Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2022 3:00:49 AM EDT
My1993 Chevy 1500 350 5.7 motor is making this noise. I can't seem to get it to make it while in park and it only does it on hard acceleration. The truck runs quietly otherwise. I just finished putting a new exhaust manifold on the driver side. I don't know if the noise was there before I did that because it had a really loud exhaust leak which I would have just associated it with the exhaust leak sound or if it has anything to do with the work I did.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
U joint.  Your about to drop a shaft.  Get under it and check bolts, wiggle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice Lego dash, BTW
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:06:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice Lego dash, BTW
View Quote

A Possibility is something inside the exhaust from the repair, or a piece of the cat honeycomb breaking off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Possible cracked flexplate.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
If it makes the noise while stationary get a cheap stethoscope, then with a helper load the engine and locate it. Really sounds like an exhaust noise. Any time an exhaust manifold is removed it should be checked for warpage and on that year high temp silicone should seal it. Do not use gaskets unless stainless is available, the manifold expands too much and will tear them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The exhaust manifold is new. I should note that I had to remove the head to remove 2 broken exhaust bolts the the manifold was really warped. The sound does not happen when the truck is in park.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll check those out when i get home. Thanks guys. Hopefully it's not something in the exhaust. I had it covered for the most part but there was a lot of work done trying to get the broken bolts out and finally just removing the head.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just looked up a video and it does sound kind of like that but wouldn't make that sound all the time and not just in drive on acceration?
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just looked up a video and it does sound kind of like that but wouldn't make that sound all the time and not just in drive on acceration?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crank wear, under load the crank moves enough to allow the plate to hit whatever it's hitting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 12:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Any way to verify that? I took of the cover to the flex plate I could not see any signs of damage look fine no cracks or damaged teeth.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Make sure you don't have any bolts backing out of the flex plate.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont know if this helps any I just put the truck on Jack's and put it into gear hoping to find where the sound is coming from and I can't get it to make the sound so it only makes the sound under a load like driving up a hill or hitting the gas a  little harder than usual from a stop.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm at a loss.  Waiting for diagnosis.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it 4 wheel drive? If so, get ready to replace the transfer case if it's not the flexplate. Your primary chain is likely jumping the teeth and it WILL make that sound.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#15]
While you're under there, check the torque converter bolts as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I just went under it and to spray the exhaust bolts on the passenger side with some penetrating oil to get ready to drop the exhaust so I could completely remove the flex plate cover to check the bolts and noticed something probably unrelated but
worth noting. I just noticed that the emergency break is not working right. I noticed the cable going in is loose on drivers side other side is secure drivers side pulls out a little and when I go to apply the emergency break it stops the rear wheels but but will not lock in the lock position.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it 4 wheel drive? If so, get ready to replace the transfer case if it's not the flexplate. Your primary chain is likely jumping the teeth and it WILL make that sound.
View Quote

Yes it is 4 wheel drive. I am going to try and get a better look at the flywheel from I could tell last night it looked fine but I could not see much of it because the cover was just moved to the side.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes it is 4 wheel drive. I am going to try and get a better look at the flywheel from I could tell last night it looked fine but I could not see much of it because the cover was just moved to the side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to bump it around to look at it well. If it is the X-fer chain that is loose, it will eat through the case sooner rather then later if it does jump.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like a cracked flex plate.  They crack at the bolt holes.  You’d have to pull the trans to see it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I dropped the exhaust so I could look take cover completely off. The flex plate looks fine no cracks, I can't see any warpage. the teeth all look good no signs of anything abnormal, bolts are tight.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is there a way to confirm this without pulling it?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It sounds like a cracked flex plate.  They crack at the bolt holes.  You’d have to pull the trans to see it.
View Quote

I cant see the bolts that attach to the crank. So the only way to see for sure is to remove trans. Ugh. I wish there was a way to know for sure before having to do that. Everything else from what I can see with the cover removed and I have looked all the way around it looks fine

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack the front wheels up off the ground with truck in park and X fer case locked in 4hi, turn the front driveshaft, how much slop is in it before it stops? Little bit is OK, 1/4 of the driveshaft or more isn't good.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I cant see the bolts that attach to the crank. So the only way to see for sure is to remove trans. Ugh. I wish there was a way to know for sure before having to do that. Everything else from what I can see with the cover removed and I have looked all the way around it looks fine

View Quote
You can buy a cheap endoscope for your phone on Amazon. They're like $20. I use mine for all kinds of shit. During the wuflu nonsense, I even took a screenshot of the inside of my ear and text my doctor.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
If you think it is the flex plate, remove the torque converter bolts and push the converter towards the transmission.  That will give you a little more room to look up at the bolts.  Use a screwdriver/pry bar to turn the flex plate back and forth.  You should be able to see/hear the crack, if there is one.

The chain slipping in the T-case wouldn't happen unless in 4wd.  The pump in the T-case likes to wear out the back half of the case though.  Check the T-case fluid while under there.

ETA: Finally got the video to play for me.  Make sure the fuel lines going to the throttle body are not rubbing against the firewall.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Well...'sup with the truck,Bro??
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:16:36 AM EDT
[#27]
First I want to say thank you everyone for your advice.

I had another person say it could be the return spring on the starter so I put the truck back up on blocks and dropped the starter and it's fine and I could get a better look and again the flex plate looked fine. I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic who recently had surgery on his hands so wasn't able to help sooner who happen to be traveling past my town putting him close to house so he was able to stop by he was going to help me move the transmission back so I could get to the bolts and he took a look at it and took a pry bar to it and said it shows no sign of being the flex plate. He told me to remove the valve covers and to go one by one and loosen each lifter till it knocks then give it quarter turn then pause then another quarter turn until it was one full turn then do the next one. I did this and now the noise is gone.

I would have never guessed a lifter could be that loud and make that kind of noise only while in gear on the ground on acceleration.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 2:31:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow.

I appreciate the update
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First I want to say thank you everyone for your advice.

I had another person say it could be the return spring on the starter so I put the truck back up on blocks and dropped the starter and it's fine and I could get a better look and again the flex plate looked fine. I had a friend of mine who is a mechanic who recently had surgery on his hands so wasn't able to help sooner who happen to be traveling past my town putting him close to house so he was able to stop by he was going to help me move the transmission back so I could get to the bolts and he took a look at it and took a pry bar to it and said it shows no sign of being the flex plate. He told me to remove the valve covers and to go one by one and loosen each lifter till it knocks then give it quarter turn then pause then another quarter turn until it was one full turn then do the next one. I did this and now the noise is gone.

I would have never guessed a lifter could be that loud and make that kind of noise only while in gear on the ground on acceleration.
View Quote

Never heard of such a thing.  Guess waking up was worth it today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top