Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/30/2020 8:29:44 AM EDT
I have an adult bullmastiff. She sheds way more than I would imagine.

Is there a convenient way to cut down on the pet hair all over my house?

Brushing such a large dog grows quite tedious.

Has anybody tried one of the Shop-Vac type attachments?

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I will attempt to shopvac my terripoo in a few minutes.  Will report back.  No special attachments available - just the 4" wide head.

Update.  He says hell no.  Maybe on the back while I'm holding him by the collar.  But nowhere near the head or the other head down below.

But, he looks good and I think I'll keep working on it.  Thanks for the idea.  He says f*#@ you.  ??

Second update.  The prissy little American Eskimo who enjoys a hair dryer after a bath is totally down with the shopvac.  Thanks again for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Smooth coated dog = Furminator brand shedding comb x 10 minutes a day without fail. After a few weeks you'll start to make headway.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have an adult bullmastiff. She sheds way more than I would imagine.

Is there a convenient way to cut down on the pet hair all over my house?

Brushing such a large dog grows quite tedious.

Has anybody tried one of the Shop-Vac type attachments?

View Quote

All the time. My Dobermans LOVE it and start eyeballing me if they hear it get turned on. My rescue dog was leery of the shop vac the first few times I went after her with it but after seeing how much the Dobermans dig it every time I use it on them she somehow got it in her brain that it is some sort of treat and she comes running for it now.

Shop vac is usually my last choice though. Only use that if I do not want to go outside for whatever reason.

Absolute fastest way for me by far is to use the air compressor and a blower. 120 psi will knock all the loose crap off of them in less than 30 seconds. Loose hair, dander, dandruff, anything not 'stuck' really good is coming off. LOL! Can usually get all 3 dogs done before the tank bleeds down to where I can tell there is a pressure loss / or the pump starts up. (155 psi tank pressure regulated to about 120 at the hose)

This is the blower I use 99% of the time:

I ditched the ball in the middle, epoxied the 2 parts back together permanently and opened the port in the tip just a slight bit. When you plug it in you get a pile of air in a hurry!

Obviously you don't want to point that anywhere near a dogs eyes / face or dangly bits. Easier to teach the dog to accept that kind of cleaning if you start getting them accustomed to it with lower air pressure and in less sensitive areas on their body.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I could give Mike Lindell a run for his money with production numbers. Mt Rottweiler is a hair factory like no other. I use a Furminator and it works wonders.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
I could give Mike Lindell a run for his money with production numbers. Mt Rottweiler is a hair factory like no other. I use a Furminator and it works wonders.
View Quote

I've had two to three at a time in the past.
Its hard to explain just how much black hair a Rott can leave on the floor, and everywhere else for that matter. Lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Houlagan72:

I've had two to three at a time in the past.
Its hard to explain just how much black hair a Rott can leave on the floor, and everywhere else for that matter. Lol
View Quote

Man I cant even imagine more than one at a time. It is a part timew job just keeping one in check. Having a Rottweiler  in the house you just have to acquire the taste of dog hair.  No matter how much you brush, and no matter how many baths you still wake up in the morning chewing on hair.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I took the shopvac to the dog the other day.  I was vacuuming and she refused to move.  So, I vacuumed her a few times.  Much to my surprise, she layed there and didn't care.  

Four years ago when I first got her and her brother, they'd go to a different room if the vacuum was turned on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got three German shedders, ones a plush coat. Plus my little mutt which has a dual coat like a northern Spitz.  I'm thinking air compressor and nozzle shows promise.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got three German shedders, ones a plush coat. Plus my little mutt which has a dual coat like a northern Spitz.  I'm thinking air compressor and nozzle shows promise.
View Quote

My rescue mutt has a double coat. (Pyrenees mix)

The dander that collects on her is ungodly. Hard to see light colored dander on a white dog until I go at her with the air blower and THEN I can see just how bad it was as it comes off and gets sent downrange. LOL!  That dog gets air hosed at least once a day in the spring / summer before coming back inside the house.

Fortunately she digs it. Bounces around afterwards like a nut happy...

That dog loves the shop vac too and will lay there and let me use that on her no problem but her hair is so long and the coat so thick that it never even comes close to getting the dander off of her. Big chunks of loose hair the shop vac will get on her but the loose stuff close to the skin not so much.

Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I took the shopvac to the dog the other day.  I was vacuuming and she refused to move.  So, I vacuumed her a few times.  Much to my surprise, she layed there and didn't care.  

Four years ago when I first got her and her brother, they'd go to a different room if the vacuum was turned on.
View Quote

Sometimes it has to do with the frequency of the sound.

My Dobermans never really seemed bothered by the sound (or using it on them) of my shop vac but for the first few years they would get gone if the upright was turned on. Something about that particular sound they just did not like and it took them time to get used to it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#11]
My GSD hates being brushed period but will let my vacuum her all day long
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Sometimes it has to do with the frequency of the sound.

My Dobermans never really seemed bothered by the sound (or using it on them) of my shop vac but for the first few years they would get gone if the upright was turned on. Something about that particular sound they just did not like and it took them time to get used to it.
View Quote

Thanks.  I brushed her yesterday after I bathed her (she managed to roll in something stinky and I couldn't even stand to be in the same room with her).  Anyway, a lot of fur came off during the bath and when I brushed her, more fur came out. Shed-master.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top