Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2020 4:31:30 PM EDT
New here just curious about everyone here, who flies part 91/121/135 for a living, who flies for personal business and who just for fun?

Started out flying for hire in 1992/93 flying checks, freight and towing banners out of Deland Florida. Moved up to turboprops for an operation out of Peachtree Dekalb. Bounced around the 135 community until i ended up at a great 91 operation.

I currently fly part 91 corporate, we have a mixed fleet a leased Challenger 300, so to be going back and replaced by something bigger, plus a pair of citations and a king air 200.

Business is a bit slow due to travel restrictions. But I pickup work for a local A/C broker retrieving and delivering planes for him as well as an A/P who does king air work.

What’s everyone else doing?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Flyin skilz pays tha billz.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Part 137

Paycheck only.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Supposed to fly for a living. Lately I've been payed to stay home and grow facial hair. Haven't flown in about 7 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Both.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Flying is my job and I love it. I haven’t flown for “fun” in about a decade.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Fly for fun out of PDK.  

Got my private last summer and was 2 weeks out from instrument checkride when Sweet-N-Sour Sickin shut everything down.  Should be back in the air soon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Both, but not for a living, just some part time, occasional Part 91 work.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Flying for fun...… 30yrs now kinda envy you guys that get paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flying for fun...… 30yrs now kinda envy you guys that get paid for it.
View Quote

Honestly I’ve enjoyed as of late delivering the small stuff our local broker had been selling.

Forgot how much fun it was to actually dodge WX in a sporty  Cessna cardinal on the way to south Florida.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Both...
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Part 91. I’ve got the experience to get paid to do it and was seriously considering knocking out my commercial and ATP all at once right when the wuflu hit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Strictly 91 now.

Used to fly part-time 135 in a Cherokee-6 hauling checks around FL and GA, but got real tired of flying through shit weather for shittier pay. I ended up leaving the plane at PDK when the owner wanted me to fly back through level 3's to make a pick up that could wait until the storms passed.

Dropped meat bombs out of a Caravan until the drop zone owner wanted me to drop'em through clouds. Said nope and left him standing on the ramp with a plane fulla jumpers and no one to haul'em aloft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Currently a E175 Captain. Might eventually buy my own plane.

Previously part 135 in a PC12 and some 91 charter in a King Air 200 here and there. Couple hundred hours dual given before that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
20 years as an active duty Army aviator.  13 years (and counting) since military retirement teaching Army flight school.

I like my job but it is my job and I have absolutely zero interest in ever flying again outside of it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Retired Army and Air Force aviator.

Part 121 International Freight. I only whore myself for $...

No desire to fly for fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:14:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't fly anymore but I had an instrument ticket and just north of 3000 hours. Flew for our business some but mainly just for personal trips. Nothing like flying to the ranch in 49 minutes instead of a five hour drive. Three hours to the mountain house vs. a ten hour drive. Life was pretty good. I'm just to old now. I always TRIED to have a perfect flight. Never did. I got close one time on a trip from Chicago to DFW. I was so excited. We had been sucking on Oxygen and had a really tall ( FL24 IIRC) FLIGHT. EVERYTHING was perfect on that flight. As I taxied up to our hangar  I killed the plane and looked for some reason at the altimeter and I realized that I hadn't put it on 29.92. Oh well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Former Army Aviator and current 135 pilot flying doctors around to get organs.  Enjoy my job and would fly for fun if I had the time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't fly anymore but I had an instrument ticket and just north of 3000 hours. Flew for our business some but mainly just for personal trips. Nothing like flying to the ranch in 49 minutes instead of a five hour drive. Three hours to the mountain house vs. a ten hour drive. Life was pretty good. I'm just to old now. I always TRIED to have a perfect flight. Never did. I got close one time on a trip from Chicago to DFW. I was so excited. We had been sucking on Oxygen and had a really tall ( FL24 IIRC) FLIGHT. EVERYTHING was perfect on that flight. As I taxied up to our hangar  I killed the plane and looked for some reason at the altimeter and I realized that I hadn't put it on 29.92. Oh well.
View Quote

I think a lot of it is what you're flying. When I'm flying something with light wing loading in smooth air, every flight feels like it's perfect. I think that's why people love the RV family of aircraft so much.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to fly for fun, but 31 years flying part 121 has pretty much beat all the fun out of flying.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#20]
It still perplexes me today how many professional pilots do not have any desire to fly for fun.  

