Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/29/2021 12:07:44 PM EDT
GoFundMe link

Hello everyone! I’m mostly a lurker on this site, I just enjoy reading posts, but some of you might know my boyfriend, SISUltra (Brian). He has been a member for over 12 years with his current account, and he also had an old account before then. The Holiday season hasn’t been the best for him. Brian has been in pain for months with increasing numbness and loss of mobility in his right leg. A few days before Christmas he had an MRI which showed a ruptured disc in his back between L4 and L5, and a large broken piece is compressing his spinal column. He is trying to get a surgery ASAP because this sounds like it could cause permanent damage, and is meeting with a neurosurgeon next week.

This has become a great hardship, financially, physically, and emotionally for Brian and his family. He is a devoted father and partner and desires to get back to work, and resume all his usual activities including working on and riding dirt bikes with his son. Most importantly, he should feel much better after surgery with a higher quality of life.

The cost of surgery, physical therapy, and the inability to work has created a financial hardship and he is in need of some help. He rarely asks for help but this time it is necessary as this is an unexpected expense and he asked me to create this GoFundMe for him.

We would greatly appreciate it if you support him in any way possible.

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Page 1
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi everyone.  I first want to thank my wonderful woman for setting this up and asking Striker for approval.  Thank you Striker for the approval.  

This issue has horribly affected my life both socially and financially.  I wouldn’t wish this pain on my worst enemy.  I don’t post much and I let my membership lapse momentarily, but I am on here daily.  I appreciate all of the insights and contributions this site provides.  I know there have been a lot of fundraisers lately and that everyone is probably tapped out from Christmas.  Even if you can spare a dollar it would be greatly appreciated.  

I am praying that I can get surgery soon as the pain level is off the charts and my mobility has been significantly impacted.  I pray that once I have surgery I can regain full function of my right leg.  I appreciate anything anyone can do, I appreciate any prayers that can be sent my way as well.  I am pretty down lately.  Merry Christmas everyone and Happy New Year.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Page 1. We would appreciate any help possible.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit.

Best of luck, hope recovery is quick and complete.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Hit.  Donated and wish you better times.  Let's go ar15.com!
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Bump.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Subscribed. When I get a few shekels next month I'll float some of your way
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Subscribed. When I get a few shekels next month I'll float some of your way
View Quote

I appreciate it.  Woke up feeling something awful today.  I appreciate anything anyone can do.  I hope everyone has a wonderful day.  The New Year is coming up. What is everyone planning?
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I saved a little cash on a flight to Tampa for New Years, so I'll share the wealth.

Good luck. Back and rib issues suck cause you use them so much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
20 bucks is 20 bucks.
sorry it ain't more.

Fuck back issues.

Hope 2022 is better than 2021 bro.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
20 bucks is 20 bucks.
sorry it ain't more.

Fuck back issues.

Hope 2022 is better than 2021 bro.
View Quote

Anything, including good wishes and prayers are greatly appreciated.  I am doing everything I can to not feel worthless.  I can’t do anything I normally do.  I either have to lay down and do nothing or gimp myself to the bathroom.  I have never not been able to use a limb until now.  It’s frustrating to say the least.

I am not used to laying around doing nothing.  My son and I would be dirt bike riding right now if it weren’t for this. Poor guy is bored out of his mind.  I have an appointment next week with a different Neurosurgeon.  Hopefully he can get me well.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh, dang, dude.

I had a double discectomy 2 years ago next week (IIRC). Scary stuff, but mine healed very well and I was back to normal life within a few weeks. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Back surgeries in general are LIGHT YEARS better than they used to be.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oh, dang, dude.

I had a double discectomy 2 years ago next week (IIRC). Scary stuff, but mine healed very well and I was back to normal life within a few weeks. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Back surgeries in general are LIGHT YEARS better than they used to be.
View Quote

I am glad to hear you recovered.  How long is the recovery period?  Did you have any nerve damage that improved?  I am really worried that my nerves are getting damaged permanently.  I am hoping to regain my mobility back 100%.  I am also terrified of surgery for some reason so I am glad to hear it went well for you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I am sure riding is a core passion but man you need to reconsider that one. I only do risky shit now if it will get me paid or laid.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am sure riding is a core passion but man you need to reconsider that one. I only do risky shit now if it will get me paid or laid.

View Quote

Lol.  I honestly don’t do anything but basic trail riding.  I don’t jump or even turn fast.  My son is the one who wants to go fast and learn jumping.  I pray I can get back on a bike after surgery.  Off-roading is the one major outdoor activity I do with my son.  I don’t see him all the time due to divorce.  We shall see.  I am sure there is an underlying issue as to why my disc decided to a shatter.  I didn’t crash or do anything crazy.  

