Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2021 7:42:11 PM EDT
All,

I've got a 1974 Chevy K-10 with a 4 bolt main 350 engine. I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil for the higher zinc content. Was thinking about leaving it outside the garage and trying to cold start it at zero degrees Monday morning just to see if it will fire up.

Will I damage the engine with this viscosity of oil at 0*F?

Wanted to get opinions before doing something stupid
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
14w40 custom blend?
If battery is good it will start but why would you subject your equipment to that if you don't have to?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess it was 15W 40. Ooops!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It'll fire up, it just won't be happy about it. If its tuned well with good battery and hot spark, it'll fire.

Would I do it just to do it, probably not. This weather will move along in a week and ya'll be back to normal, let truck chill in garage if you don't need it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I started mine with 20w50 in it today.  The oil pressure was a little slow to come up but it made no noises.

Shell reduced the zinc in rotella, I would use an additive.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Why.

Just so you can post a dumb ass cold start video on Facebook?

Otherwise it will not hurt it. Just don’t rev bomb the thing until you get some heat in the engine.

I’ll HAVE to drive my van to work in the morning. It’s supposed to be essentially 0*F
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started mine with 20w50 in it today.  The oil pressure was a little slow to come up but it made no noises.

View Quote

The last I’ve seen it’s still between 1100 to 1200 PPM which should be fine for all but the most radical setups

I don’t buy Rotalla anymore because once everyone started using it it got expensive. I typically use harvest king or Delo (1300 ppm of zinc)
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is a fact.  I stopped using it and went to a semi synthetic with Zddp additive.  I have four SBC in service.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
In for info on shell and rotella.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Ditch the Rotella and run Valvoline VR1 instead.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it rated for a wet clutch?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

VR1 is good stuff for sure.
That said, my machinist recommends using an additive even with VR1.
I haven’t run that by Foxtrot; it would be interesting to see what he says about it.

Now I just use Redline Racing 40wt.  About double the PPM of zinc and phosphorous vs VR1.
At $20/qt (unless bought in bulk, which I do) running VR1 plus a little might make more sense for OP and many/most others.  I’m not only after the anti-wear additive package, but parasitic drag is also a priority for me.  Like I said, RL may not be for everyone.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question, I don’t know.
But I bet this guy does
@Foxtrot08
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It's not. Nor is it formulated for it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Cold pour point of  Rotella T4 15w40 is -36F.

Cold pour point is when the product literally will not move.  "Typically" the recommendation is not to get with in 20F of the cold pour point, most of the time 30F or else you risk damage.

Assuming you're truly 0F, it will probably be okay, but not great. The oil will be VERY thick for a while.  Might be too thick for the oil pump on a 350 engine, as rotella isn't designed for it and that engine isn't a 15w40 designed engine.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No. It's not. Nor is it formulated for it.
View Quote

Quoted:
Cold pour point of  Rotella T4 15w40 is -36F.

Cold pour point is when the product literally will not move.  "Typically" the recommendation is not to get with in 20F of the cold pour point, most of the time 30F or else you risk damage.

Assuming you're truly 0F, it will probably be okay, but not great. The oil will be VERY thick for a while.  Might be too thick for the oil pump on a 350 engine, as rotella isn't designed for it and that engine isn't a 15w40 designed engine.

View Quote

Thank you, oil Jedi master

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I started it on Tuesday morning. National weather service said it was -3 *F at the local airport, who knows if it was quite that cold where I’m at. Anyway, the thing started and ran just fine, a though it did take a little while to build the normal 57-58 PSI of oil pressure. It was close to 30 starting off and built up from there. I let it run and get up to operating temp before I took my wife on a tour of the neighborhood to check out the frozen landscape.

Was very impressed/ surprised how well it started at that temp; I figured it would be tough for the carb to aerosolize the gasoline enough to make it fire. It’s kind of cool to see that the old simple technology is still serviceable and works so well in this age where everything seems dependent on computers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The last I’ve seen it’s still between 1100 to 1200 PPM which should be fine for all but the most radical setups

I don’t buy Rotalla anymore because once everyone started using it it got expensive. I typically use harvest king or Delo (1300 ppm of zinc)
View Quote

If you buy it from one of certain stores (assuming you have one of those stores in your area) you can get a pretty good rebate on Rotella.  I usually buy Rotella T6 by the 2.5 gallon jug and the current rebate on up to 4 jugs is $20 per jug.  I bought some today for $49 per 2.5 gallon jug.  Works out to about $2.90 per quart.  Pretty good price.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/promos-loyalty-rewards/coupons-rebates-and-sweepstakes/save-with-a-rebate.html#iframe=L0RJWS9PMjA1Mi9mb3JtLmNmbQ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top