Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
"Stocks on sale"

Values remaining a few standard deviations above historic trends with more rate hikes and QT in the pipeline is "on sale"
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been buying PLTR all the way down

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don’t get it.
Say you have 1 mil in your 401k and make $120,000 and every month you invest 10% of you pre-tax.

Stocks drop 20%, so your $1,000 monthly purchase of stocks get you 20% more. You have $200!!! O M G! $200!!!!!!!

Your 401k drops 20%, that’s almost a quarter million dollar loss.

So acting happy that you saved $200 when you lost a quarter million, I don’t have words for that type of thinking.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of us have this thing called a job

You don’t get it.
Say you have 1 mil in your 401k and make $120,000 and every month you invest 10% of you pre-tax.

Stocks drop 20%, so your $1,000 monthly purchase of stocks get you 20% more. You have $200!!! O M G! $200!!!!!!!

So acting happy that you saved $200 when you lost a quarter million, I don’t have words for that type of thinking.

Last month I converted all of my 401k to a stable 3% value fund.  
My contributions are going into high and mid cap stuff from now on. When the economy hits somewhere near the bottom,  convert all the stable money into risky money.

If you didn’t see the writing on the wall and get out of risky investments, I’ll wave as you say “welcome to Walmart” while I’m retired.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stocks were 100% dependent on ZIRP and QE to stay buoyant. Now that the umbilical cord has been cut, they will continue to bleed as interest rates rise and Fed balance sheet reduction begins. Part of the Fed's goal is literally a reverse wealth effect to cool inflation. That means declining asset values

Why anyone would think stocks are on sale when the Fed is currently tightening is beyond me.

"The market has priced in rate hikes"

possibly, but they haven't priced in credit markets blowing up as soon as July with reverse QE. High yield debt issuance is now closed for business.

A lot of companies were swimming naked with artificially low rates and $120 billion in monthly QE. That's what caused stocks to rise, and the tide going out is what will cause them to tank.

When the Fed capitulates and announces they're pausing rate hikes and QT after the market blows up, then it MIGHT be time to buy, but until then it's bloodletting season for most of the dogshit in the avg American's portfolio with a few pump fake rallies in between.

In 2018 the "greatest economy ever" couldn't handle some modest rate hikes and QT. Well now we have a much larger debt overhang thanks to the Covid debt profligacy, and people think an even more rapid QT pace and rate hike schedule will just magically work.

View Quote
The way things are going, July is even optimistic in my mind. The systemic risk running around reminds me of the Hemingway quote on bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Buffet is sitting on a huge pile of cash.
View Quote

How did he get that cash?  Was it all from investors sending him money or was it because he sold stocks at a higher price?

Hmm, imagine that, buy low sell high...but if anyone dares to state they did that on this board, that person is labeled a fool for not buying and holding thru the ups and downs.  God forbid someone takes profits.

I'm not picking on you beastman, just using your Buffet comment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stocks were 100% dependent on ZIRP and QE to stay buoyant. Now that the umbilical cord has been cut, they will continue to bleed as interest rates rise and Fed balance sheet reduction begins. Part of the Fed's goal is literally a reverse wealth effect to cool inflation. That means declining asset values

Why anyone would think stocks are on sale when the Fed is currently tightening is beyond me.

possibly, but they haven't priced in credit markets blowing up as soon as July with reverse QE. High yield debt issuance is now closed for business.

A lot of companies were swimming naked with artificially low rates and $120 billion in monthly QE. That's what caused stocks to rise, and the tide going out is what will cause them to tank.

When the Fed capitulates and announces they're pausing rate hikes and QT after the market blows up, then it MIGHT be time to buy, but until then it's bloodletting season for most of the dogshit in the avg American's portfolio with a few pump fake rallies in between.

In 2018 the "greatest economy ever" couldn't handle some modest rate hikes and QT. Well now we have a much larger debt overhang thanks to the Covid debt profligacy, and people think an even more rapid QT pace and rate hike schedule will just magically work.

