Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 4/30/2020 2:20:31 AM EDT
Pretty sure the old thread got archived, as I can't find it.  So this will be the new thread, barring it getting archived like the other one.

Here's the Arfcom org link for The 87th PMC
Referral codes will be posted below, barring admin smackdown.  No username with them, so it'll be luck of the draw.

STAR-BDBQ-VZV3
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Alpha 3.9 Locked Up & Loaded went live today.

General content off the top:

-Added New Babbage Landing Zone (Microtech) and Klescher Automated Prison
-Added Microtech moons Calliope, Clio, and Euterpe along with caves and missions for them.
-Added hijacked Caterpillar Prisoner Transport mission
-more mining stuff
-Added Esperia Prowler ship
-2 more ship weapons
-crapton of bugfixes and stuff not in the short summary.

Full patch notes

Star Citizen: Alpha 3.9 - Locked Up & Loaded

Star Citizen: Esperia Prowler

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m starting the think this game will never see final. Over $320 million and still in alpha, getting every penny they can  
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Xerith:
I’m starting the think this game will never see final. Over $320 million and still in alpha, getting every penny they can  
View Quote

They're making decent progress.  AAA game development is 7-10 year cycle, so they're slightly behind the average curve, but not massively overdue yet.  Especially since they're starting to push big patches fairly regularly.  That said, I'm not buying anything other than where I'm at until the game is in beta stage.

At least CIG is upfront about open development.  If they were in closed dev, we'd never see a game at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
@Fat_McNasty since you asked the other day and the old thread got archived.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
might have to try and find my login..
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Getting ready to try the PU now. I will be more excited once there are more game loops
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone see when the are doing the Free fly event and possible ship sale (I'm hoping this is what they mean by 'special promotions') this month?
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By darkpaladin1:
Anyone see when the are doing the Free fly event and possible ship sale (I'm hoping this is what they mean by 'special promotions') this month?
View Quote

Other than knowing one is coming, I haven't seen anything yet.  I know the Prowler and Mako redux are on sale currently, but that's just for the 3.9 release.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Xerith:
I’m starting the think this game will never see final. Over $320 million and still in alpha, getting every penny they can  
View Quote

As long as the gravy train keeps rolling, they'll keep keep adding ships.  Once that dries up they can stop pretending they will ever finish.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I was messing with that game five fucking years ago

Looks like it will be out in another 20 years or so
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Invictus launch week guide

Star Citizen: Invictus Launch Week 2950 Teaser
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
might have to try and find my login..
View Quote

I'll have to find the old phone that has my authenticator.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I loved the entire wing command series, I think the only one I never played was Privateer 2
also played some of WC Saga, https://www.wcsaga.com/
and some of the other fan projects https://www.wcnews.com/fanprojects/

also played Freelancer and some other professionally released wing command type space sims that I can't remember the name of over the years, and i have Elite Dangerous installed and steam says I have 572 hours of play time although I haven't had time to play it recently. So needless to say I love the genre.

I've been looking forward to these ever since Chris Roberts announced them, too bad they're taking so damn long
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't really know anything about this game other than it exists and made like over 300 mil and hasn't launched yet.

I did like the space part of No Mans Sky alot, is this similar? What can I do in game? Is there open PvP? Quests?

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Svetgar:
I don't really know anything about this game other than it exists and made like over 300 mil and hasn't launched yet.

I did like the space part of No Mans Sky alot, is this similar? What can I do in game? Is there open PvP? Quests?

View Quote

There is a free fly going on the 22nd to the 1st btw.  Just have to make an account and download.  (If you do use the referral code in the OP, you get some extra money when the full game launches and I'll get 1 more tick towards a free ship)

The game is in open development at alpha 3.9.1 currently and they are pushing ~20gb content patches every few months.
There are a fair amount of missions to do, both regular, pvp, and coop.  You can make money mining, running cargo, hunting pirates and players with wanted ratings.  Kill them on the ground, in space, or in EVA.  Hell go to prison and do a jail break.

