Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2023 4:48:24 PM EDT
Quoted:
It's a Steeldive kinda day today !
View Quote

Ok I’m interested.

I hope @teats doesn’t mind me using his pic!

Would have a couple mechanical watches but they need winding. So I have been looking at a couple  automatics and I am a sucker for a good Submariner homage. Yes I would love a Rolex but $10K to invest in one is not going to happen in the next few years if at all so I need to stick to the homages for a while.

I saw one on Amazon for $125. Is this a good ?? way to go?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve read many positive reviews but I don’t have any yet. I do have a Tactical Frog Captain Willard homage that is very nice. The two companies are probably related somehow. I doubt you’ll be disappointed. They are very solidly built and have sapphire crystals.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought one on the 11-11 sale

Happy with it

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey !
I have a SD1970 I think w, turtle model too.
Got to www.Aliexpress.com,, and search Steeldive SD1953 or SD1954.
Look before you buy. Find the cheapest, on sale, one.
Might get below 90 bucks ?
I think I'm going to get an SD1968 Army engineer model next. It's a homage of a Seiko marinemaster.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]
For less than 100 bucks I like my Willard ripoff so much I bought a second blue one.
The black is better.
Nice ceramic bezel and keeps good time.

Personally I wouldn’t wear a sub homage.

Not that anyone gives a shit what I think.

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a Steeldive. This is a San Martin I picked up on the last AliExpress 11.11 sale. It cost me $200 and It keeps very good time, it gains about 3 seconds per day and is set crown up at night to lose 3 seconds.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:.

View Quote

I hear you, and have no problem with you saying that really. However I just don’t get the whole “wouldn’t wear a homage” thing. Genuine Rolex is far out of my budget but I really like the style. It’s like saying you wouldn’t shoot any 1911 besides a Colt 1911. Or you will never shoot a Ruger Blackhawk because they are a Colt Single Action Army homage.

As long as it is a quality automatic and doesn’t use the Rolex name I am good with it.

Even then, I mentioned in old posts that my father really liked the Submariner style and did have a two tone Rolex knock off that actually said Rolex. He passed away a couple years ago and I inherited them. He also had a couple genuine Rolexes but my step mother has those and I more than likely will never see them again. So while I personally wouldn’t buy a Rolex knock off, I have no issues with a homage because it is a great classic style that I like.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hear you, and have no problem with you saying that really. However I just don’t get the whole “wouldn’t wear a homage” thing. Genuine Rolex is far out of my budget but I really like the style. It’s like saying you wouldn’t shoot any 1911 besides a Colt 1911. Or you will never shoot a Ruger Blackhawk because they are a Colt Single Action Army homage.

As long as it is a quality automatic and doesn’t use the Rolex name I am good with it.

Even then, I mentioned in old posts that my father really liked the Submariner style and did have a two tone Rolex knock off that actually said Rolex. He passed away a couple years ago and I inherited them. He also had a couple genuine Rolexes but my step mother has those and I more than likely will never see them again. So while I personally wouldn’t buy a Rolex knock off, I have no issues with a homage because it is a great classic style that I like.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:.

I get that.
The two steeldive watches I bought are an homage to the Seiko Willard.
I guess the difference for me is that no one will ask if “that’s a Seiko Willard”
With a Rolex Homage it might get more attention.

Just my 0.02.

Enjoy whatever you get.

I do think Steeldive watches are a good value.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I get that.
The two steeldive watches I bought are an homage to the Seiko Willard.
I guess the difference for me is that no one will ask if “that’s a Seiko Willard”
With a Rolex Homage it might get more attention.

Just my 0.02.

Enjoy whatever you get.

I do think Steeldive watches are a good value.
View Quote

Yes I agree, a Submariner copy does carry some baggage. If asked I would definitely point out that it is not a Rolex also the Steeldive logo is very different than the Rolex name on the dial.

