Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/15/2024 8:10:02 PM EDT
50% tariffs added to all Chinese panels announced today.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't care.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:14:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piciphant] [#3]
I just ordered 2400 watts worth, $.50/watt, add %50= $.75/watt still, cheap
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Don't care.
View Quote

You cared enough to respond
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, China.

civil war film "I'm from Hong Kong. Oh, China." scene
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PatriotAr15] [#6]
I hate Biden.

But he's literally just copying Trump policies. I can't really go against it now as that would be inconsistent.

I never understood why Neocons are totally fine with sanctions...but not tariffs. So it's ok to ban trade totally...but not OK to merely tax it?

A tariff is basically like Sanction-lite.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
For the past 6 months I've been working to build out a solar manufacturing plant near Columbus, a US/China collaboration. They have two of their eventual 4 assembly lines up and are building 5k panels a day. I thought the price would be going down..
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#8]
At the very least, I think everyone should Put some panels in their garage for barter in case the the ship hits.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Don't care.

Don't care that the price is going up.  We SHOULD have high tariffs on all Chinese goods.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Good.

Fuck China!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Even though it was announced today, I though I read where it wouldn't take effect for months. So, take credit for *sounding* tough on the Chinese, but then not actually being tough on the Chinese.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I got 6,000 watts sitting collecting dust for the past 2 years cause I just haven't had time to go gung ho on building out an off grid set up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Don't care that the price is going up.  We SHOULD have high tariffs on all Chinese goods.
View Quote

and not getting into bed with them on collaborations. Chine is not our friend, they are blaming corporate America based on their greed and out criminal politicians are happy to let it all happen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snozberry] [#14]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
I hate Biden.

But he's literally just copying Trump policies. I can't really go against it now as that would be inconsistent.

I never understood why Neocons are totally fine with sanctions...but not tariffs. So it's ok to ban trade totally...but not OK to merely tax it?

View Quote

Politically convenient sanctions. For example, obama banning russian firearms. This is not about hurting china. There are so many better ways and products to do that through. This is to hurt you, the private firearms owner.

Bonus for optics that say "we did something!"
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Great, just as prices were getting to reasonable.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh dear, "sustainable power delusion rectangles".....
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By phatmax:
Oh dear, "sustainable power delusion rectangles".....
View Quote

I look at them more for anyone looking to get any of the foldable kind for shtf situations.  I just ordered 2 more 200w Renology panels for my battery box cuz prices will be going up due to this.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Once upon a time, there were no income taxes, and fedgiv was largely funded by import tariffs.
Any move back towards that is a good move.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
If only there was a way we could get the things we need without having others make them for us .
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I hate Biden.

View Quote

I support tariffs, but this is different than Trumps.

Biden made Americans adapt solar energy, then slapped a 59% tariff on solar panels from the company which makes 87% of them.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Won’t Chinese manufacturers just import them by the way of an intermediate country?

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Linvx:

Biden made Americans adapt solar energy, then slapped a 59% tariff on solar panels from the company which makes 87% of them.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Linvx:
I hate Biden.

No one made me adapt solar energy.  Because I haven't.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
“Even though it was announced today, I though I read where it wouldn't take effect for months. So, take credit for *sounding* tough on the Chinese, but then not actually being tough on the Chinese.”

My thought exactly. Announce future sanctions to gain votes then can delay or cancel after November if he wins. Biden doesn’t have an honest bone in his body
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Now remove any federal tax credit/rebate for them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Ammon:
I got 6,000 watts sitting collecting dust for the past 2 years cause I just haven't had time to go gung ho on building out an off grid set up.
View Quote

You could have saved $87,000 in power company electricity in that time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
It's cloudy and rains here alot. I think fjb should pay off my debt of solar panels if I made the bad choice of purchasing them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#27]

No one made me adapt solar energy.  Because I haven't.
View Quote

Wanna bet? I bet your utility has installed solar farms because of FJBs policies. When they plan to replace those panels because FJB forced them to buy them due to shitty non free market capitalism policies then guess who's going to pay for them.....

