Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 2/16/2020 10:53:35 AM EDT
We have a 9 year old female Chihuahua named Mazzy.

Other than a mild case of the beetus, she's perfectly healthy. We keep her diabetes managed well and she's still active...we went for a walk yesterday, played with her toy, etc.

After she chewed through an electrical cord as a pup, she's been very good about only chewing things that belong to her....i.e., toys.

As she matured, instead of ripping toys up, if she really liked a toy, she'd take care of it and keep it for a long time.

My mother has a dog and she'd bought a chew toy for it...fabric stuffed with that fiberfill stuff. Mazzy loved it so much that she slept with it in her bed for a few days. Even after a couple of months, she still hasn't completely destroyed it and will still bring it to us to throw.

But, with that toy, she began a strange behavior. She nibbles with her front teeth on it.

And then, she started this behavior with things that she identifies as "hers"...her blanket, etc.

She doesn't destroy them. Just nibbles at them.

We gave her an old towel (being Mountaineers, it's a Gold Rush towel, lol). Right now, she's going to town on it.

Anybody ever hear of an old dog picking up a weird habit like this? I don't think there's any harm in it, as she wouldn't chew anything that she knew she shouldn't, but it struck me as odd.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
We have a male Chihuahua that does the same thing.  Better than chewing on other things.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Dog is lonely. This is a behavior dogs do to each other, my Lab and Pyrenees nibble each other all the time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
When our yellow lab was about 5, he developed a very odd issue. We always leave the TV on if we are not home, volume off

One day out of the blue....Bear goes nuts at the TV when movie credits roll at the end....he runs to the TV, jumps up and barks like a mad dog. Change channel, he stops. If he is sleeping...he still knows credits are playing....he now knows credit type music. He can be in another room...same thing.

Credits that go left to right dont bother him. Credits at the end of a TV show dont bother him, all the crap under the news doesnt bother him, just scrolling movie credits.

Its pretty funny, he is almost 11 now and still does it. Watching the end of something like the Avengers is something we almost never get to do anymore

Toys, Bear has certain toys he will kill others he takes care of like a pup. I bought a $14 remote car at Costco a few months ago, Bear was sure it was alive, he played with it very gently,  and then would pick it up and wrap it in a blanket....it was too damn cute. But after 2 days...he got the clue, it wasnt alive....so he killed it.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top