Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#1]
All for pay right now, we will see how long the back/neck hold up. Have a little GA time, would love to buy a super cub
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nicest guys working on that plane.  They put up with my buddy an I.

Where did it go?
View Quote

I believe it is still based at WDG, but I saw it last down at the Vintage Flying Museum in Dallas recently getting some work done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder what the appetite is for a C-130 or a C-131 in the warbird circles as at least a "buy while its still flyable and store as airworthy" purchase.

There are about 15 C-130Es and Hs coming on the market. I still think there are C-131 with radials out there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I fly a couch these days (retired), but the company still sends me a (small) paycheck each month.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I fly a couch these days (retired), but the company still sends me a (small) paycheck each month.  
View Quote

Livin' the dream!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Flown 91/135 corporate, charter, been a sim instructor at CAE and now 121 pax.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I'd really like to step away into other areas of life more often than I do. The job can be very consuming.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wonder what the appetite is for a C-130 or a C-131 in the warbird circles as at least a "buy while its still flyable and store as airworthy" purchase.

There are about 15 C-130Es and Hs coming on the market. I still think there are C-131 with radials out there.
View Quote

I daydream about becoming an eccentric benefactor to a lucky CAF squadron. I still need to win the powerball first.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Flown 91/135 corporate, charter, been a sim instructor at CAE and now 121 pax.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I'd really like to step away into other areas of life more often than I do. The job can be very consuming.
View Quote

This is the part I don't like. I always hear about how its a part time job. Compared to many of my friends, it seems like a job and half.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:31:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Friends, like ones that aren’t from work?  Weird.
View Quote

Well, TBH most of you are what passes for my friends.

So, "imaginary friends."
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, TBH most of you are what passes for my friends.

So, "imaginary friends."
View Quote

That describes many of us that commute to work...
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That describes many of us that commute to work...
View Quote

I don’t fly much, ~300/yr or so and less than 20 overnights but I don’t have many “friends” either. Really, only one. Whenever someone finds out what I do I get asked the same questions:

Can you fly me someplace cool?
What’s it like to make that pilot money?

Most conversations don’t go very far after that. I wonder if the consuming nature of what we do causes a comfortable isolation?  “If you don’t know, you don’t know...” sort of thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@ragingwhite
@mudeagle

I fly with lots of guys who build RV8s, etc or have bush planes in Alaska. I think all of that is cool, and I like hearing about it as we cross the pond, but I have no personal desire to fly GA.

We have had two captains killed flying  a Glass Air type airplane. I don’t know the actual model, but they were out horsing around and wrote a check they could not cash.

I flew DUSTOFF in Afghanistan, and I flew CSAR in the AF. I flew NVGs in the C-23 in Iraq. We were the first Army fixed wing unit to fly with NVGs in combat. I was in the HAATS unit in Colorado, and I have dozens of saves in the mountains of California. I have a drawer full of Sikorsky awards. I have almost bought the farm on several occasions, and I just don’t want to do it anymore.

No hate for those who do. I believe in Liberty!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@ragingwhite
@mudeagle

I fly with lots of guys who build RV8s, etc or have bush planes in Alaska. I think all of that is cool, and I like hearing about it as we cross the pond, but I have no personal desire to fly GA.

We have had two captains killed flying  a Glass Air type airplane. I don’t know the actual model, but they were out horsing around and wrote a check they could not cash.

I flew DUSTOFF in Afghanistan, and I flew CSAR in the AF. I flew NVGs in the C-23 in Iraq. We were the first Army fixed wing unit to fly with NVGs in combat. I was in the HAATS unit in Colorado, and I have dozens of saves in the mountains of California. I have a drawer full of Sikorsky awards. I have almost bought the farm on several occasions, and I just don’t want to do it anymore.

No hate for those who do. I believe in Liberty!

Cool story bro, no need to justify to me why you don't fly GA. I never shit on anyone for not liking the same things I do, everyone has their thing. Everyone started posting their reasoning for only doing certain flying,  so I figured I'd add mine.  

Quoted:
All for pay right now, we will see how long the back/neck hold up. Have a little GA time, would love to buy a super cub

Not sure where you're at in your career, but remember that while HABFM is a blast and you want to stay sharp.  Going up occasionally will save you some pain down the road...as will occasional wear of the 55P.  Sadly, I think for me, the OHWS contracts came too late to save this back and neck.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I paid $2.58 for avgas last time I fueled up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cool story bro, no need to justify to me why you don't fly GA. I never shit on anyone for not liking the same things I do, everyone has their thing. Everyone started posting their reasoning for only doing certain flying,  so I figured I'd add mine.  
View Quote

@ragingwhite

Wow!
You took what I said as a personal insult. That tells me a lot about you.

This entire thread is about why we do what we do. I gave my  reasons. And as I stated in my responses, I wasn’t judging anyone else either. I will stop now before I say something non COC.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Haven't flown since I got out of the .mil.  Definitely don't have the money to fly for fun, let alone the time.  I enjoy watching jets anytime though.  Glad I live just a few miles from Tinker AFB.  There's always some E-3s / KC-135s / E-6s in the pattern here, occasional B-1 and B-52 also.

