ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer

Solo: A Star Wars Story Official Teaser

I wonder if they’ll ever make more?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Solo wasn't as bad as all the herp derp about it.  I enjoyed the movie
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Lucas prequel should have been two movies max.  
Then Disney ruined it.
I liked Star Wars, but the Dark Knight trilogy was my favorite.
Link Posted: 10/23/2019 12:55:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad Lucas got out of it when he did.  I think as he grew and matured and when he had kids, his writing style had also changed.  He tried too hard to dumb down things for small children instead of writing for the kid inside himself that grew up watching the various genre of action and swashbuckling cinema.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad Lucas got out of it when he did.  I think as he grew and matured and when he had kids, his writing style had also changed.  He tried too hard to dumb down things for small children instead of writing for the kid inside himself that grew up watching the various genre of action and swashbuckling cinema.
View Quote
I'm not even sure writing was his problem.  The prequel trilogy story was fine.  It didn't ape the original trilogy nor was it all that heavy on cheap fan service.

I think his big problem is that he has no business acting as a director for his films.  If you looked at his filmography, he really only directed six feature films in his entire life including Star Wars I-IV, American Graffiti and THX 1138.  He's not what you would call an accomplished director.

I think Star Wars was a one off and was successful partly due to the fact that he probably had people around him at that point willing to tell him he was wrong.  If you look at some of the scenes which DIDN'T make the cut, they are all pretty terrible which means that at some point he was pulled aside and straightened out by someone who had more experience.  I can't prove it, but that's what I suspect.

Empire Strikes Back by contrast was directed by Irvin Kershner who had 25 years of experience by that point.

The prequel trilogy with a decent director could have ended up as timeless as the original trilogy even with the same basic story as the foundation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Good point.  ANH went through several re-writes before it came out like it did.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Here’s a decent 20m video essay about how editing affected Star Wars.

How Star Wars was saved in the edit

I chuckle when someone say the editors didn’t get any recognition.
Seems they forgot they won Oscars for it.
Attachment Attached File

Richard Chew, Marcia Lucas, Paul Hirsch
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Great clip on good editing.  One of my favorite editing masterpieces is the animated series Battle of the Planets.  It was a 1970's anime series that was completely stripped down and re-edited to appeal to an American, post Star Wars youth audience.  Another re-edit  epic was the anime series Robotech.  In order to get 100 episodes to meet syndication requirements, the production company took 3 mecha themed anime series, then re-edited their story lines so they flowed from one series to another.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3053/D728B650-FA69-4341-801A-3734037CDA22_jpeg-1136980.JPG
View Quote
And there you have it, great video.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:43:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3053/D728B650-FA69-4341-801A-3734037CDA22_jpeg-1136980.JPG
View Quote
I think it's kind of funny that they made that editing video. Just because it's Star Wars, they have to give you insider dirt on a pretty mundane process.

Every movie can be "made" in the editing room. Some are edited better than others. That's just the way it is. Star Wars got edited down into something watchable...
What else is new?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The fact that it is such a mundane process is why the video is so cool.
It shows how important it is to folks that don't know any better (or, probably, more accurately, don't care)
I'd bet that the vast majority of fans didn't know or had forgotten the film had won an Oscar for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top