Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2019 8:40:15 PM EDT
Well i went and got my petition and my two signatures last night and met a bunch of the lodge!  They of course invited me to stay for supper and Im glad I did.  Everyone was very welcoming, and I was very glad to see a handful of younger guys, like myself as well.  Looking forward to the journey.  They did ask me did I wear boots to wade through the stories being told at dinner, and asked If i was afraid of goats, , so i figured I was in the right place.

Does anyone have any advice to offer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!

Just listen and enjoy your degrees. Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/3/2019 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations.

The work is difficult, but well worth the effort.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just roll with it.  Keep your ears open.  There is no hazing or humiliation in the degrees.

I really dislike the goat jokes.  Our degrees should be held in higher regard than that.
View Quote
Its really interesting you said that, a few of the guys at the table just sort of looked at him funny, and a few laughed.  Maybe thats why it got different reactions.

Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on taking the first step.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just roll with it.  Keep your ears open.  There is no hazing or humiliation in the degrees.

I really dislike the goat jokes.  Our degrees should be held in higher regard than that.
View Quote
This. Roll with it. Part of it may seem odd or confusing, but it all works out, I can assure you. (So far, anyway. I've not quite been MM for a year).

Joining is one of the best things I've done as an adult. Great group of men.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
When you wear a dark suit, the goat hair stands out prominently. Bring a good lint brush!

(As you can tell I'm in the 'OK with Joking' camp)

Serious advice, pay attention as well as you can, the journey is yours to enjoy, and can go as far as your curiosity takes you
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Resist the curiosity to research the degree work online. Don't spoil the experience for yourself.

After you go through each degree and are studying your catechism, you can do some research about the profound meanings behind the symbolism.

New members also run the risk of being spread thin. Doesn't always happen, but it's pretty common. You're likely going to be pulled in many different directions. Take it slow and recognize it's a marathon, not a sprint. Burnout is real.

Most importantly, have fun!
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When you wear a dark suit, the goat hair stands out prominently. Bring a good lint brush!

Serious advice, pay attention as well as you can, the journey is yours to enjoy, and can go as far as your curiosity takes you
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fine with joking, but the whole goat thing is corny as hell. A Masonic dad joke. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's good to be silly sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Had my investigation last night.  Seemed to go well.  I was relieved when i instantly recognized two of the committee.  Ive been going to the monthly meetings and ive actually been sitting and eating with two of the committee members so that took some edge off. Going to go back the night of my vote to eat and wait on the news!  They told me they would call within a week on the lodges decision after the vote, is this standard practice?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had my investigation last night.  Seemed to go well.  I was relieved when i instantly recognized two of the committee.  Ive been going to the monthly meetings and ive actually been sitting and eating with two of the committee members so that took some edge off. Going to go back the night of my vote to eat and wait on the news!  They told me they would call within a week on the lodges decision after the vote, is this standard practice?
View Quote
@Chadsc yes this is standard practice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One of the changes we implemented this year to improve the experience is to hand deliver a letter on parchment paper that has been sealed with a wax square and compass to notify the of their degree date.  Two of us show up in suits to make the delivery.  It's been very well received.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Chadsc yes this is standard practice.
One of the changes we implemented this year to improve the experience is to hand deliver a letter on parchment paper that has been sealed with a wax square and compass to notify the of their degree date.  Two of us show up in suits to make the delivery.  It's been very well received.
That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's pretty slick. I like it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
That would be very fitting, and quite memorable.

Big thumbs up to whoever thought that up.

Considering there aren’t many changes to tradition in Masonry, a new tradition like that should be at the top of everyones list.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
What Lodge are you petitioning?  I'm in the Columbia area.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What Lodge are you petitioning?  I'm in the Columbia area.
View Quote
Bailey no. 146 , Its not the closest one to my house, but it had alot of good recomendations.  Vote was last night, just waiting on the call.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Just to keep it going, got the call.  I got accepted and awaiting a date for my 1st degree.  Was told it may be a while due to the holidays and all, but looking forward to it.  Now the fun begins
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations sir, the journey begins.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Just for an update, Found out today, 1st degree is 11/21
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I just thought i would post again, had my first coaching session

Dont know how Im going to ever remember all this, but they told me its like drinking from a firehose for a while, dont sweat it.  Well see! Going to try and go see a 1st degree in person, they assured me it would help seeing it from the other side.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I just thought i would post again, had my first coaching session

Dont know how Im going to ever remember all this, but they told me its like drinking from a firehose for a while, dont sweat it.  Well see! Going to try and go see a 1st degree in person, they assured me it would help seeing it from the other side.
View Quote
I just got my second degree two weeks ago. At first I thought I would have trouble remembering but then in studying alone ,reading my Bible, studying with my “tow” and just looking at everyday life it all starting to come together.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm fine with joking. I love joking, as a matter of fact. My only quarrel with the goat thing is it's the ultimate Dad joke. It's just not that funny.

Of course, I've always believed that if a joke isn't that funny the first time, trying it a thousand times might help. So goat away, brothers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
It definitely seems to stretch out when you're on the waiting end of it. A little patience will serve you well here. It's a volunteer organization that meets once a month, in most cases (although the leadership is often much busier than that).

Good luck, and welcome!
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top