Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2021 1:48:38 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Got a couple of doors warped.  Tried laying them flat and weighting it down.  Helped a little.
Should I make some saw kerfs in those cross members to give it some flex?  
Glue and flatten with weight or no glue and threaded rod parallel across the door to pull it flat?  
Only a couple of doors out of 14.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Are both sides finished the same way?

Even the number of coats of finish must be the same on both sides.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Warped wood cannot be fixed.  

It was cut from a leaning tree and grew that way to counter the effects of gravity.  

Google ‘reaction wood’.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Warped wood cannot be fixed.  

It was cut from a leaning tree and grew that way to counter the effects of gravity.  

Google ‘reaction wood’.
View Quote

Generally this.

It's really annoying to bring home lumber, let it sit a few days, plane it and have it take a bender, but it happens.

You can do things to help like storing it flat, but once it takes a bend due to internal stress relief, it's really, really hard to make it straight again.
Maybe steaming....
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are both sides finished the same way?

Even the number of coats of finish must be the same on both sides.
View Quote

Front is more of a pickled finish.  Old and dull.  They’re solid wood pecky cypress.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I considered steaming.  I think it would just warp again.
It’s only 2 doors so I thought if it could cut shallow kerfs across those cross members to provide some flexibility, I could use a tension rod to pull it flatter.  
Intention is to refinish or paint cabinets.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Lay it face down on a very flat surface. Take off those cross members and reinstall them. Even better if you could insert a strip of metal underneath them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lay it face down on a very flat surface. Take off those cross members and reinstall them. Even better if you could insert a strip of metal underneath them.
View Quote

I’ll have to look at that.  Might work for these.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Lay flat on concrete, park M1A2 Abrams on them for 24 hours.  They will be flat as they will ever get.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ll have to look at that.  Might work for these.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
You are wasting your time and efforts.  Please read this.  It cannot be fixed, only replaced with good wood.  

Reaction wood

It is the curse of every woodworker.  

The only way to get rid of it is to slice the wood into thin strips, alternatively flipping them and gluing them back together.  
That is why you don’t see properly laminated wood warp.  

Take it apart, identify which ones are warped, burn them. Buy the same kind of wood and rebuild it.  

Even if you reinforce with angle iron, you will always have trouble with it.  

It grew that way.  Steaming, bending, forcing it will not work.  It will always go back because it is in the molecular structure.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The pictures don't help me understand the warp.

Is it a twist?, curl?, cup?

If it's curled and it's from side to side it's because of moisture/humidity changed along with the way the doors are made. If so, is there something causing those 2 doors to be exposed to more humidity or a source of heat (lower humidity)?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah pictures don’t do it justice. It’s a curl I guess, turning out from the cabinet box.

I’m only messing with the two because there’s 12 others that are just fine.  

Prob have to remove and replace those cross members.  

If I had an M1 to park on it I would!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#13]
you know if you're near Charlotte you could come by and use my woodshop
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah pictures don’t do it justice. It’s a curl I guess, turning out from the cabinet box.

I’m only messing with the two because there’s 12 others that are just fine.  

Prob have to remove and replace those cross members.  

If I had an M1 to park on it I would!
View Quote

If you took the battens off the back, you could determine if they were flat or not.  If not, you could try to plane them to be flat and reinstall.  If it is reaction wood, planing will not flatten them.

Alternatively, bond them on using an epoxy or "Bondo Wood Filler" as a "liquid shim" to fill the gap between the flat panel and the warped battens.  <-- this approach is highly effective.

If the battens come off and are flat, it is the boards.  Re-assemble them alternating the growth ring directions - cup up, cup down, cup up, cup down,....  That should help flatten the panel.  Reinstall the battens.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you know if you're near Charlotte you could come by and use my woodshop
View Quote

I’ve got an old Craftsman table saw

Thx!  If I need to do more than just adjust them I will give you a shout.  
I’m only about an hour or so from that area.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you took the battens off the back, you could determine if they were flat or not.  If not, you could try to plane them to be flat and reinstall.  If it is reaction wood, planing will not flatten them.

Alternatively, bond them on using an epoxy or "Bondo Wood Filler" as a "liquid shim" to fill the gap between the flat panel and the warped battens.  <-- this approach is highly effective.

If the battens come off and are flat, it is the boards.  Re-assemble them alternating the growth ring directions - cup up, cup down, cup up, cup down,....  That should help flatten the panel.  Reinstall the battens.
View Quote

I’ll see what all happens.  Adjusting and maybe replacing them.  

Thanks all for the ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top