Fair amount of stuff to do and the scale is insane.  That said, it's one of those you enjoy it or you don't things.  Steep learning curve but it's mostly just figuring out how to fly and do stuff.  It's not EVE where you hang yourself 20 minutes into the game when your paperwork gets mixed up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#16]
i was wondering what happened to the old thread
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By sfljohn:
i was wondering what happened to the old thread
View Quote

Pretty sure it just got archived.  I was kind of surprised to be honest since it was pretty up there in page count.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

There is a free fly going on the 22nd to the 1st btw.  Just have to make an account and download.  (If you do use the referral code in the OP, you get some extra money when the full game launches and I'll get 1 more tick towards a free ship)

The game is in open development at alpha 3.9.1 currently and they are pushing ~20gb content patches every few months.
There are a fair amount of missions to do, both regular, pvp, and coop.  You can make money mining, running cargo, hunting pirates and players with wanted ratings.  Kill them on the ground, in space, or in EVA.  Hell go to prison and do a jail break.

Fair amount of stuff to do and the scale is insane.  That said, it's one of those you enjoy it or you don't things.  Steep learning curve but it's mostly just figuring out how to fly and do stuff.  It's not EVE where you hang yourself 20 minutes into the game when your paperwork gets mixed up. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Originally Posted By Svetgar:
I don't really know anything about this game other than it exists and made like over 300 mil and hasn't launched yet.

I did like the space part of No Mans Sky alot, is this similar? What can I do in game? Is there open PvP? Quests?

There is a free fly going on the 22nd to the 1st btw.  Just have to make an account and download.  (If you do use the referral code in the OP, you get some extra money when the full game launches and I'll get 1 more tick towards a free ship)

The game is in open development at alpha 3.9.1 currently and they are pushing ~20gb content patches every few months.
There are a fair amount of missions to do, both regular, pvp, and coop.  You can make money mining, running cargo, hunting pirates and players with wanted ratings.  Kill them on the ground, in space, or in EVA.  Hell go to prison and do a jail break.

Fair amount of stuff to do and the scale is insane.  That said, it's one of those you enjoy it or you don't things.  Steep learning curve but it's mostly just figuring out how to fly and do stuff.  It's not EVE where you hang yourself 20 minutes into the game when your paperwork gets mixed up. 

Thanks for the reply, I used your code BTW.

When I ask about PvP, I am talking about getting attacked minding my own business. I'd rather just do my own thing and not have to worry about getting ganked.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When I ask about PvP, I am talking about getting attacked minding my own business. I'd rather just do my own thing and not have to worry about getting ganked.
View Quote

So long as you’re in an area with active UEE beacons, anyone attacking you will get a crimestat. Makes them wanted with AI and players being able to kill them without legal problems. There will be douchebags, but for the most part I don’t have problems
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So long as you're in an area with active UEE beacons, anyone attacking you will get a crimestat. Makes them wanted with AI and players being able to kill them without legal problems. There will be douchebags, but for the most part I don't have problems
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So long as you're in an area with active UEE beacons, anyone attacking you will get a crimestat. Makes them wanted with AI and players being able to kill them without legal problems. There will be douchebags, but for the most part I don't have problems

And then they get to spend quite a while in prison.  I accidented my way into a crime stat and then went outlaw for awhile.  Got like 9 - 12 hour sentence.  Cut it down with mining but it still was a while before I got out of jail.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't really know anything about this game other than it exists and made like over 300 mil and hasn't launched yet.

I did like the space part of No Mans Sky alot, is this similar? What can I do in game? Is there open PvP? Quests?

View Quote
There is basic on foot and in ship combat missions.  

You have missions tosearch fora missing client in a cave.

investigating shipwreck mission

delivery

and just flying around seeing the sights.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Just tried playing for the free weekend.

I can't even figure out how to see the damm spaceship. I feel like I need to watch 10 hours of youtube videos to prepare myself for this...

