Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2021 5:16:57 PM EDT
I was given an 18" x 36" solar panel (didn't work, saved it from being tossed) and I would like to use it on one of my hunting shacks. Besides a couple batteries, what will I need?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A solar charge controller.

If you want 120 VAC, an inverter.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Just looking to charge phones and maybe run a 12v fan on warm days.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was given an 18" x 36" solar panel (didn't work, saved it from being tossed) and I would like to use it on one of my hunting shacks. Besides a couple batteries, what will I need?
View Quote

Your post says it didn't work, and that's why it was getting tossed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just looking to charge phones and maybe run a 12v fan on warm days.
View Quote

Then my previous post covers it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it work properly?

What's the max voltage?  What's the max current?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Your post says it didn't work, and that's why it was getting tossed.
View Quote
Correct. I took it home, disassembled, and fixed it (loose wire).
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Then my previous post covers it.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does it work properly?

What's the max voltage?  What's the max current?
View Quote
Yeah, it works now. Puts out 20 volts. No idea on max current.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have an ammeter function in your multimeter, put the panel output thru the ammeter.  That will tell you the current.  Fear not, solar panels are current limited by the amount of sunlight hitting them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you have an ammeter function in your multimeter, put the panel output thru the ammeter.  That will tell you the current.  Fear not, solar panels are current limited by the amount of sunlight hitting them.
View Quote

That only tells you what current the panel can drive in that load.

Watch out.

The lower voltage often has a decent amount of current available.
Most meters cannot measure all that much DC current.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll dig it out of the shed tonight and see if any info is on the back.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Probably loads down enough for a 12v system.  And labels or data on the panel?  Your op is a lot like saying "I have a car and it doesn't work. How do I make it go?"
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Probably loads down enough for a 12v system.  And labels or data on the panel?  Your op is a lot like saying "I have a car and it doesn't work. How do I make it go?"
View Quote
I'll endeavor to do better next time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool.  I'll always help a friend of Albert, given enough to go on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the only thing on it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Of it's outputting voltage you just need the charge regulator in-between it and the battery
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That only tells you what current the panel can drive in that load.

Watch out.

The lower voltage often has a decent amount of current available.
Most meters cannot measure all that much DC current.
View Quote

It gives a good indication of short circuit current output for the panel (output at nearly 0 V).  You will never get more current than that.  Certainly, you will get less at higher voltages.

The other measurement is open circuit voltage - voltage into a voltmeter.  You will never get more voltage than that.

My cheapie meter is rated for a max of 10 A DC.  They usually tell you right on the front panel.  If you are worried, turn the panel to face away from the sun, attach the meter, then slowly rotate the panel towards the sunlight.  If it starts to go over your meter's max, stop and disconnect.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmmm....  it mmmmmight be a Harbor Freight Thunderbolt panel.    If that's the case, it is designed for a 12v system.  That's reinforced by the 20v no load voltage you mentioned, though that's 2v higher than I'd expect.  Hook a tail light to it, then read across the light to see where it drops to.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hmmmm....  it mmmmmight be a Harbor Freight Thunderbolt panel.    If that's the case, it is designed for a 12v system.  That's reinforced by the 20v no load voltage you mentioned, though that's 2v higher than I'd expect.  Hook a tail light to it, then read across the light to see where it drops to.
View Quote
Looks like it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-watt-solar-panel-63940.html
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The voltage is very sensitive to temperatrure, so a cool panel will have a higher open circuit voltage.  

Also, it looks to be amorphous silicon not single or poly-crystalline silicon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top