View Quote

^^^ This right there.  ^^^
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How did he get that cash?  Was it all from investors sending him money or was it because he sold stocks at a higher price?

Hmm, imagine that, buy low sell high...but if anyone dares to state they did that on this board, that person is labeled a fool for not buying and holding thru the ups and downs.  God forbid someone takes profits.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffett himself never claims to time the market.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Arfcom where broke dick motherfuckers give financial advice and basement dwelling incels give relationship advice
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Only get hurt on a roller coaster if you jump off.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
The stock market in 20 years will be worth much more than it is today.

I promise you, a dollar 20 years from now won’t be worth more than it is today.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You don't get it.

Your 401k drops 20%, that's almost a quarter million dollar loss.

So acting happy that you saved $200 when you lost a quarter million, I don't have words for that type of thinking.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the point is that he is sitting, as in not buying. Large funds are on the sidelines for a reason. JMHO
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Most normal joes are, or should be, long-term investors.  I'm buying in on America over the next couple decades. I don't care what happens in July.

Or are you saying the Real Monday is finally here?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In the garden growth has it's season. Fisrt comes spring and summer but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Arfcom where broke dick motherfuckers give financial advice and basement dwelling incels give relationship advice
View Quote
Oof. But yeah.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most normal joes are, or should be, long-term investors.  I'm buying in on America over the next couple decades. I don't care what happens in July.

Or are you saying the Real Monday is finally here?
View Quote
I'm saying don't fight the Fed.

We all know that the only thing that has sustained the stock market's unprecedented rally over the last several years has been massive amounts of stimulus in the form of QE and artificially low interest rates.

Go back to March 2020 when stocks were getting reamed. If the Fed had not cut rates to 0 and started their massive $140 billion in monthly QE purchases in tandem with the most fiscally reckless deficit financed stimulus in US history, the stock market would still be in the toilet as it should be.

All that reckless stimulus that artificially boosted asset values has given us the worst inflation in 40 years and has forced the Fed to begin SHRINKING their balance sheet by $95 billion a month, and raise the fed funds rate.

The last time the Fed was raising rates and reducing their balance sheet was 2018, and that created a shitstorm so bad that the high yield debt market completely froze for over 40 days and the stock market shit the bed until the Fed capitulated and reintroduced the stimmies. Well now we've piled on even more debt and have a market that is way more overvalued by all conventional measures than it was then. They might have been able to start cutting rates and expanding their balance sheet in 2018 and 2019 to appease the market when inflation was less than 2%, but now we have inflation north of 8% (15% if measured the same way as it was in the 80's) that has painted the Fed into a corner where it must choose between butchering the stock market or allowing inflation to continue to run hot. For the time being, they have chosen to bleed out asset values, and that's why it's a stupid time to buy stocks imo.

A better than expected cpi print might send the market up a bit, but until the Fed stops tightening, it seems like a bad time to be buying the typical unprofitable companies that people buy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#17]
how long until stocks go back to all time highs?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:35:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
how long until stocks go back to all time highs?
View Quote

It's my money and I want it now!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:39:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ll buy everything you’re selling

Brick Top - Throw a dog a bone - Snatch - Clip
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Since before ever, a no quote of a post was a reply to the OP.

That seems a bit harsh.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:47:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Buffett himself never claims to time the market.
View Quote

Here's an article from Investors Business Daily from yesterday, May 10th, 2022.  Buffet buys and holds stocks for long periods of time but he also moves in and out of positions on a shorter term too.  

Interesting Point in the article - While Bank of America is the No. 1 Warren Buffett stock by number of shares, Apple is the No. 1 stock in Berkshire's portfolio by market value, worth a whopping $157.53 billion at the end of 2021.

Apple stock makes up nearly half (47.6%) of Berkshire's total equity portfolio, up from 6% at the end of 2016. It accounts for a big chunk of the portfolio's surge in value over that period.

Diversification?  Many places recommend that an individual investor should not have much more than 5% in anyone one stock.  If Apple shits the bed, BRKB will be hit extra hard.