Thanks for the feedback about the value on the Steeldive! Actual owners of the brand are better than an internet site review any day.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Between the Steeldive hype on forums and YouTube, I bought an SD1953 from their US warehouse a couple of weeks ago. 316L construction with a sapphire crystal, Seiko movement, and absolutely ridiculously bright lume for $105 shipped. It was running around +15spd (well within spec), but I still bought a demagnetizer after using a couple of "hokey" iOS magnet detector apps. Sure enough after 30+ hours, it's showing less than +3spd.

I'm white collar in a blue collar field so literally no one cares what is on my wrist, and I couldn't care less that it's an homage.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a really nice looking watch

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I FO’d AliExpress $85.01 ETA 5/4/23 will update as they come!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Told you !
Under 90 bucks. What a deal !
Wait til you feel how solid, and heavy it is.
It's really surprising what you get.
Next you'll need a SD1970 of some flavor !
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my steeldive Willard. It needed adjusted after a while and local place took care of it. No complaints. I don’t have a high end to compare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Told you !
https://i.postimg.cc/8cN5YM7K/20230303_145030.jpg
View Quote

@teats you did this to me. I was perfectly happy but then you had to show me an auto that looks like that!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I FO’d AliExpress $85.01 ETA 5/4/23 will update as they come!
View Quote

Nice. I'm sure you'll love it. It really is a great looking watch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Told you !
https://i.postimg.cc/8cN5YM7K/20230303_145030.jpg
View Quote

Surprisingly, I really have no desire for a retro 70’s style. I associate those with old man arms and refuse to wear them for fear of getting old. The hands, the face, the case, I just can’t do it!  Willard’s along with flexabands are just a hard no for me. They look like my Grandfathers watches but not in a good way.

Now maybe if my Grandfathers were into Submariners then we are talking!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a 6309 turtle, not a Willard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Randomly came across this brand and Watchdive clones/replicas while searching on eBay. Might have to check them out, but the full lume bezel seems a little distracting.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Shows out for delivery via US Mail. Mail usually gets here between 3-5pm so should have unboxing later this evening.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Arrived early, 7 days from order to door.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Steeldive-SD1953-unboxing/178-2639425/
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:20:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Randomly came across this brand and Watchdive clones/replicas while searching on eBay. Might have to check them out, but the full lume bezel seems a little distracting.
View Quote

Maybe try a Rdunae 6105-8110?

Willard battle! Rdunae Vs. SteelDive | Looks over value? | Watch comparison | The Watcher

Or San Martin 6309
SteelDive 6105 VS. San Martin 6309 ? Comparison | The Watcher
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice watch.  I ordered my Pagani Design before I found out about Steeldive.

My watch came in today:
Attachment Attached File

Pagani Designs GMT with the Seiko NH34 movement, see through case back, screw-down crown, milled clasp, sapphire crystal and cyclops, ceramic bezel ring.

Link Posted: 4/21/2023 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ve had their Willard homage sans logo for a couple months now.

Keeps really good time for a mechanical watch. Quality seems excellent and it’s proven to be durable. The bracelet it came with seemed like a piece of junk but what can one expect for a $100 watch?

Thinking about getting one of the Addesdive Willards with the white dial to go with it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Well you jack wagons got me...
I've got a steeldive willard on the way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#25]
If it’s blame, it’s @teats fault.
If it’s credit, it was all me!
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it’s blame, it’s @teats fault.
If it’s credit, it was all me!
View Quote

It's a little of both!
I've been wanting one to go with my turtle, but couldn't bring myself to pay the price for a legit seiko.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For less than 100 bucks I like my Willard ripoff so much I bought a second blue one.
The black is better.
Nice ceramic bezel and keeps good time.

View Quote

I'd be more unhappy with them being Chinese than a Rolex homage.

Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'd be more unhappy with them being Chinese than a Rolex homage.

View Quote

Link to another site that sells quality Submariner style watches for under $100 please. Or Venmo me $10K and I will happily purchase Rolex.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Link to another site that sells quality Submariner style watches for under $100 please. Or Venmo me $10K and I will happily purchase Rolex.
View Quote

Okay.....

