Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2021 2:28:32 AM EDT

1st time post to this sub-forum... I've been on Arfcom since 2004 (GD).

I'll need to do a Form 86 questionnaire for a TSO / DHS position.   Going through the hiring process now.   Passed my CBT last week.   Got the contingent offer.

I'm actually excited and wanted to have a positive experience with this and looking forward to growing into a lateral agency position as they become available through my journey.  

This would be my 1st Federal gov job and wanted to know more about what to expect.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]
As in, the SF-86 on E-Qip?

It’s just a detailed BGC form that will make you want a stiff drink and a mindless comedy movie after completing.

Nothing esoteric about it. Just follow the instructions.

http://tsa.golearnportal.org/rawmedia_repository/51e62b834270f542ce6fb4a8b8df9538

https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf

Make sure to save a copy. Comes in handy for remembering all the info later on if you have to fill out another.

Congrats on your new gig.

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You will be emailed a link
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah. The hiring official or new supervisor should let you know when and what they need.  I suppose if you’ve moved around a ton you could get a head start on what you’ll need to provide.  

Equip should save everything for you (for the next BI) but fuck trusting that shit entirely.  I save multiple copies of the info.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Its going to ask you about every thing you have done, for the past 7-10 years depending on the security clearance the job requires.

Things like education, employment, legal issues like tickets, arrests, party to lawsuits. List of all family members, dead or alive, spouse's family, kids, pretty much everything. Its even more fun if you have a parent that wasn't born in the US, or have a sibling that has had some run ins with the police.
Then you need to go searching for records for all the negative stuff, from speeding tickets to your mom's naturalization certificate number... lots of fun

The biggest pain in the ass for most people is places where you lived and places you visited outside the US. For military guys who moved every few months, it can be tough to remember all the addresses and come up with names of neighbors. For those who like to travel around the world a lot, remembering exact dates can be a pain.

The higher the clearance level, the farther down the rabbit hole the investigator will go.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Just about to do my 5 year TS reinvestigation interview tomorrow morning.  Gladly this will be my last before I retire.  Be grateful for the eqip system that at least saves a good portion of your information from your last one. You still have to fill in the gaps depending on the level of clearance you are getting but it’s a major timesaver and so much less of a pain in the ass than it was when I first came on where you had to either fill it out by hand or type that motherfucker and mail it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
It's straightforward, depending on who's reviewing it and what's in it there they may or may not request an interview for Secret. For anything above, you'll have at least an interview and maybe poly and more interviews.

Word to the wise: when you're finished PRINT IT ALL and keep it in a secure place!!!!!

It makes life much easier the next time around after tracking down all that information. Trust me, it's a mistake you'll kick yourself for.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#7]
During recruiter school I had to hand-jam an SF-86 at like 0500 because my unit's S2 didn't think to inform me that I needed an updated one to go to the school. Fun level: low.

Took me like 3 hours of calling around to get info. So yes, SAVE THAT FORM and have everything available.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top