Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 3:49:08 AM EDT
Watched it last night with the wife. Pretty serious stuff. I've been on the fringes of the tech industry most of my life so I knew about most of the stuff they were warning about but I had been avoiding watching it because I knew that if I did I would be significantly more motivated to cut the social media cord. Well, thats the plan. Facebook will be the most difficult for me. Twitter I mostly use to get the news. There is no social appeal for me with Twitter. Instagram is stupid in my opinion but I've had an account sitting there that I'm going to dump as well. The thing that scares me is that every time I think about it, my mind starts creating justifications for why I shouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The best way to hurt these big tech corporations is to stop using their products. "All of their products." If 75-80 million people moved onto alternative stores, apps, browsers, social media sites - facebook, twitter, google, instagram, and amazon would lose about 1/2 of their US marketing cash flow. Fuck all of them and may they all burn in hell.

Jack Dorsey already looks like a homeless bum, lets make his dream come true.

I deleted my instagram account. I never used it. Amazon prime is going to get cancelled soon. I have a facebook page but haven't added anything to it in years. Never used twitter. Slowly finding my favorite video makers on Odysee, Rumble and Bitchute. Gab TV is a new video hosting platform.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The best way to hurt these big tech corporations is to stop using their products. "All of their products." If 75-80 million people moved onto alternative stores, apps, browsers, social media sites - facebook, twitter, google, instagram, and amazon would lose about 1/2 of their US marketing cash flow. Fuck all of them and may they all burn in hell.

I deleted my instagram account. I never used it. Amazon prime is going to get cancelled soon. I have a facebook page but haven't added anything to it in years. Never used twitter. Slowly finding my favorite video makers on Odysee, Rumble and Bitchute. Gab TV is a new video hosting platform.
View Quote
Agreed. Unfortunately I think most people are either too lazy or too addicted to the big platforms that they wont give it up. Even people who would agree about the dangers of it. That's sad. I don't think there will ever be enough people leave to overcome the grip the tech companies have.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I never use my Facebook or Instagram accounts, but I keep them around waiting for the perfect moment to commit account suicide with an avalanche of posts that will give the censors heart attacks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking to spend less time on the mainstream social media, especially the apps themselves. Spend far too much of my free time or between jobs just browsing the explore pages just scrolling through so much bullshit.

The groups can be very useful for automotive stuff, like inspiration and discount codes and all that, but a lot of it is just the same old waffle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, not only dumping Facebook but sold all their stock too! F'em.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I dumped our FB's after watching that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I also decided to turn off all notifications and setup the screen time feature to bar access to all apps between 9:30 pm and 8:00 am.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm convinced Facebook knows they have a large percentage of users who are so dormant they don't even know they have accounts, much less ever actually look at it.

But, I be they're not telling the stock holders or advertisers that.

Of course, FB is still monitoring everything you do, even if don't get on it, as long as you have an account.  And, they do sell that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Truth.  I was watching the Veritas reveal on Dorsey and his censoring, yesterday, and I thought they were putting the informant's face up, who I though was just quoting Dorsey.  And, I thought, "He looks like a homeless bum, who is going to believe him?"  And, then I realized it was Jack Dorsey on the video, LOL!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I found this short interview with Tristan Harris, one of the creators of The Social Dilema. Very insightful.

Tristan Harris: The End of Free Choice | Real Time with Bill Maher (HBO)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:09:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Truth.  I was watching the Veritas reveal on Dorsey and his censoring, yesterday, and I thought they were putting the informant's face up, who I though was just quoting Dorsey.  And, I thought, "He looks like a homeless bum, who is going to believe him?"  And, then I realized it was Jack Dorsey on the video, LOL!
View Quote
I heard a quote of Tucker Carlson on the radio the other day where he called him "a bearded, ethereal pothead from San Francisco..."  I chuckled at that one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I nuked my FB account a week ago.  I'm on MeWe, but probably 1/10th as much time.

I need to watch that movie..
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Disconnect.  You won't miss it.  Deactivated FB 3 yrs ago and have not even been tempted to return.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time we talk about insurance here, I get advertising for insurance on YT, and now I understand how it works.
That little play button means we're connected, just like the twitter symbol, Instagram symbol, and amazon symbol.
Any website with the links is sending info back the second I open arf.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I have found YT repair, technical/scientific/engineering, hobby (including gun stuff and shooting), and consumer review videos most useful and would miss them the most. So im not getting rid of YT anytime soon unless a politically agnostic competing site has the same stuff.

Also I have a small collection of groups on FB, and family that I keep in touch with. I have definitely been on FB less lately but still check status. Waiting on an alternative site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#16]
The most difficult was Amazon/Amazon Prime.  
But then, there are a ton of different places that are happy to ship things to my door.  It just might take a day or two longer, is all.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Watched it last night at work because of this thread.  Horry shit!  Everyone with a kid needs to watch this thing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:28:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Watched it last night at work because of this thread.  Horry shit!  Everyone with a kid needs to watch this thing.
View Quote
Dang right.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#19]
All you need to know is that the tech billionaire's kids aren't allowed to use any social media.

That should seriously tell you something.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife and I watched it last night. It explains the social disconnect in society today and why society is at the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum. FFB, FG, FT, FSM.

My wife has already dumped her FB account and liquidated our stock in FB and google.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Jack Dorsey and Zitterburg and that Indian maggot from google can suck my ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top