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lol.  I honestly don’t do anything but basic trail riding.  I don’t jump or even turn fast.  My son is the one who wants to go fast and learn jumping.  I pray I can get back on a bike after surgery.  Off-roading is the one major outdoor activity I do with my son.  I don’t see him all the time due to divorce.  We shall see.  I am sure there is an underlying issue as to why my disc decided to a shatter.  I didn’t crash or do anything crazy.  
View Quote

I hear you about quality time.I have degenerative disk issues and I can fuck myself up for months if I am not careful so I stopped Mountain bike riding. Not because I am EXTREME but because wiping out might keep me from paying the bills. I bought a super nice Speshy full suspension and promptly put myself out of commission carrying 45 iMac computers at work. Bike is collecting dust now

Anyway $20 doesn't buy me harping on you, lol. Prayers for a full and lasting recovery. Any surgery is terrifying so I get your anxiety. Take care of yourself after the fix
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am glad to hear you recovered.  How long is the recovery period?  Did you have any nerve damage that improved?  I am really worried that my nerves are getting damaged permanently.  I am hoping to regain my mobility back 100%.  I am also terrified of surgery for some reason so I am glad to hear it went well for you.
View Quote

IIRC I had surgery on 1-6-20 and on 1-20-20 I was hobbling around on a cane at Lobby Day. Pain wasn't too bad during the days but was significant at night (because I grossly overexerted myself) when I tried to sleep. But by week 3 it was largely gone. By week 8 the doc cleared me to return to exercise, including weightlifting at moderate intensity.

I had zero long term damage so no 'recovery' to speak of there. Please understand this: the example the docs used with me was that the excruciating, tear-jerking, weeping, terrified to move an inch, sort of pain you have at times with back injuries, is caused by putting pressure on your spine that is on the order of intensity of a dime sitting in a countertop.

IOW, a tiny, tiny bit of pressure on your spinal column produces an indescribable (to those who've never had it) level of pain. So no matter how excruciating the pain seems, it's probably doing no long term damage any more than laying a dime on a tabletop scratches the tabletop. Point of all that being this: merely having intense pain now doesn't mean you're doing damage that'll follow you in the long term. If you have done damage, yes, that's a problem. But your doctor needs to assess that based on your MRI and what he sees during surgery. You can't judge long-term damage by 'feel'. Because everything feels terrible with a back injury.

We have a friend who broke his neck(!) about 13 months ago. SERIOUS damage. And he's walking again, albeit barely. Point being, not only is surgery light-years better now than it used to be, but physical therapy is better, too. It's a different world than what people in your shoes faced 10-20-30 years ago.

Only downside: The surgeons started putting me on the OR table and strapping me down before the meds knocked me out. That sucked for about 5 seconds. When I woke up, I was much better. Then I found out ~36 hours later that I'm one of the lucky people who react to succinylcholine. They use it to relax your muscles; 24-48 hours later your muscles overreact by tightening up to the point that even the tiniest movement causes pain. Then in another 24 hours that goes away and you're on the road to recovery.

Another thing: if the doc says you can't lift over X amount of weight for Y period of time, don't push it. Stay well within those guidelines. Don't push it. But DO get up and walk ASAP, as much as possible. Moving your muscles gently but frequently promotes healing.

You'll be keenly aware of your back injury for a long time to come and you'll think of it every time you consider running, jumping, or doing daredevil stuff.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Hit
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

IIRC I had surgery on 1-6-20 and on 1-20-20 I was hobbling around on a cane at Lobby Day. Pain wasn't too bad during the days but was significant at night (because I grossly overexerted myself) when I tried to sleep. But by week 3 it was largely gone. By week 8 the doc cleared me to return to exercise, including weightlifting at moderate intensity.

I had zero long term damage so no 'recovery' to speak of there. Please understand this: the example the docs used with me was that the excruciating, tear-jerking, weeping, terrified to move an inch, sort of pain you have at times with back injuries, is caused by putting pressure on your spine that is on the order of intensity of a dime sitting in a countertop.

IOW, a tiny, tiny bit of pressure on your spinal column produces an indescribable (to those who've never had it) level of pain. So no matter how excruciating the pain seems, it's probably doing no long term damage any more than laying a dime on a tabletop scratches the tabletop. Point of all that being this: merely having intense pain now doesn't mean you're doing damage that'll follow you in the long term. If you have done damage, yes, that's a problem. But your doctor needs to assess that based on your MRI and what he sees during surgery. You can't judge long-term damage by 'feel'. Because everything feels terrible with a back injury.

We have a friend who broke his neck(!) about 13 months ago. SERIOUS damage. And he's walking again, albeit barely. Point being, not only is surgery light-years better now than it used to be, but physical therapy is better, too. It's a different world than what people in your shoes faced 10-20-30 years ago.

