Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Just found out our Sr. Deacon is taking a job in England and is leaving next month.
Plan is to have his position filled in with either PM or someone who knows his position.
Next year everyone below him with jump a seat...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not even a MM yet (doing my Fellowcraft degree in 10 days) and they are already hinting about making me Treasurer for next year. We have a small lodge in terms of active members, many people have held office for multiple years or multiple times (or both).

I'll probably do it if asked. I'll be a MM in time to take office, if all goes well. Enjoying the journey and I figure it will be a way to be of service to the Lodge and also to take a first shot at participating in the ceremony of the meetings in a small way.
View Quote
Don't do it.  Seriously, don't.  You're new, you need to be a Mason for a good while before you're a lodge officer.  Particularly Secretary ond Treasurer.  You'll get stuck in that jib and never get out.

Don't do it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't do it.  Seriously, don't.  You're new, you need to be a Mason for a good while before you're a lodge officer.  Particularly Secretary ond Treasurer.  You'll get stuck in that jib and never get out.

Don't do it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am not even a MM yet (doing my Fellowcraft degree in 10 days) and they are already hinting about making me Treasurer for next year. We have a small lodge in terms of active members, many people have held office for multiple years or multiple times (or both).

I'll probably do it if asked. I'll be a MM in time to take office, if all goes well. Enjoying the journey and I figure it will be a way to be of service to the Lodge and also to take a first shot at participating in the ceremony of the meetings in a small way.

Don't do it!
Absolutely spot on.
That job should not be held by anyone who is not a Past Master in my opinion. Those two jobs do not terminate at the end of 1 year.  They terminate when you die.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking I might have to have the flu that day after all the ringing endorsements.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm thinking I might have to have the flu that day after all the ringing endorsements.
View Quote
Be a Mason and be a good one and go to lodge.   Bro... we've been around the block a time or too.  In time, you will appreciate this advice.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Be a Mason and be a good one and go to lodge.   Bro... we've been around the block a time or too.  In time, you will appreciate this advice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do appreciate the advice, and I have been there in other organizations.

"Congratulations"  (you poor s.o.b.)  as you get the job nobody wanted or tried to ditch a.s.a.p.

It's a good lodge, but my buddy who's Treasurer now (and was the guy who kind of brought me in) is definitely ready to give it up.  Being Treasurer, that is, not the lodge.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't do it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't do it!
I agree.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks brothers for all the good advice.  As it turns out I was not nominated, so I have a reprieve at least for this year.

I think I may end up Tiler or Steward when the new WM makes his appointments.  Almost everyone at our business meetings is an officer of some sort (small lodge).
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I tiled this year, but for all but two meetings I actually sat as JD since the JD never comes to lodge.
Next year, I'll move up to SD, then to the south. I've only been JD, Chaplain, and Tyler, in that order.
I've been taking my time since my initiation in 2013, and putting off the elected offices. This year I've been more active in Masonry, in and out of lodge, and even joined the Royal Arch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:59:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WM #153, WA.  
View Quote
I had to look on Grand Lodge to see where that is.

Western Cascade #61
RAM Chapter #42 Enumclaw
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...and even joined the Royal Arch.
View Quote
Outstanding, Companion!
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tiled this year, but for all but two meetings I actually sat as JD since the JD never comes to lodge.
Next year, I'll move up to SD, then to the south. I've only been JD, Chaplain, and Tyler, in that order.
I've been taking my time since my initiation in 2013, and putting off the elected offices. This year I've been more active in Masonry, in and out of lodge, and even joined the Royal Arch.
View Quote
I was raised in 2013 (1 day class) and now I'm in the east.

Really not ready for it. Was sitting n the west last year when the GM had removed (temporarily) our WM.
He didn't want any office this year, he's still bitter for his removal. I really wasn't ready for the west either.

Oh well, I'm in way over my head, and have a MM degree for inspection in April.  Don't think it will go so well.

But that's what you get when you have 120 some odd members, and are lucky to have enough actually show for meetings, to open lodge.

I never missed a Chapter or Council meeting.  Hardly anyone ever showed for those either, and our C&C was merged with others about
a 45 minute drive north of here. Their meeting nights clash with my work schedule.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Really not ready for it. Was sitting n the west last year when the GM had removed (temporarily) our WM.
He didn't want any office this year, he's still bitter for his removal. I really wasn't ready for the west either.

Oh well, I'm in way over my head, and have a MM degree for inspection in April.  Don't think it will go so well.

But that's what you get when you have 120 some odd members, and are lucky to have enough actually show for meetings, to open lodge.

I never missed a Chapter or Council meeting.  Hardly anyone ever showed for those either, and our C&C was merged with others about
a 45 minute drive north of here. Their meeting nights clash with my work schedule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have 100 or so on the books, average 10 or 12 for a business meeting. According to the WM 19 brothers have walked through the lodge door at least once this year. It's always the same guys.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#15]
You guys have a better percentage than me.