We're all fucked due to this. They are forcing base load coal generation to retire to install shit like this and wind that cost a lot more money and don't contribute to a stable power grid.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Wanna bet? I bet your utility has installed solar farms because of FJBs policies.
View Quote

Nope.  Not yet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:29:02 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
fuck tariffs. all it does is put money in bidens pockets and screw the consumers. we did this with tires. big tire bitches to the govt that they cant compete with cheap china tires at $90 when their tires are $240. so govt charges us consumers a tariff and now all tires are $200. only big tire says we are premium and should be more than china tires. so they raise prices accordingly. now us consumers get to buy over priced china tires or over prices big tire brand tires. We are the ones losing out on this tariff bullshit.  if china is asshole goto fucking war with china. if china is not asshole stop fucking my asshole over it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
fuck tariffs. all it does is put money in bidens pockets and screw the consumers. we did this with tires. big tire bitches to the govt that they cant compete with cheap china tires at $90 when their tires are $240. so govt charges us consumers a tariff and now all tires are $200. only big tire says we are premium and should be more than china tires. so they raise prices accordingly. now us consumers get to buy over priced china tires or over prices big tire brand tires. We are the ones losing out on this tariff bullshit.  if china is asshole goto fucking war with china. if china is not asshole stop fucking my asshole over it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slappomatt:

That's borderline incoherent.  The fact we've gotten used to cheap prices from Chinese slave labor doesn't make it moral.  We don't have to go to war with every evil country but we sure as hell don't have to do business with them, either.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:54:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NvrBrdWes] [#31]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By laphil47:
“Even though it was announced today, I though I read where it wouldn't take effect for months. So, take credit for *sounding* tough on the Chinese, but then not actually being tough on the Chinese.”

My thought exactly. Announce future sanctions to gain votes then can delay or cancel after November if he wins. Biden doesn’t have an honest bone in his body
View Quote

You mean like forgiving student loans, knowing he did not have the authority to do so in the first place?
"Oh, I can't do that? Oh, well, at least it bought votes for the DNC, so that's good enough for our purposes"
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By NvrBrdWes:

Was wondering this, Trump is praised for China tariff but FJB when he does it first? Not a N_T, just genuinely curious about the thought process here...

ETA a decent responce

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NvrBrdWes:
I hate Biden.

Was wondering this, Trump is praised for China tariff but FJB when he does it first? Not a N_T, just genuinely curious about the thought process here...

ETA a decent responce

Originally Posted By Snozberry:

Politically convenient sanctions. For example, obama banning russian firearms. This is not about hurting china. There are so many better ways and products to do that through. This is to hurt you, the private firearms owner.

Bonus for optics that say "we did something!"
I was wondering the same thing. Trump did it good, FJB does it bad? Good response by Snoz tho, so my next question is was Trump's tariffs politically convenient too (I stand up to Chyna!) or actually hurt China?

Seems all that happens on the American consumer side is higher prices or products unavailable and no domestic replacement.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RiverSwine45] [#34]
The confusing part is there if federal money paying for people to put panels up on their roof. Many new companies been running around Florida for a couple years now trying to sign people up if they fit in a category.

2 young fellas came by just yesterday wanting to see and photograph my power bill and sign me up for a heat signature satellite snapshot to see if I would qualify. All they did or knew was how to sign up for an eligibility check. They couldn't tell me anything about the technology and system that would be installed, that's much later.

Online searches for this shit is all hiding behind personal data submission.

Anyone know the deal? What I'm hearing is there is no storage and the systems don't pay you for what you put into the grid anymore. These guys could only tell me there is no storage systems so it's my assumption that putting power into the grid is free to the power Co.

And what happens when the grid is down for extended periods from hurricane and such?

