strat.  I've had it down to C standard and it's fine. I do a lot of half-step down, drop D, D standard stuff on it lately.

I run EB 13-72 on my Baritone.  After playing it for a while, between the thick strings and longer scale, when I pick up the Strat, feels like a toy!
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, 10s on a 24 3/4" scale in straight E should be just about right. But you can try what some call a "hybrid" or "light top/heavy bottom" set. It'll have lighter strings for the higher strings and heavier for the lower strings. And I'm not talking about when you're looking down at the guitar, I'm talking about their pitch. Go to stringsandbeyond.com and lookup Dean Markley Blue Steel guitar strings. I'm the description, they have some hybrid sets listed. And if those don't suit you, D'Addario has a few more choices in hybrid sets available. Myself, I've been trying out some NYXLs. Hybrid 10s on the LPs and hybrid 9s on the other stuff. I just haven't been happy with Dean Markley's quality lately, so I switched. So far the NYXLs seem to be less bright and have more low mids. Time Will tell.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a set of Elixer .9-.46 Nanowebs.

I really liked the Elixers I had on my SR500 bass with the Bartolini pick ups.  I bought a set of round wounds to try on them, they sound good, mids are better I think ( play a lot of New Wave-slap/pop ), but they just don't thump like the Elixers did. I'm going back tpo them on that. I'm looking at an Aria Pro SB1000 and rounds sound great there. That will be my next bass probably. More of a bassist than a guitar player.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#5]
SRV played 13's tuned down half a step so they probably felt like 12's in standard E. I prefer 10's on my Strat and have run 11's on the LP but have it with 10's now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top