I don't know if I want to make the sort of commitment this is going to require....
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just tried playing for the free weekend.

I can't even figure out how to see the damm spaceship. I feel like I need to watch 10 hours of youtube videos to prepare myself for this...

I don't know if I want to make the sort of commitment this is going to require....
View Quote

Without knowning where you spawn, it's kind of hard to give exact locations.  For Port Olisar, just head downstairs and into the main room with the big holographic map.  Use a terminal (F) to select a ship, and you'll get told what pad your ship is on, plus a map marker for it.  Go out the nearest airlock and go see your ship.

It seems pretty complex, but once you get the hang of it, the controls aren't bad.  Just a bit steep starting out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#24]
This is a pretty good time to check the game out, fly a bunch of ships for free and maybe buy a starter pack with good insurance or a ship that isn't available all the time.

Honestly though I'm pretty bummed about a lot of the design choices they've made in the last couple years, especially what they've done with Drake.

You get a lot with just a Titan though, can always rent or buy other ships in game.

If anyone was willing to use my code when they make an account I'm one referral away from a reward. STAR-TNR2-TZWD TIA.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#25]
For all the bitching and moaning I did in the old thread about how ridiculous this game is and it's development....

I own a 315p, and LTI token Merlin and a Caterpillar. Am considering upgrading it to a Carrak in the sale going on right now.

Fucks sake.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#26]
LOL players destroyed the UEE event fleet.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard the guys that tried that all got fucked
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#28]
$45 to $1,100 for a game package.

Watched a video saying Mustang package.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$45 to $1,100 for a game package.

Watched a video saying Mustang package.

Any advice?
View Quote

Comparison of both low end starter ships

Review of the Mustang

If you can afford it, spend a little more for the Avenger Titan or the Origin 300i

If you can't, I'd recommend the mustang (barely) until you can upgrade to the titan or 300i.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#30]
entered STAR-BDBQ-VZV3

and applied to be the 87th member.

Downloading it now, I went with the Mustang for now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#31]
So, I hear you guys like railguns...

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#32]
That, and sweet zombie Jesus, my Redeemer is getting a hell of a weapons upgrade.  Looks like size 4 Revenant manned turrets plus size 3 remote turrets and gimbals.   Downside is there's little to no side coverage with the turrets, but whatever gets in front of it is going to get destroyed.

My master plan is still to put AI server blades on the manned turrets, so I'll hopefully be able to solo the ship when it's out.  High value small dimension cargo hauling.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Without knowning where you spawn, it's kind of hard to give exact locations.  For Port Olisar, just head downstairs and into the main room with the big holographic map.  Use a terminal (F) to select a ship, and you'll get told what pad your ship is on, plus a map marker for it.  Go out the nearest airlock and go see your ship.

It seems pretty complex, but once you get the hang of it, the controls aren't bad.  Just a bit steep starting out.
View Quote

Yeah the login screen says "Stanton System". Wherever that is. The graphics are sweet and nice and running around the city downstairs is cool, but JFC this is hands down the most noob unfriendly game I have played in forever. I don't think they could make it less welcoming if they tried. Hell, I had to go into my keybinds to figure out how to get out of the damm room. They got what $300 million so far? Would it have killed them to have spent say, $25k and create a tutorial or tooltips?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah the login screen says "Stanton System". Wherever that is. The graphics are sweet and nice and running around the city downstairs is cool, but JFC this is hands down the most noob unfriendly game I have played in forever. I don't think they could make it less welcoming if they tried. Hell, I had to go into my keybinds to figure out how to get out of the damm room. They got what $300 million so far? Would it have killed them to have spent say, $25k and create a tutorial or tooltips?
View Quote

Be kinda silly to spend money on something that's very likely going to change.  And they learned that lesson the hard way, there used to be a tutorial for flying...they'd have to have re-done that completely like 3 times already.

