Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2020 2:14:16 AM EDT
Totally new to PC gaming and just DLed squad tonight. Lots of fun but the keyboard tough. I decided no more PS/Xbox bullshit.

Anyone want to carry some noobs? LOL
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I did, but I found it hard to find groups that actually wanted to play the game tactically, as it seemed to be intended.  Most were just run and gun like COD.  If you're looking for more team based, tactical online games like that, the Arma series is tough to beat, although it has a steep learning curve but the modding community is excellent.  You can do anything from a zombie based roleplay server with a full economy to a military simulation unit that is based off real world military units.  Squad does have some unique characteristics though, it's too bad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did, but I found it hard to find groups that actually wanted to play the game tactically, as it seemed to be intended.  Most were just run and gun like COD.  If you're looking for more team based, tactical online games like that, the Arma series is tough to beat, although it has a steep learning curve but the modding community is excellent.  You can do anything from a zombie based roleplay server with a full economy to a military simulation unit that is based off real world military units.  Squad does have some unique characteristics though, it's too bad.
View Quote

If you're jumping into random servers, yes. OP, best bet would be to find a server you like, most have a discord server to go along with it. Jump into their discord and start playing with regular groups. If you're jumping into random squads on random new player friendly servers then yes.

Otherwise ARMA is fun if you enjoy the steepest learning curve known to man and hordes of LARPers living out their "I almost joined the military" dreams. I'm somewhat being a dick about it but seriously, if you want something more realistic and a more hardcore community then ARMA is in fact a great suggestion. If you want something more hardcore than battlefield but not as much as ARMA then stick to squad. I can't remember most of the servers off the top of my head but I play exclusively on the Fear and Terror servers since they're extremely actrively moderated so TK'ers, cheaters, and all other griefers get a very swift boot.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
So far squad has a lot going on. It seemed pretty overwhelming at first but everything interfaces really well and is easy to learn or figure out on the fly lol.

Keep in mind that this is pretty much my first real PC game ever. Everything is new to me.

It looks like there is a ton of servers going of all kinds. Right now I’m sticking to the noob servers lol. I got 4 kills in a round today. The noob servers are free for alls. I’m excited to get into matches with good commanders and squad leaders.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far squad has a lot going on. It seemed pretty overwhelming at first but everything interfaces really well and is easy to learn or figure out on the fly lol.

Keep in mind that this is pretty much my first real PC game ever. Everything is new to me.

It looks like there is a ton of servers going of all kinds. Right now I’m sticking to the noob servers lol. I got 4 kills in a round today. The noob servers are free for alls. I’m excited to get into matches with good commanders and squad leaders.
View Quote

The noob servers are a good place to start. I'll PM you with the link for my discord server, there's a few of us that play there sometimes. If you go full in on squad and ever want to mix it up a bit then Post Scriptum is worth checking out. Mostly the same gameplay, same engine, it's an actually an offshoot of the Squad dev team but it's WWII instead of modern day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top