Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2019 2:08:59 PM EDT
My son is in the delayed entry program and leaves for Army basic training at Fort Jackson on July 9th. According to his recruiter, his graduation date is September 18th. His mom and I are trying to plan ahead for to make sure to be down there for family day and graduation. Any and all advice( where to stay, what to do, can he go places with us, etc.) would be greatly appreciated. His MOS is avionics and will go to Virginia shortly after graduation. We want to make the most out the time down there with him. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Please thank him for his service for me, and to be safe.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck to your son. My son ships out on 13 May, so his freedom as he knows it is about to end. My son goes to Ft. Jackson as well and then Ft. Belvoir as well. My son's grad date is 18 July which sucks for me. I am stuck in Afghanistan myself and can leave until the following week. Oh well, I promised him I would be at his AIT graduation in Nov. My son is in the Alaska Army Guard and will be a Blackhawk crew chief. What about your son?

Back to the original question, it will still be hot in Sep. and family day is the Wednesday before his graduation usually. Make sure you make it to family day. My wife and youngest will be there for my son's so I am happy for that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, my son's BCT grad date from Ft. Jackson was wrong on the website, so I will be there to see him graduate now on 25 July! I am excited, and I get to leave my contract gig 10 days earlier!
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Popcop] [#4]
It's a heck of a journey to be a military parent. My son had a hell of a ride. Went in January of '18 Fort Benning  MOS 11-BRAVO with the flu. Then he recovered without missing any training, then he got pneumonia, missed two days on bed rest but made them up. The whole time he had to pass weekly PT tests. Then he had stress fractures on one knee. Dislocated the same arm twice;  OSUT (one station unit training)  is different for infantry than other MOS's. Then they have two weeks of FTX before Honer Hill. He twisted his ankle on a log during FTX because his night vision wasn't working. He passed FTX wearing an ankle brace. He is currently in Fort Bragg 2nd Battalion 325th AIR. He' s a little Pit Bull fighter and I'm one proud Papa. Good luck to your soldier and welcome to the journey!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:12:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GiggleSmith] [#5]
Oh, the memories of finishing Basic.

I'm here (Fort Dix), take this road to this road, etc.
I wound up seeing some Aunts & Uncles I hadn't seen for a few years.

AIT Graduation was a bit different: Different Time Zone for starters.

No More PT, Drill Sergeant,
No More PT!
We hate it,
We Loathe it,
We don't want more of it!

Dare ya son memorize those words.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top