I  <3 jet noise.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I paid $2.58 for avgas last time I fueled up.
View Quote

Picked up a plane out of south central GA for a local A&P to do the annual on her and fuel was $5.00/gal at the home field, I found it for $2.90/gal at Henry Co just south of ATL.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#18]
A friend flew me up to KSAV last weekend so I could fetch a 310. Fuel there was outrageous as might be expected (Sheltair and Signature-  $7.00/gl and 7.57 respectively

On the advise of a local pilot, I flew 10 minutes NW to KJYL and spent right at $4.00/gl.

How those bastards at Signature and Sheltair stay open baffles me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A friend flew me up to KSAV last weekend so I could fetch a 310. Fuel there was outrageous as might be expected (Sheltair and Signature-  $7.00/gl and 7.57 respectively

On the advise of a local pilot, I flew 10 minutes NW to KJYL and spent right at $4.00/gl.

View Quote

Avgas is not much of a money maker for the large chain FBO's. They make most of their money on Jet A sales, parking fees, services, and convenience costs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Signature, Tac Air, Millionair etc all a bunch of crooks.

We are in and out of Gulfport MS a lot and that bunch at Millionair knows they are the same only game in town.

Complete rip off
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't fly at all, unless absolutely necessary.   It is rarely fun, although I usually do get paid.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#22]
91 for a 121 carrier; air guard as well; and for fun.  I think it was $2.55 at LBX the other day, almost free
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#23]
For the pay check, but it's a lot of fun also.

currently I'm officially laid off due to the corona.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I fly for fun, but I’m compensated well for the drive to the airport, the bullshit we deal with on the ground, and for spending half my life in Hotels.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#25]
American Airlines
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I have always wanted to fly and love every minute of it. From my time in the navy flying A-4s to the present flying A330 as a captain. Every moment a dream and gift from God. I love what I do and the people  I do it with. I even married a flight attendant. I have been blessed in that it also pays well. Now I am nearing the end of my flying career and will miss it greatly, my wife doesn't like the idea of me in a light plane. Still I am considering looking into the local community College that has a flight training program to see what i could do there.
The industry can be tumultuous, but there is nothing better than being in the air.
Fly well, fly safe my friends. I raise a beer to you all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Part 121.

Used to love my job, now I’m surfing a couch for the next two months. I’m bored as can be
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have always wanted to fly and love every minute of it. From my time in the navy flying A-4s to the present flying A330 as a captain. Every moment a dream and gift from God. I love what I do and the people  I do it with. I even married a flight attendant. I have been blessed in that it also pays well. Now I am nearing the end of my flying career and will miss it greatly, my wife doesn't like the idea of me in a light plane. Still I am considering looking into the local community College that has a flight training program to see what i could do there.
The industry can be tumultuous, but there is nothing better than being in the air.
Fly well, fly safe my friends. I raise a beer to you all.
View Quote
It pays well for a few, not for most.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RagingWhite:

Not sure where you're at in your career, but remember that while HABFM is a blast and you want to stay sharp.  Going up occasionally will save you some pain down the road...as will occasional wear of the 55P.  Sadly, I think for me, the OHWS contracts came too late to save this back and neck.
View Quote

Our OHWS starts soon, otherwise we have PT that is funded to help with back/neck pain from a civilian contractor. Flew some BFM today, can't think of a better way to end the week.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By F224:

Avgas is not much of a money maker for the large chain FBO's. They make most of their money on Jet A sales, parking fees, services, and convenience costs.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By F224:

Avgas is not much of a money maker for the large chain FBO's. They make most of their money on Jet A sales, parking fees, services, and convenience costs.

So why is it worth annoying the corporate pilots when they fly their piston singles? I know Trump was pissed at the FBOs at PBI for egregious fees and not discounting the overpriced fuel for his 757. I'm guessing those guys weren't high enough up on his shit list. FBOs meet the very definition of a racket.

Originally and often still specifically, a “racket” referred to a criminal act in which the perpetrator or perpetrators fraudulently offer a service that will not be put into effect, a service to solve a nonexistent problem, or to solve a problem that would not exist without the racket.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, on the bright side, we just got a 10% raise at Atlas. I can't figure out our management, but I am grateful for it as we have not had a cost of living increase in over 7 years...

Sadly, we are still the worst paid pilots in our segment.

I really do enjoy my job in certain respects. I am grateful to be paid to perform my passion, but I won't miss being on the road when my retirement comes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AF-ATC:
Our OHWS starts soon, otherwise we have PT that is funded to help with back/neck pain from a civilian contractor. Flew some BFM today, can't think of a better way to end the week.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AF-ATC:
Our OHWS starts soon, otherwise we have PT that is funded to help with back/neck pain from a civilian contractor. Flew some BFM today, can't think of a better way to end the week.

It's one of the best things going.  Having them right in the squadron is great!  Even 10-15 minutes before and/or after a BFM sortie makes a difference.  

Lol right, Friday BFM or Red Air ACM is definitely the best way to end a week!  '

Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:
Well, on the bright side, we just got a 10% raise at Atlas. I can't figure out our management, but I am grateful for it as we have not had a cost of living increase in over 7 years...

Sadly, we are still the worst paid pilots in our segment.

I really do enjoy my job in certain respects. I am grateful to be paid to perform my passion, but I won't miss being on the road when my retirement comes.

I was glad to see you guys got that raise, well deserved.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Pt 91 only and I haven't even done that in a couple years now
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top