[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop caring.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Spudtech.com. Doesn’t look like they are taking orders at the moment.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A good one uses two screws drilled into some large diameter pvc pipe, about an inch apart.

Drilled at a angle so they are 1/8 inch apart inside the tube.

One the attaches a grill lighter to the screw

attach a fitting on one side to use a screw on lid. Attach a fitting to the other side to attach your barrel to the other. Let it dry. Don't click the lighter till it's all taped up. Common mistake.

Fuel is a 1.5 second squirt from cheap air spray after its been loaded. Screw lid on tight and maybe test fire first.

Dont actually do and of what I just said but if you do have fun
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A good one uses two screws drilled into some large diameter pvc pipe, about an inch apart.

Drilled at a angle so they are 1/8 inch apart inside the tube.

One the attaches a grill lighter to the screw

attach a fitting on one side to use a screw on lid. Attach a fitting to the other side to attach your barrel to the other. Let it dry. Don't click the lighter till it's all taped up. Common mistake.

Fuel is a 1.5 second squirt from cheap air spray after its been loaded. Screw lid on tight and maybe test fire first.

Dont actually do and of what I just said but if you do have fun

Sorry but I disagree.

Pneumatic.

Sucks to take a minute to charge it but I have launched a D cell battery with over 12 seconds of loft when fired straight up.   I have launched a lot of shit from spud guns in my day and the pneumatic stuff running a sprinkler valve rated for 115-125PSI is a bad bitch

If you could figure out the storage tank for quick charging you have the world's biggest air rifle.

Quoted:
Three tips.

Put a sharp bevel on the muzzle end to make shoving in potatoes easier.

Use ether as a propellant, not hair spray. Hair spray leaves behind a wet glue residue that will gum up your ignitor.

A C or D cell battery wrapped in duct tape to achieve to the proper diameter makes one hell of a projectile. I shot through a wooden fence from 50' with mine.

There is a pipe diameter that a D-cell would slip fit just about perfectly into.  No tape needed because the air blowing by seemed to help it glide out of the barrel even easier.

And yeah.

Feeling a 6ft barrel spud gun with a 3in diameter by 3ft storage tube "recoil" like a kind of howtizer when you fire a D cell was fun.

If you rig it to have an electrical trigger...   do two switches in series so they both have to be pressed to fire.    I put a hole through the garage door and the ceiling with a C-cell battery the first time I wired up for electronic firing and only had one switch installed.

These days a 3D printer could make some awesome fin stabilized pieces for things like big assed 60d 5 inch long nails.   World's angriest blow gun or new Jart  "bombardment" high altitude world record holder...

the new hotness seems to be vacuum guns

This guy really perfected a simple design
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I made quite a few of these back in the day. Ether/1 1/2" pipe/grill ignitor  are all solid advice. Several years ago I found a company that makes 1/ 1/2" rifled barrel stock, but never ordered any. They had quite the website, too. Triggers, scope mounts.....

ETA- beer has jogged my memory. I used a piece of pipe as a sizer to cut taters down to the correct OD, then cut them for length. I discovered I could use the cut-off tater circles like shotgun wadding, then dice up the rest of the spoil like hash browns. One wad 3" up the barrel, handful of hash brown grapeshot, another wad at the breech end of the barrel. If the tater wars really heated up, it was handy to have three or four such barrels already loaded and stuck in a quiver, or carried by a buddy. Crew-served area denial tater cannons are best cannons (except for real cannons).
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't shot this in years, it's pretty dirty, but here are some pics.

I added the quick disconnect  adapter so I could leave it connected to a compressor all the time. There's a standard fill nipple at the tip too.  That nozzle is what activates the valve. It’s WAY faster than electronic. It’s a 1” valve and I’ve removed all possible restriction/obstruction from the air path. The current barrel is sleeved (not perfect, see the gap) to fit golf balls. Its insane.

ETA Those two little pieces of pvc pipe and zip ties are only spacers to support the barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I always used those lantern strikers, gives off a good sized spark....
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Once upon a time someone was selling rifled PVC tubing....

Twist rate for potato?

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m guessing it broke at a weld?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Saw one made of steel tubing welded together. About a week later the guy had a BBQ & broke it out to show his guests. My Father told me the back blew of & the guy was standing behind it & took it in the grill. Blood & teeth...

I’m guessing it broke at a weld?

Dumb fuck was probably using acetylene.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not in IA. A machine gun, unregistered SBR/SBS "or other object" which fires a projectile greater than 6/10 of an inch is illegal.

That said, it would be an addon charge, like if you ahot your neighbor with it and he called the cops. They wouldn't bother charging you for launching potatoes across the pond.
View Quote

I used to take mine down to 7 Ponds Park by Burlington and shoot it while camping, never had an issue.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top