Warren Buffet Stocks
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:59:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You don’t get it.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I think YOU don't get it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been waiting for the coming crash for a long time.

this was not a crash, lol.

look me up when the Dow is down 50-70% from its peak, that's when I'll 'buy low'.

many say it will never happen.  Same folks said housing prices could never crash

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Unless you're 100% certain we're headed towards a mad fucking max reset, then staying out of the market at any level is retarded. And if we really are headed towards mad max then nothing will matter anymore anyways other than access to potable water, so why give a shit?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless you're 100% certain we're headed towards a mad fucking max reset, then staying out of the market at any level is retarded. And if we really are headed towards mad max then nothing will matter anymore anyways other than access to potable water, so why give a shit?
View Quote
I was gonna post some flavor of this. Have enough durable goods and food to last for a while. Beyond that if the entire world goes to absolute and utter shit, well then money won't matter anymore. Your preps won't matter anymore. If you have enough preps to matter, be prepared to defend them. Pulling all your money out now to buy that last little bit of preps won't matter. If the dollar collapses, having a lot of dollars in your bank account won't matter.

Or.... nothing really happens. The stock market comes back up and you will be a richer man.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of folks stuck in the Fed put mentality. That’s what 40 years of declining interest rates forms a bias.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:33:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP is the ‘tard who panicked and sold everything in 2009 instead of leaving it alone and increasing his purchases during a buying opportunity. Dumbfuck.
View Quote

Had a coworker who did that. Watched his 80k 401k drop 50% and pulled it and put it in the bank so he could keep his money "safe from the bullshit." Never put another dime into his 401k and bragged about it. Never again would he watch his money evaporate like all the other "idiots" pissing their money into doomed 401Ks. A year before he retired(age 55) in 2019 when the Trump economy was booming he asked us if he should jump back in.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:40:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Contrarian view:  what happens when we break the channel?
View Quote
It's possible. I made that chart almost 5 months ago. And will stick to the plan If it were to break that Chanel there is major support at the 50%.  

I move back in long ~390 heavily with tight stops. If drops They will trigger, I'll reevaluate and look for lower support.

Lots of time for potato to fuck shit up. Mid terms will play a factor.  I think we bottom soon though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Inflation print this morning means more rate increases are now baked.  It’s going to get worse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Coping by saying stocks are on sale, knowing you have no cash to buy because you never sold.

LMAO

Not directed at you OP, at the polianas who say stocks are on sale.
View Quote
Yea, I like to buy mine at peak price, so the only way they can move is down.

Seriously though, I'm poor and don't have the resources some of you have, but I try to buy at least monthly. Rarely ever sell, unless I think I stock is going down and not coming up or is going to be down for an extended time.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You only lose money when you sell at a loss. In your scenario, 250k of VALUE was lost. Not actual dollars. Apparently YOU don't get it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't get it.

Your 401k drops 20%, that's almost a quarter million dollar loss.

So acting happy that you saved $200 when you lost a quarter million, I don't have words for that type of thinking.

You only lose money when you sell at a loss. In your scenario, 250k of VALUE was lost. Not actual dollars. Apparently YOU don't get it.

Underscore logic….
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hmmmmm this is a bountiful harvest I am having!

What Is Tax Loss Harvesting? Tax loss harvesting is when you sell some investments at a loss to offset gains you've realized by selling other stocks at a profit. The result is that you only pay taxes on your net profit, or the amount you've gained minus the amount you lost, thereby reducing your tax bill.
View Quote

My financial advisor just did this for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Now is the time to buy.  Buy low and sell high.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Now is the time to buy.  Buy low and sell high.
View Quote

So you had cash is trash wasting away to inflation waiting to buy on a dip?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Buy Apple, they have tons of cash
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You don’t get it.