Fifty bucks more will get you an Orient. Fifty bucks less will get you a Casio Duro which has, at least, a Japanese movement....admittedly cased in China.  Still under $100 is an Invicta, Japanese movement out of Malaysia.

https://watchpursuits.com/watches-that-look-like-rolex-submariner/
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ah, Steeldive uses Seiko (Japanese) NH35A, and now day/date, NH36A movements.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Okay.....

Fifty bucks more will get you an Orient. Fifty bucks less will get you a Casio Duro which has, at least, a Japanese movement....admittedly cased in China.  Still under $100 is an Invicta, Japanese movement out of Malaysia.

https://watchpursuits.com/watches-that-look-like-rolex-submariner/
View Quote

Ok, from that list, these are the ones that look closest to the Submariner to me.

Invicta is China

Stuhrling is primarily made in China sometimes with Japanese movements and $250

LOREO looks the most comparable as far as price and is possibly a US company but says its components are from Asia. I will look into it more as I have never heard of them.

Pagiani Design is Chinese.

Parnis is Chinese

Lacz is Chinese

Reginald is quartz

San Martin is Chinese but with a Swiss movement but it is also $379

Most of those use Miota, Citizen and Seiko movements so really if you want a good homage to the Submariner yes you do have choices but all those choices are the same as the Steeldive in that they use Japanese movements and all the rest are Chinese components. Of those on the list the only brands I have heard about were Invicta, Pagiani Design and the Steeldive. The Invicta wings are a non-starter for me. The Steeldive has great reviews and a few members on this site have them and recommend them so I think I am good with my choice but will continue to research and learn more as always. Thank you for the list, that San Martin with a Swiss movement will get a closer look for sure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thank you for the list, that San Martin with a Swiss movement will get a closer look for sure.
View Quote

Check out Cronos and Sugess too.  Theres a tier or pecking order when it comes to the Chinese Ali Express type watches.  They change over time but some brands have higher fit and finish /QC and customer service than others.

This guy has some nice reviews:
Seestern / Sugess Ocean Star Full review

Check out Tisell too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I don’t like fake watches but when I read about the Steeldive “homage” I got interested,  was looking for another daily wear watch.  I gambled the $105’s and I have to say, after a week of wearing every day, I am impressed.  I took the watch down to my jeweler to have the band adjusted and he was impressed also.

I weighed my three favorite mechanical watches and they weigh:

Rolex GMT II: 4.44 ounces

Steeldive 1953:  6.0 ounces

Seiko 7002:  4.83 ounces

I think the Steeldive will work out great.  According to my iPhone the Steeldive is looking like +5 sec/day

The Seiko in the picture is a non-hacking date only, I wish I knew more about the watch, as I don’t think you see this one too often, please correct if I am wrong. I don’t think it is the SKX 007, as on the back it says 7002-7039.  It is about 28 years old and I paid $125 for it at Zales

If the Steeldive works out I will get another one, their Deep Sea Kermit homage looks good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don’t like fake watches but when I read about the Steeldive “homage” I got interested,  was looking for another daily wear watch.  I gambled the $105’s and I have to say, after a week of wearing every day, I am impressed.  I took the watch down to my jeweler to have the band adjusted and he was impressed also.

I think the Steeldive will work out great.  According to my iPhone the Steeldive is looking like +5 sec/day

The Seiko in the picture is a non-hacking date only, I wish I knew more about the watch, as I don’t think you see this one too often, please correct if I am wrong. I don’t think it is the SKX 007, as on the back it says 7002-7039.  It is about 28 years old and I paid $125 for it at Zales

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/757F5218-88F6-4C24-BA76-507C8C7E9515-2813531.jpg

If the Steeldive works out I will get another one, their Deep Sea Kermit homage looks good.
View Quote

Great looking GMT! I do need to point out that while there are people that would wear a $10-$20K watch while doing manual labor and activities that would put them at risk for very costly damage. That may be okay for some but I defiantly would not be comfortable with that, but a watch that cost under $100? Much more likely to be worn often and hard!
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Great looking GMT! I do need to point out that while there are people that would wear a $10-$20K watch while doing manual labor and activities that would put them at risk for very costly damage. That may be okay for some but I defiantly would not be comfortable with that, but a watch that cost under $100? Much more likely to be worn often and hard!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16476/757F5218-88F6-4C24-BA76-507C8C7E9515-2813531.jpg

Correct.  I worked with some guys who wore their Subs at work, refinery operators,  and turned valves and basic operator task.  My GMT is my dress watch is on a winder when not on my wrist.  The SD will be my daily for now.

