Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2015 6:44:38 PM EDT
Hi all, first post on this great grand site . I'm compiling a list of stereotypes that surround women in outdoor sports (fishing, hunting, shooting, etc), from "Hey, you're a girl so you'll love this in glittery pink!" to "This couldn't possibly be fun for you."

Do y'all have any you absolutely can't stand, yet hear fairly often? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
"Females cant hit the broadside of a barn."

The looks on their faces when my husband and i came walking up with my sub-MOA Challenge target groupings was priceless...
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#2]
When I go to gun shows my pet peeve is, " how 'bout a nice pink one for the little lady?"
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#3]
luckily, i am friends with a pretty enlightened group of guys (shhh, dont tell them i said so ) who used to compete to find the biggest, nastiest, ugliest gun, with the most kick, for me to shoot--probably because i was willing to shoot it

i havent really run into any stereotypes beyond what has been mentioned

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Gun store employees (and table guys at gun shows) not bothering to listen to a word I say. They either turn and speak to my husband if he's there, or ignore whatever I said and grab the first pink revolver they can lay their hands on.

"Bitch, I asked about Hi Powers. Why are you handing me a pink Taurus?"

There are a couple stores in my area that aren't like that, but other than those two, the staff in those places make me want to kick puppies.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m late to the party here but couldn’t not respond to this. Howabout “Oh, I see you have bewbs. I don’t have any pink guns right now, but you can’t handle any recoil so lets look at some .22s and maybe a 410 if you want a shotgun. Oh, you want a handgun? Okay, here are some revolvers…. Pistols are pretty complicated and we wouldn’t want you to break a nail trying to work that slide…”
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I've taken my son deer hunting for the last five years, every year he gets a deer shows someone his proud picture and they turn to his dad and procede with the questions. When they find out I'm the Hunter I get a strange look like I'm some kind of freek..end of conversation.

Gun store...not fun!
Auto parts store..just as bad!
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite (and one I run into sort of frequently):

"But you don't look like you would be into guns!"

I get that from guys. The look on their faces when I self ID as a gun nut are hysterical!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I fit all the glittery pink stereotypes, and I'm not ashamed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The  most annoying one I've heard is, "But are you sure you'll be able to rack the slide, sweetie?"  LOL
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Our daughter started shooting ARs when she was 15.
Like everything else she does she has her own style.
So
At the range she is doing a mag dump.
(in this case mag dumps were an important part of getting ready for a Wild Boar hunt- paid off too because she was able to down a charging Boar in the brush)

Well
A couple of guys had some comments " Oh honey you ought to do this or that and you will do better"
That dosent go over well with my daughter.

The range was called safe and she collected her target brought it over to the guys and said "I do OK"
Ha Ha Ha Ha
No more comments from them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Kinda.

I can change my own oil, fish, and enjoy dressing up in skirts/ dresses.

I think a lot of people can't understand that people; men and women both, can be a balance of many different things.  Probably because they are so busy hiding from their own truths that they don't know what they can be.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I have several pink guns and I love them .  I did resist the urge to "pink" my .50 Beowulf though.  But then, it would look pretty awesome in pink and there aren't a lot of pink big bore AR's around.  

I've had a lot of guys just assume I don't know what I'm doing when window shopping at the local gun stores.  They either ignore you because "girls don't buy guns" or they come over and automatically start talking to you like need to be told what to buy.  I usually just throw out something intelligent about whatever product he's pitching and watch his face.  They almost always get a funny look on their face as they try to figure out what to say next and squirm.  It's entertaining.  

I can work on cars but I don't enjoy it so I don't do it.  I can hunt, fish and do a lot of stuff that are considered "guy stuff" which often gets the same reaction as the gun store but I just do the same thing and enjoy the squirm.

Link Posted: 1/19/2018 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My husband build me a .45acp on a bold action rifle.Has iron sights.. match barrel etc.. really nice and love shooting it.
I set up on the bench and most of the time I get the old farts telling me to to tell my husband to put  a decent scope on it "cause you wont hit anything with it"..

Or the fat Benelli fan boy  with his fat cigar looking down at me for shooting skeet  with a 410  shotgun and outshooting him..
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Assuming I want something pink.

Or flowery.

Recommending a revolver because they are "easier"

Drives me freakin' insane.

Oddly enough, it doesn't really bother me when they ask my boyfriend about a firearm I am carrying. I have NEVER been asked first. Guess I look like a pack animal. G-d bless 'im, whatever the question, he replies, "I don't know. Ask her, it's her gun."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top