Adding this may be a means of creating urgency to sign up before the cost go up in these programs
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:33:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Packin] [#35]
Why dont they put the import tariff on the exporter / manufacturer instead of the buyers?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Packin:
Why dont they put the import tariff on the exporter / manufacturer instead of the buyers?
View Quote

Who then passes the cost to the person "scammed" into buying that system.

Just say no to solar crap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#37]
Great...

I have 3 projects planned, and have only stashed the panels for 2.  I have a 1.5 pallets stashed, but the main project needs 4.  That said, batteries and inverters will cost more than the panels - or at least they did before this.  

I really don't have room to stash 4 more pallets.  Might need to build room I guess.  But even the announcement will probably increase demand now and bump up the price.  Just checked, company I ordered from has increased the price 75% but they are on "sale" for about what I paid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#38]
50% tariffs added to all Chinese panels announced today.
View Quote

Good
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#39]
This will really help the Hemlock solar panel plant in Clarksville, TN.  Wait, that flopped before it was even built, in large part because they somehow figured out they couldn't compete with these cheaper Chinese panels.  Before it was built, but not before they got some sweet govt money.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
The confusing part is there if federal money paying for people to put panels up on their roof. Many new companies been running around Florida for a couple years now trying to sign people up if they fit in a category.

2 young fellas came by just yesterday wanting to see and photograph my power bill and sign me up for a heat signature satellite snapshot to see if I would qualify. All they did or knew was how to sign up for an eligibility check. They couldn't tell me anything about the technology and system that would be installed, that's much later.

Online searches for this shit is all hiding behind personal data submission.

Anyone know the deal? What I'm hearing is there is no storage and the systems don't pay you for what you put into the grid anymore. These guys could only tell me there is no storage systems so it's my assumption that putting power into the grid is free to the power Co.

And what happens when the grid is down for extended periods from hurricane and such?

Adding this may be a means of creating urgency to sign up before the cost go up in these programs
View Quote

Probably same as always, its a massive scam where you "lease" the equipment and get robbed blind in the long term while being unable to sell your house.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:56:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyboy] [#41]
Huge difference between "announced" and actually implemented.  Especially with the lying dems and an election year.  If implemented, then the subsidies just go up to match, minus the big guys cut.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Yes costs get passed along, but now the exporter isnt getting what they were wanting originally wanted for their items so they cant sell them as cheap given they were made with communist child labor.  
This in return still make the exported product itself more equal in the competitive market leaving it up to the consumer to decide which one to purchase as all are priced the same. All imported things not just solar

Essentually transfers the pain to the exporter
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:32:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ming_The_Merciless] [#45]
Yes costs get passed along, but now the exporter isnt getting what they were wanting originally wanted for their items so they cant sell them as cheap given they were made with communist child labor.  
This in return still make the exported product itself more equal in the competitive market leaving it up to the consumer to decide which one to purchase as all are priced the same. All imported things not just solar

Essentually transfers the pain to the exporter
View Quote

All price increases in a supply system, be it for materials, labor, energy, shipping, wholesale, retail or even tariffs are ultimately paid by the end user - the consumer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Ming_The_Merciless:

All price increases in a supply system, be it for materials, labor, energy, shipping, wholesale, retail or even tariffs are ultimately paid by the end user - the consumer.
View Quote
But not business taxes! Business taxes are never paid by the consumer!

I f**king hate when Pocahontas & Bernie Mittens say that... and every other person who parrots that BS.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

View Quote

We need to know your current power cost before we will know how much we're going to charge you.

And that describes a large segment of the home PV industry, the segment that you should not do business with.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh well. Sucks, but we can't have China eliminate our industrial base than it already is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#49]
What strikes me is the progressives have imposed policies to make us go solar and now Biden is making it harder to get solar from the main source of solar panels.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Mexico will import, rebrand and across the border they come. Y’all are out of touch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top