View Quote

You should have cashed out the $1M before the dip, or moved it into Government Bonds = $0 loss.  Bought low sold high
Then buy stocks at the bottom, while they are cheap and ride the increase. Buy low and sell high again
That is what I did during the 2008 crash and damn near doubled my $230,000.  Surly you don't buy stocks planning on keeping them forever.  You need to be active in the stock market. Buying, selling trading on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Inflation print this morning means more rate increases are now baked.  It’s going to get worse.
View Quote

Y U NO LIKE OIL COMPANY STONKS?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#39]

I'll take two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Stay in stocks they said, It is the way to beat inflation.

ROFLMAO
View Quote

You clearly are emotionally driven and can't handle the ups and downs of the market.

I survived the 2008 crash, I'll survive this one too. The key is to not panic.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You clearly are emotionally driven and can't handle the ups and downs of the market.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFLMAO

Yeah we been through some shit since 1900, and the US economy is still here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Had a coworker who did that. Watched his 80k 401k drop 50% and pulled it and put it in the bank so he could keep his money "safe from the bullshit." Never put another dime into his 401k and bragged about it. Never again would he watch his money evaporate like all the other "idiots" pissing their money into doomed 401Ks. A year before he retired(age 55) in 2019 when the Trump economy was booming he asked us if he should jump back in.

View Quote

It's worth point out to those folks that there is no such thing as a risk free position.

Even cash has a risk (or dare I say a certainty) of being devalued by inflation over time.  

There is NOTHING you can put your money in where you can be confident that the value will be preserved over time.

That guy might have seen the light earlier if he understood that moving his money to cash was an investment choice, not the absence of making an investment choice.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You should have cashed out the $1M before the dip, or moved it into Government Bonds = $0 loss.  Bought low sold high
Then buy stocks at the bottom, while they are cheap and ride the increase. Buy low and sell high again
That is what I did during the 2008 crash and damn near doubled my $230,000.  Surly you don't buy stocks planning on keeping them forever.  You need to be active in the stock market. Buying, selling trading on a regular basis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t get it.

That vast vast vast majority of people are not equipped to succeed at that.  Even the majority of people who think they are, are not.

It's pretty kick ass if you are able to do it though.  More power to you.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFLMAO

2008 was survived with TARP, ZIRP, and QE. That bill is coming due.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#45]
look at the history of the s&p 500

look at inflation

make your own decision
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I moved to safety gradually last year so I haven’t lost huge money on stocks slipping but inflation still cleans my clock. I am probably going to move back in slowly so I fully expect the real dip to come after I do. I am defiantly not Nancy Pelosi.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don’t get it.

What an epiphany. So you're telling us perfectly timing a million in swing trades is the key to it all?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You I don’t get it.
Say you have 1 mil in your 401k and make $120,000 and every month you invest 10% of your pre-tax income.

The price of Stocks drop 20%, so your $1,000 monthly purchase of stocks gets you 20% more. You have $200!!! O M G! $200!!!!!!!

(the value of) Your 401k drops 20%, that’s almost a quarter-million dollar loss a temporary 20% loss in value.

So acting happy that you saved $200 are able to buy 20% more stock when you lost a quarter million the value of your portfolio is down 20%, I don’t have words for that type of thinking. is what investing in the market is all about.

View Quote

Fixed it for you.

You clearly don't understand investing.
If I own 1000 shares of something, I don't lose any money if the value of those shares goes down. I still have 1,000 shares. Eventually the market comes back up, and the value is restored.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You don’t get it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of us have this thing called a job

You don’t get it.

Your logic seems to imply that stocks only ever go down, never back up.  I mean, if we're going to assume it's the end of the world then who gives a fuck anyway?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fixed it for you.

You clearly don't understand investing.
If I own 1000 shares of something, I don't lose any money if the value of those shares goes down. I still have 1,000 shares. Eventually the market comes back up, and the value is restored.*
View Quote

*Except for those times where it goes down and doesn't come back up, and the other times where a company goes bankrupt and the common shares get canceled.

If you got in on this at the peak it might be a while before it gets back to $390
Mark Minervini investing in Upstart
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top