I used to see that all over the Air Force and now I see it at the airlines; guys who love their job flying, but have no desire to do any additional flying outside that.

Personally, I spend most of my "play money" flying for fun...and doing that helps purge the "FMS babysitter" out of my veins and keeps me from hating my day job.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I do both.

I fly an Airbus so I can afford to fly our Baron for fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Both
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I always TRIED to have a perfect flight. Never did
View Quote

As the saying goes, "a perfect flight hasn't been flown since Orville and Wilbur."
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Single pilot 91 jet about 150 hours a year. Not enough to make it feel like work. Boss likes to hunt and fish and includes me on those trips. Huge perk. The difficult part is explaining to my wife that I’m going to be gone for 6 days for work after loading the truck with guns and waders.

Have a few buddies with private tickets. I ride with them sometimes for fun. If I could only strap into a crop duster a few days a year. That is real flying, I would consider that fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to fly 121, but now they send me money every month to stay away. At least it’s enough to fly my 195 for fun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It still perplexes me today how many professional pilots do not have any desire to fly for fun.  

I used to see that all over the Air Force and now I see it at the airlines; guys who love their job flying, but have no desire to do any additional flying outside that.

Personally, I spend most of my "play money" flying for fun...and doing that helps purge the "FMS babysitter" out of my veins and keeps me from hating my day job.

https://i.imgur.com/RDUI7PM.jpg
View Quote

I've flown with several airline pilots who also played with GA airplanes.  Almost to a person, they were senior guys, who got out before we lost the pensions in bankruptcy, or single or married, with no kids.

For most of the guys I know, it's strictly a cost/benefit thing.  I simply cant afford an airplane that I would consider fun, and anything I can afford would be boring as hell, with zero utility.

A huge percentage of the lost decade generation have realized we wont enjoy the lifestyle of those before, or hopefully after us.  As I stare down my second bankruptcy, probable displacement back to narrow body fo and possibly another five years of career stagnation, honestly toys of any kind are at the bottom of the list.

What's the T-6 burn, 30 or so an hour?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I fly for work (career of 91, 135, 121, 91/135, 91, 121, 91/135, 121) My other responsibilities make it nearly impossible to have the time to go fly. I'd basically need to own an airplane to be able to fly for "fun."
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#28]
787 Captain getting paid to stay home.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What's the T-6 burn, 30 or so an hour?
View Quote

Depends on what you're doing with it.  Mid-20s in cruise, 30+ if you're just staying in the pattern and practicing landings.

But, yeah, she is way more thirsty than a typical GA airplane, but produces more smiles.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Depends on what you're doing with it.  Mid-20s in cruise, 30+ if you're just staying in the pattern and practicing landings.

But, yeah, she is way more thirsty than a typical GA airplane, but produces more smiles.
View Quote

What is 100LL running these days?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I fly for the military and airlines, so I can pay for my fun flying.  I love flying with guys like MudEagle...it's like a breathe of fresh air when I fly with another FO or Captain who love general aviation.  My trips across the Atlantic seem to fly by (no pun intended) as we chat GA.  I love it so much, I'll swing by the airport on my way home from an airline trip and go bounce around a few grass strips in my Cub.  A few days ago I took the GF on a round robin of the state in a 172.  We got lunch (and a pie), flew around the islands on Lake Erie and headed home as the sun was setting...too much fun!  I love the spring/summer/fall when everyone starts hosting their fly-ins...tons of great people and good times.  It's truly a passion and I am thankful that my jobs have afforded me the opportunity to get back into GA.  

I've actually spent a lot of this quarantine searching for land where I could put a house/hangar/pond and a grass strip.  May consider a fly-in community as well...unfortunately, there are not many around there.

Quoted:
View Quote

I paid $3.84 the other day.  Before this madness I was paying high $4.75 to $5.20.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Like most people, I suppose, I daydream the "what would you buy with $X?" game.

Certainly, if I didn't have to work, I'd probably fly as much or more than do now, with the plane depending on resources.

Part of me would like a ME twin like Beech 18 or Shrike Commander to just go bumming around the US.

Part would of course love a warbird. Truly unlimited resources...A Canberra would be my pick, as I think there are no flying Canberras in North America. A B-26 would be cool too. I think Weeks' -26 is probably the closest to airworthy. Same with a A-20. I really like the light-medium bombers of the 1940-1950s.

Something like an Extra or Sukhoi acro bird would be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#33]
@ragingwhite
@mudeagle

I fly with lots of guys who build RV8s, etc or have bush planes in Alaska. I think all of that is cool, and I like hearing about it as we cross the pond, but I have no personal desire to fly GA.