Only downside: The surgeons started putting me on the OR table and strapping me down before the meds knocked me out. That sucked for about 5 seconds. When I woke up, I was much better. Then I found out ~36 hours later that I'm one of the lucky people who react to succinylcholine. They use it to relax your muscles; 24-48 hours later your muscles overreact by tightening up to the point that even the tiniest movement causes pain. Then in another 24 hours that goes away and you're on the road to recovery.

Another thing: if the doc says you can't lift over X amount of weight for Y period of time, don't push it. Stay well within those guidelines. Don't push it. But DO get up and walk ASAP, as much as possible. Moving your muscles gently but frequently promotes healing.

You'll be keenly aware of your back injury for a long time to come and you'll think of it every time you consider running, jumping, or doing daredevil stuff.
View Quote

That is really good to hear.  I hope I can get it scheduled soon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I hear you about quality time.I have degenerative disk issues and I can fuck myself up for months if I am not careful so I stopped Mountain bike riding. Not because I am EXTREME but because wiping out might keep me from paying the bills. I bought a super nice Speshy full suspension and promptly put myself out of commission carrying 45 iMac computers at work. Bike is collecting dust now

Anyway $20 doesn't buy me harping on you, lol. Prayers for a full and lasting recovery. Any surgery is terrifying so I get your anxiety. Take care of yourself after the fix
View Quote

I will definitely take it way easier moving forward.  Maybe even way down the road get a side by side so I can sit normal.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh, I was wondering why you had a cane...

Get well soon, SISUltra...
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ahhh, I was wondering why you had a cane...

Get well soon, SISUltra...
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump!
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any exercises you can recommend after I get surgery?  I really want to strengthen my back.  I am only 41 and seem to be the only one in my family with issues like this.  I am wondering if a 20+ year desk job and sitting all day every day for half my life helped degenerate my discs.  

I need to ask the doctor about the disc that broke and my other discs to see if there is anything else I need to attend to beyond getting the broken piece off my spinal cord.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#31]
OST for later
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Put some money in the kitty.  Good luck and get better soon.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Any exercises you can recommend after I get surgery?  I really want to strengthen my back.  I am only 41 and seem to be the only one in my family with issues like this.  I am wondering if a 20+ year desk job and sitting all day every day for half my life helped degenerate my discs.  

I need to ask the doctor about the disc that broke and my other discs to see if there is anything else I need to attend to beyond getting the broken piece off my spinal cord.
View Quote

My surgeon had an assistant that talked that over with me and I was cleared to go back to my regular weightlifting regime......about a week before 'rona shut the gyms down.

He wanted me walking as much as possible as soon as possible and after 8 weeks told me to do anything I wanted to strengthen my core, but start with low-impact low-weight stuff. I think he gave me more specifics, but I honestly don't remember. Again, it's 2 years later, and I pretty much do whatever exercise I want now.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 1:29:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Bump for the night crew.  Thank you everyone for your consideration and advice.  Have a Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 1:31:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My surgeon had an assistant that talked that over with me and I was cleared to go back to my regular weightlifting regime......about a week before 'rona shut the gyms down.

He wanted me walking as much as possible as soon as possible and after 8 weeks told me to do anything I wanted to strengthen my core, but start with low-impact low-weight stuff. I think he gave me more specifics, but I honestly don't remember. Again, it's 2 years later, and I pretty much do whatever exercise I want now.
View Quote

That’s good news.  I want to get back into hot Yoga and the gym once I am better.  Strengthen my core a lot better.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Morning bump.  Thanks everyone that has helped, sent good wishes and prayers.  Have a great New Year’s Eve and stay safe.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone still go out until midnight and party until the ball drops?  I haven’t stayed up for New Year in a while.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump

Probably staying in, avoiding random gunfire. ??
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bump

Probably staying in, avoiding random gunfire. ??
View Quote

That is a great idea.  I live in Albuquerque.  It’s gets pretty sporty at midnight.  I remember going up in my dads roof when I was a kid and him finding bullets stuck in the shingles.  People here are morons and shoot in the air like we live in Pakistan.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#41]
It’s 5 o’clock somewhere bump.  Anything anyone can do is greatly helpful in getting me back in my feet so I can take care of my family.  I appreciate you all.  Be safe tonight.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Bump for good cause
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bump for good cause
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Page 1 for late crew.  Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Late night bump for the night owls.  Hope you enjoyed your evening.  Trying to sleep but my damn back hurts too bad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Good morning everyone.  Hope everyone had a great and safe evening.  Again I appreciate anything anyone can do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Bump.  Thanks everyone.  Feel like crap today.  Tired of not sleeping.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#49]
New years bump
Step up ARF everyone donate 10 bucks . Takes a minute
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top