We're still in alpha...I'm sure once the mechanics are settled and real content creation begins a tutorial will be a top priority and quick in coming.  Until then, though...yeah, it can be a challenge.  It once took me 3 hours just to figure out how to board a ship.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Finally decided to say fugit and buy a Prospector.  Any tips on good mining locations for one guy in a stock (no special mining heads) Prospector?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Finally decided to say fugit and buy a Prospector.  Any tips on good mining locations for one guy in a stock (no special mining heads) Prospector?
View Quote

https://space4games.com/en/games-en/star-citizen-mining/
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I should try downloading the game, I certainly have enough money in it (Polaris, Hammerhead, Gemini, and smaller). But then I'd have to find the old phone with my authenticator app.

I just got so frustrated with figuring out new hardware profiles for my HOTAS each time there was a patch.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I should try downloading the game, I certainly have enough money in it (Polaris, Hammerhead, Gemini, and smaller). But then I'd have to find the old phone with my authenticator app.

I just got so frustrated with figuring out new hardware profiles for my HOTAS each time there was a patch.

Kharn
View Quote
I have read that you can save your configuration file and just put it back after a patch.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#39]
How many people are working on this game? Like 5? I heard about this years ago. Looks nice, but goddamn it taking forever.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#40]
This reminds me to sell my ships. Completely regret what I have spent thus far.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How many people are working on this game? Like 5? I heard about this years ago. Looks nice, but goddamn it taking forever.
View Quote
In 2018, Cloud Imperium Games reported just under 500 employees across 5 locations.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
In 2018, Cloud Imperium Games reported just under 500 employees across 5 locations.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someone did a Youtube video on this and while they're  fanboy, they did make some good points on why it's taking so long.  This game is the poster child of why scope creep is god awful.

That said, i've still got a few ships on the roster and plan on playing once they are out of Alpha stage.  I could do so now, but feel like i will enjoy it more if i just wait until at least Beta.

Separately, NorthPolar, your post about the Redeemer has me SO sad.  It's one of the best looking ships in the game IMO, and i was VERY close to pulling the trigger during fleet week and just buying one, but decided to wait instead.  Now i'm wishing i hadn't.  (I never saw the drawing and redesign, just knew it was going to happen, which had me worried about how much the looks would change ala the Mustang, so i regrettably chose to not purchase it.

Current inventory is a Merchantman, Corsair, Cutlass Blue and Star Runner.  An odd mix that probably says a lot more about me than it should.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This game is the poster child of why scope creep is god awful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This game is the poster child of why scope creep is god awful.

yeah,at this point they should have released a functional game and added some of this other stuff like extra ships, extra systems, whatever else they keep expanding as DLC
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Eh, the game has issues for sure. That said, if CIG ships a game that even has 75% of the features planned, it’ll still beat pretty much anything out there.

IMO two huge setbacks were having to build an engine from scratch after a few years of dev work because the former one wouldn’t work anymore. Then having to port everything viable over. The other major setback was one of the hired studios (and a huge reason why it’s almost all on house now) put out content that flat out was inoperable with the rest of everything.

Both problems caused CIG to spend a lot of time and money rebuilding and unifying stuff. Short of being psychic, neither could have been wholly prevented.  That said, those ‘growing pains’ are paying off by letting them build and test content across multiple studios now. Last I heard it was multiple tb of data transferred between studios a day.

Stuff like that is why 99.999% of games are in closed development until late alpha or early beta.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#45]
True, and it also is why at least we're seeing the framework of a good game that they are determined to provide.  How many "Triple A" titles have we seen in the last couple of years from studios well known for putting out good games instead put out half baked titles because they changed course halfway through development and tried to shove a "complete" game out the door with only two years of true development.

Too many to count.  Games I still liked, but didn't love, and should have, if they had been given a solid 4 or 5 years on their current track instead of 2 years and then appease the investors time?

Yeah, we probably have another 2 years of wait because of the issues and scope creep, but at least we'll get a game that was developed with player input and delivers an experience unlike anything else in existence.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is, but then again it really isn't.

