Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2020 4:59:51 PM EDT
I had to remove the gap filler block to do this job.  Five pieces had to be faced to a minimum clean-up. Though two could have been done without opening the gap,
the order I got the parts into the shop meant that the block was already out.  A boring bar was required to reach the work.  Made for a less than rigid set-up.

Facing the flanged tube. The O.D. of the tube is 32" and 10" long.  The flange is 1/2".  Minimum clean-up required facing the three high areas about 0.150"
The material: Plasma cut 316L Stainless Steel. Note that the Kant-Twist clamp is holding a small lead ingot to the AL-8 (1/2" square shank) tool. The lead ingot
is to reduce high frequency tool chatter---a squeak. The bit is upside down and I'm tuning backwards:

From my regular viewpoint:

316L 3/4" thick washer, with 3" wide gasket surface needed  There were two of these.  One needed about 0.070" faced, while this one needed closer to 0.140"
20" I.D and 37" O.D.:

Three of the finished parts.  I did not get a photo while turning the carbon steel flanges with the holes.  But, they only had about 1/8" clearance in the gap.
There is also a 1/2" bevel on the inside of these 1" thick plates.  I only had about 3/8" contact chucked up on the I.D. To keep the chatter down, several
rubber pads were clamped to the backside using shoes clamped to the T-slots in the chuck.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang old timer, that machine looks as young as you!

Can you share the general application for the parts? Oil & Gas?

Thanks for sharing, it is cool to see stuff get made. I bet those parts aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#2]
These parts are actually for a phosphorous refining application.  I don't quite know all the details, but it is part of a system that is being re-worked and will be surrounded by refractory concrete.  These pieces will be part of the hot exhaust gas cooling system.

As the title says, it is something a little different from the electric motor work that I normally do.

That lathe is actually what I'd call a youngster.  It was made in 1983.  My favorite lathe in the shop was made in 1952, but alas it is not big enough for this job.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, one other thing about the washer in the lathe.  That one now has a 25" diameter eight hole bolt circle with 3/4 NPT threaded holes.  I had to get the big guy in the shop to turn the "tap" wrench in order to finish the holes.  I was able to get two of them done, but even with a four foot cheater bar length, it was all I could do with a new tap.  My 143 pounds of body weight was not enough.  The big guy weighs in at about 360 pounds, but he is also 6'9" or so.  Poor guy has to duck going through doorways.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#4]
That is cool!

Funny how a lot of machining photos look the same until you see the scale of the work.  That boring bar is big and I cant imagine having to use a cheater bar to tap something.

Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of other bars available that are a bit bigger, but the tool post that holds them to that lathe won't allow the full reach on the diameter.  If you notice, the Aloris tool post is actually on the outboard side, not on the inboard side which you normally see.

As far as the cheater bar goes, 316L Stainless is a bitch to tap.  Were it carbon steel, it would have been doable for me alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top