Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 9:33:41 PM EDT
LOL, I don't know what to say, I've been building fires for 40 years, but need some advice.

I normally hold a couple pieces of burning newspaper up the flu to reverse the cold air so I don't smoke up the house.  For whatever reason, I'm having issues with an old wood stove.  It has a top stack that bends 45 and runs through the wall for about 5 feet.  Then up a good 15 feet or so.

Well, no luck tonight.  It took me 30 minutes of smoking up the entire house before the flow reversed.  For 25 of those minutes, the top of the stove heated, but the stack was ice cold 2 inches higher.

What are some other ways to prime the flue and reverse the cold air flow.  This is an old Franklin stove and there is no way to come close to sealing the doors.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you try opening one of the house's windows slightly?
Air can't go out, without air coming in from somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but not for the first couple of minutes.  It cleared up and is sucking all the crap up and out now...  My eyes are still burning.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Well at least it's going now.
Some times atmospheric conditions make it very difficult to get it going.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I was starting to think there was a squirrel nest or something in it
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
When was the last cleaning?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Crack a window.

If you have a stove with the upper control that opens the flue directly for starting, don't pull that lever until you are ready to start.
Light a wad of paper on top of the wood near the flue, THEN, pull that lever.
That should help prevent the cold stack of air in the flue from rushing into the house.

Cold air is denser, when that damper opens, it pours into the house via gravity.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a heavy draft, even with the flue closed.  It's a rotating butterfly style.  It took a Sunday paper to reverse the flow.  Most of which was blown out due to the extreme down draft.  I need something like a propane torch or road flare... JK.

In my upstairs fireplace, a single sheet of paper will work.  Oh, well.  I just need to be more patient and not rush it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You probably have to crack a window. Was something else running in the house that draws air? Dryer, furnace/boiler etc? If so it’ll be drawing air in down through the chimney.

This happened to me once. I was trying to start a fire and all the smoke kept pouring in the house. It dawned on me my wife was running the dryer, as soon as I cracked a window to defeat the negative pressure I was all set.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You said the stove pipe/chimney extends about 15', is your roof only 10'?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Your stove pipe is getting dirty. Soot collects in the pipes disturbing its ability to draw air correctly.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a heavy draft, even with the flue closed.  It's a rotating butterfly style.  It took a Sunday paper to reverse the flow.  Most of which was blown out due to the extreme down draft.  I need something like a propane torch or road flare... JK.

In my upstairs fireplace, a single sheet of paper will work.  Oh, well.  I just need to be more patient and not rush it.
View Quote
Try these?
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, the torch!

Furnace on the same level was running full ahead.

I'm eyeballing the height.  Flue stack is 4 feet up.  Horizontal 4 feet out.  Maybe 15 to 20 feet up?

Floor to ceiling is 8 feet.  It exits mid run (13 feet?).  Then up above the roof 4-5 feet?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#14]
A small box fan, on low, in the window, for a couple of minutes is all it takes.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Crack window, make sure your furnace is turned off. And clean the thing out!

Had my fireplace cleaned professionally last year for the first time in over 20 years.  My only other cleanings were 2  chimney fires I got lucky with.
Cannot believe how much better my fireplace works now.
MAP gas torch would be a quick heater
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, the torch!

Furnace on the same level was running full ahead.

I'm eyeballing the height.  Flue stack is 4 feet up.  Horizontal 4 feet out.  Maybe 15 to 20 feet up?

Floor to ceiling is 8 feet.  It exits mid run (13 feet?).  Then up above the roof 4-5 feet?
View Quote
I’d bet money your furnace was the “issue”, since it is drawing air from inside the house to run. With your stove door closed it’s drawing air in from every crack and crevice in the house it can, when you open the stove door, suddenly the path of least resistance for air to enter is down your flue. Once that air path is established it’s going to be hard to reverse it no matter how much heat you’re trying to push up it.

Just be mindful, if you hear your furnace or dryer running when it’s time to light your stove, open a window near your furnace first and leave it open until your stove draft is established.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the replies.  I am going to give it another go tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top