We have had two captains killed flying  a Glass Air type airplane. I don’t know the actual model, but they were out horsing around and wrote a check they could not cash.

I flew DUSTOFF in Afghanistan, and I flew CSAR in the AF. I flew NVGs in the C-23 in Iraq. We were the first Army fixed wing unit to fly with NVGs in combat. I was in the HAATS unit in Colorado, and I have dozens of saves in the mountains of California. I have a drawer full of Sikorsky awards. I have almost bought the farm on several occasions, and I just don’t want to do it anymore.

No hate for those who do. I believe in Liberty!
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Part 135.
It’s not shitty work, it’s just work. Boring as fuck.
Pays well, but I’d take a significant pay cut to sleep in my own bed every night.
Took 5 years off from flying several years ago. Didn’t miss it one single day.
Zero interest in recreational flying.
$$$ is the only way to get me near an aircraft.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:26:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to have a Super Cub or Husky someday, but it's not anywhere near the top of my stack of priorities.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last time I bought (which was about 3 weeks ago) it was just under $4/gallon in west TN.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have had two captains killed flying  a Glass Air type airplane. I don’t know the actual model, but they were out horsing around and wrote a check they could not cash.
View Quote

I hear this refrain often from guys I fly with at the airlines who don't like GA flying.

Yes, it is more risky than 121 flying, but at least in the warbird/sport aviation circles I fly in the vast majority (if not nearly all) fatal accidents are a result of bad airmanship.  All things that could have been 100% avoided with different judgment and decisionmaking.

Personally, I find myself getting more and more conservative and risk-averse with my fun flying as time goes on and I get older. But, I still manage to do a lot of formation flying and aerobatics within that conservative decisionmaking circle. Maybe it is because I've already had a career out turning-and-burning that I don't need to chase that thrill anymore. I find myself more apt to just not fly on a day when it isn't good weather, or there's something odd with the airplane, what have you.  Most importantly, I don't like to fly with other people who are still out trying to chase the thrill.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Yeah.

The British warbird scene was way too cowboy/chase the thrill for my tastes, and when I see stupid accidents that kill pilots and bystanders and destroy irreplaceable aircraft I feel terribly vindicated.

Flying is just inherently dangerous. Some stuff, you can manage with your airmanship, preparation, and judgement. Some stuff, like pandemics, radiation or management, you can't, and too often, its impossible to predict.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
For fun.

Mostly back and forth to ranch.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I love the left seat. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Good God, man. Were you even aware that you had a king crab and an octopus comjng for you in that first pic?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Personal business, family travel all over the country, sometimes for fun.  Just a lifestyle I guess.  I’m 3rd gen, dads a CFII and A&P.  I’ll go ahead and get my commercial and CFI this year, but really just so I can teach my kids - they’ll be there soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/RDUI7PM.jpg
View Quote

Did you fly with “doc” (Morris Ray) while you were in Memphis?  I did some aerobatic training with him, some of it in the Texan.  Fun times.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Did you fly with “doc” (Morris Ray) while you were in Memphis?  I did some aerobatic training with him, some of it in the Texan.  Fun times.
View Quote

Yep, Morris is part of the same group of folks I fly with.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Flying pays the bills (121 and Mil Guard) I would say 121 pays the bills and the guard flying is for fun(and retirement points).
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd be a bum at the CAF I'd we had a chapter near me.  Instead, I build hot rods and guns for fun.  Like seriously, if there was an A-26 nearby like when I was at UPT, I could sleep curled up around an R-2600.  I’d be happy wiping oil.
View Quote

I'm guessing you went to Vance and you're talking about the A-26 that used to be at Woodring?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#48]
I have my commercial multi-engine instrument and seaplane ratings. But I just fly for fun . it was going to be my early midlife crisis career change but they were laying off guys with 3000 hours when I had 900.

I sold my plane in the divorce a couple of decades ago but my friend lets me take his Stearman around the pattern every now and then.

Saturday he took my daughter up for a flight see you and thought it was a thrill!

Stearman take-off into the setting sun....

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:59:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Well, flying 121 (for one of the big four) pays the bills. For now at least. However, judging by my unshaved mug, I currently resemble Santa Claus more than a pilot. Hopefully that'll change sometimes this year again...

I do own a GA plane but that'll get sold as soon as this Corona economy gets better. Why? Because I just don't fly it often enough.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top