Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2021 6:43:23 AM EDT
I signed up for the beta and installed my kit Saturday. The PoE setup is pretty slick but I want to use my old router, a Linksys EA8500.

From what I understand about PoE a device does not get power unless it requests it so I should be good to just plug it in?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's safe to plug a device into a PoE enabled port even if said device does not need the provided power.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
How is your terminal going to be powered, if not by PoE from the router?  I ask this because the Starlink terminal reportedly uses non-standard PoE of somewhere around 100 w, which your PoE router may not be able to safely provide.

If you want to use your router for routing stuff, then it would probably be better to include both, and set the starlink router as simply a switch/power injector (presuming it can be configured as such.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The Starlink brick is the injector. It’s a largish power brick that plugs into wall 110 and has two Ethernet ports, black for the dish (uses the black cord) and white for the router (uses the white cord). I want to plug a non PoE router into the white Ethernet port on the brick to connect it to the dish.

I figure I should not get an electrical fire because the non PoE router won’t request power through the Ethernet so the brick shouldn’t supply it. I am assuming the Starlink brick follows the PoE standard.

The Starlink router is locked out so I can’t change any settings. The range on the router is not great but not terrible.

There is a streaming need one floor down on the other side of the house so prefer to use my current router which handles that like a boss.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The injector should only provide power on one port.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on if it’s a smart port or not. You don’t want something that doesn’t need poe getting poe. You’ll toast it b
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone verified that Starlink uses 802.3af/at/bt versus say...24V B mode Passive which so common in the WISP industry?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Starlink uses a special POE injector. It is NOT standard POE as far as I know.

Quoted:
The Starlink brick is the injector. It’s a largish power brick that plugs into wall 110 and has two Ethernet ports, black for the dish (uses the black cord) and white for the router (uses the white cord). I want to plug a non PoE router into the white Ethernet port on the brick to connect it to the dish.

I figure I should not get an electrical fire because the non PoE router won’t request power through the Ethernet so the brick shouldn’t supply it. I am assuming the Starlink brick follows the PoE standard.

The Starlink router is locked out so I can’t change any settings. The range on the router is not great but not terrible.

There is a streaming need one floor down on the other side of the house so prefer to use my current router which handles that like a boss.
View Quote

Missed this one. But you can safely plug the non-POE side of the brick into a POE/non-POE router without issue.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I have failed explaining this...

There is one brick with an input of 110v and two PoE outputs, one for the terminal and one for the router.

I have new router on the way so fuck it, I will plug the EA8500 in to the white side of the Starlink brick. If it explodes I have a fire extinguisher.

I have discovered this evening that Penderyn Rich Oak Single Cask D1062 is an amazing whisky and if the EA8500 dies...then it dies

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Plugging your own router into the white side is fine or you can use the AUX port on the Starlink router.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top