Chris Roberts mission statement from the beginning was to build the best space sim possible with current tech and whatever funding he got from backers. He didn't expect to get $425M to work with, they raised another $15M last month.

It'll be 8 years since the kickstarter in Sept. They've built a game development company w/600 employees now from scratch, a game engine, and two games not counting the FPS, dogfight, and now combined arms testbed modules.

Any other developer would have thrown the 2016 Squadron build into beta and released it, but it wasn't good enough for CIG. IMO that's a good thing, when SQ42 finally releases it's going to bring a lot of players and money into the IP and those resources will go into SC too.

There are disadvantages to the business model for sure but there are also advantages.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Bought Elite Dangerous and HOTAS sticks yesterday but this game has always intrigued me. I might give it a go sooner or later.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It is, but then again it really isn't.

Chris Roberts mission statement from the beginning was to build the best space sim possible with current tech and whatever funding he got from backers. He didn't expect to get $425M to work with, they raised another $15M last month.

It'll be 8 years since the kickstarter in Sept. They've built a game development company w/600 employees now from scratch, a game engine, and two games not counting the FPS, dogfight, and now combined arms testbed modules.

Any other developer would have thrown the 2016 Squadron build into beta and released it, but it wasn't good enough for CIG. IMO that's a good thing, when SQ42 finally releases it's going to bring a lot of players and money into the IP and those resources will go into SC too.

There are disadvantages to the business model for sure but there are also advantages.
View Quote

True.

And as mentioned by NorthPolar, the "standard" game development model often allows for hiding of major flaws due to the closed nature of the process, so you get games that look great in the trailers like Anthem, but end up being DOA once you crack open that pretty shell and find the rotten core that they hid from you behind flashy and staged releases.

Here, the curtain is pulled back, and all the good and bad is there to be seen, commented on, and improved (hopefully).  It does make focus more difficult with all the voices advocating for so many different directions, but at least you see the current direction through the patch program and understand where they're headed, slow as it may be.

Part of the challenge is (IMO) that they want to make the universe as real as possible.  I feel like that's why there's so many different ship types under development.  The reality is you wouldn't have to have nearly so many to launch the game, but in something as large as what they are creating, the number of craft would be endless in variety, and i think they're trying to give that feel.  No one wants a game where "top tier" builds are always cookie cutter using the same ship and loadout.  While i think that will happen to some extent, because it's a video game in the end, and people will always min/max, the idea of different manufacturers catering to different styles at least means while you're cruising the verse, you're less likely to see random Super Hornet #598 which was built exactly like Super Hornet #329 you saw 5 minutes ago.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have read that you can save your configuration file and just put it back after a patch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

You can also delete all of the folders out of USER except for Profiles and it cleans out the shaders without getting rid of controls.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

True.

And as mentioned by NorthPolar, the "standard" game development model often allows for hiding of major flaws due to the closed nature of the process, so you get games that look great in the trailers like Anthem, but end up being DOA once you crack open that pretty shell and find the rotten core that they hid from you behind flashy and staged releases.

Here, the curtain is pulled back, and all the good and bad is there to be seen, commented on, and improved (hopefully).  It does make focus more difficult with all the voices advocating for so many different directions, but at least you see the current direction through the patch program and understand where they're headed, slow as it may be.

Part of the challenge is (IMO) that they want to make the universe as real as possible.  I feel like that's why there's so many different ship types under development.  The reality is you wouldn't have to have nearly so many to launch the game, but in something as large as what they are creating, the number of craft would be endless in variety, and i think they're trying to give that feel.  No one wants a game where "top tier" builds are always cookie cutter using the same ship and loadout.  While i think that will happen to some extent, because it's a video game in the end, and people will always min/max, the idea of different manufacturers catering to different styles at least means while you're cruising the verse, you're less likely to see random Super Hornet #598 which was built exactly like Super Hornet #329 you saw 5 minutes ago.
View Quote

One positive note on the scope realm is that they haven't had a concept sale since 2019.  Meaning they haven't put a new ship into the pipeline since then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top