Interesting story on my GMT.  When I bought it in 2006 I was looking for the red/blue or the red/black but those were not to be found.  A year later I asked my AD to change out the bezel to red/black and they did.  Fast forward to last year I took it in for service and the same AD said they were mandated by Rolex to bring any watch brought in to the original factory configuration, meaning put my black bezel back on.  Which was OK with me as I was planning to do that anyway.  Not sure if anyone has encountered this situation.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#36]

So yeah, this is one of those things I wouldn’t do with a $9K watch.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/sgjn9nT.jpg

So yeah, this is one of those things I wouldn’t do with a $9K watch.

View Quote

So what you're saying is its basically a tool watch for you?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So what you're saying is its basically a tool watch for you?
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:14:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I just ordered a SD1953 for $70 shipped. Should be here by the end of the month. Don't know if I'll wear it or give it to my brother.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Do they do a gold tone version? I wanna try a modern gold sport watch look but not interested in a $30k version.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do they do a gold tone version? I wanna try a modern gold sport watch look but not interested in a $30k version.
View Quote

They have bronze but no gold that I can think of.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They have bronze but no gold that I can think of.
View Quote

sorry I meant in a sub style, rather than tuna/willard or dress watch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I think Pagani Design or Tandorio might have one in gold.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Based on previous recommendations here, I bought this Orient Ray II in 2021.  I've worn it everyday since, and like it well enough that I bought another one to keep for a spare.

I have since invested in many NATO straps for it so I can change the look of it as desired.  Today is more of a plain NATO day:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 5:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think Pagani Design or Tandorio might have one in gold.
View Quote

I’m on my second pagani. The first was so bad it almost took bolt cutters to get it off my wrist. I was scared.

Second is also not great. Trading it for a cup of coffee
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I’m on my second pagani. The first was so bad it almost took bolt cutters to get it off my wrist. I was scared.

Second is also not great. Trading it for a cup of coffee
View Quote

Yes Pagani and Tandorio, Bliger, etc are kind of low in the pecking order.  I cant think of any of the higher quality makers who make a gold sub style watch though.  The nicer brands- San Martin, Cronos, Sugess, Seestern- they are all stainless.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Wearing my SD 1953 today.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Steeldive has great reviews and a few members on this site have them and recommend them so I think I am good with my choice but will continue to research and learn more as always. Thank you for the list, that San Martin with a Swiss movement will get a closer look for sure.

View Quote

I use my Garmin more than anything -  but that said, i think a real watch looks a bit more put-together if i have to meet a customer or something.   The Steeldive rides along on my daybag most days in the event that comes up.   I still work in a profession where some folks would call a dive watch on a green nato "dressed up" .  Just close the blinds, swap the track pants for khakis, and the Garmin for the Steeldive and i'm GTG

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I just ordered a SD1953 for $70 shipped. Should be here by the end of the month. Don't know if I'll wear it or give it to my brother.
View Quote

Did it arrive yet?

ILW Has a good rundown on the various better AliExpress brands here.  Steeldive got on the list for quality for the $

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Did it arrive yet?

ILW Has a good rundown on the various better AliExpress brands here.  Steeldive got on the list for quality for the $

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyC1Dfr84yE
View Quote

It showed up early. Original estimate was yesterday but I got it about a week ago.

I've been wearing it daily since. I was surprised it's been keeping about +1-2s per day when comparing against my phone and time.is. The last 24 hour span has been even less.

I'll probably pick up a few more of their other styles.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top