I have 450 members  I get 30.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Because of this:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I find that if the officers dont show leadership and make friends with the new guys, they rarely come.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Our stated meeting was Tuesday. There were only 8 of us in attendance.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 1:34:08 AM EDT
[#19]
My MM exam was conducted this morning. I believe there was 13 of us, pretty good turnout for a 9:30AM meeting. Our stated meetings usually seem to have around 30+ in attendance.
To the topic - Next year I'll be on the sidelines continuing to watch and learn.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I got the death sentence.   I'll be secretary.   Which is a position that you die to get out of.

Seriously,  I've been doing the job for the Secretary for 2.5 years for a handful of reasons.   Everyone knew I would be sent there this year.  The stars all needed to line up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got the death sentence.   I'll be secretary.   Which is a position that you die to get out of.

Seriously,  I've been doing the job for the Secretary for 2.5 years for a handful of reasons.   Everyone knew I would be sent there this year.  The stars all needed to line up.
View Quote
The Secretary pretty much runs the lodge... so theres that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Installed in the East last night.

Robert Butler #305

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Sitting in the north as the junior past master.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Installed in the East last night.

Robert Butler #305

View Quote
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I was supposed to be in the East this year but had to decline as I was moving to another state. I was surprised by my brothers reactions, they were kinda pissed that I was leaving, not one person asked why or where I was moving to either.
Oh well, I have been "lodge shopping" in my new area and have found most to be very welcoming, freindly and helpful. The way its supposed to be.

BTW, How do I go about getting my Icon?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Third time through the East, second consecutive term.  We have a lot of young guys coming through, need to slow the line down while they learn to be Masons before leading the Lodge.
View Quote
We started doing two year stints in a chair. Takes a year to really ‘learn’ a chair. Second year it gets done ‘right’ - hopefully. We’re not a busy lodge, but since we’ve started doing this we’ve kept a fresh guy in each seat every other year.

I’m the terminal Treasurer, BTW...
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We started doing two year stints in a chair. Takes a year to really ‘learn’ a chair. Second year it gets done ‘right’ - hopefully. We’re not a busy lodge, but since we’ve started doing this we’ve kept a fresh guy in each seat every other year.

I’m the terminal Treasurer, BTW...
View Quote
That's not a bad idea really.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m a PM from WVa now living in NC. Joined the local Lodge, Stump Sound #733,
in Sneads Ferry last year. The incoming WM asked me to be the Tyler. So there I am,
sword in hand.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Our Senior Warden couldn't make it last night, so the Master had me sit the chair.  I actually remembered it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our Senior Warden couldn't make it last night, so the Master had me sit the chair.  I actually remembered it.
View Quote
Our WM was late so everyone moved up one and they opened without him (small lodge, everyone is friends, he's a young guy and brand new WM, many of our officers are multiple time past masters, so it was kind of a "Welcome to the NFL, rookie" thing. Everyone was laughing, including him (Not that the opening was made a joke of it was legit). It was really funny when he had to ask to be admitted. )
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I will be sitting in the West this year.  Never thought I would get that far.  Next year will be make it or break it for me.  Hubert # 67 Chappell Hill, TX
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I will be sitting in the West this year.  Never thought I would get that far.  Next year will be make it or break it for me.  Hubert # 67 Chappell Hill, TX
View Quote
Congratulations, I'm in the West this year as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Still the treasure for our local lodge. Small town in SE Iowa

I think you are right, you die or in my case the lodge will have to merge because we are out of money next year as we have to many 50 year members who no longer pay dues

Only about 12 dues paying members left.

Only about 2 members show up for meetings.  Problem is the changing scape of farming in the area. My self and the other semi active farmer are the two that show up.  Farms are now 10 to 20 times larger than in the 1940's to 1990's and farming is much more efficient now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#36]
As of Noon this Saturday (29th) I'm being installed as Jr. Deacon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As of Noon this Saturday (29th) I'm being installed as Jr. Deacon.
View Quote
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I think you are right, you die or in my case the lodge will have to merge because we are out of money next year as we have to many 50 year members who no longer pay dues

Only about 2 members show up for meetings.  Problem is the changing scape of farming in the area. My self and the other semi active farmer are the two that show up.  Farms are now 10 to 20 times larger than in the 1940's to 1990's and farming is much more efficient now.
View Quote
50 year members have to be encouraged to pay something.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 2:06:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
My lodge is pretty lucky with finances.

We have the same 10-15 guys show up every month for the business meeting, but we have right around 100 brothers who pay dues every year. Whoever bought our lodge back in the day was smart, because we have an apartment and some retail space attached that we rent out to cover expenses.

Also we absorbed another lodge 10 or so years ago and sold their building, so we're pretty healthy.  Bank balances stay about the same from year to year even with expenses, building maintenance, etc.

We do a few fundraisers every year and we give some money and other items away every year too. Nothing even close to the Shriners though. Those guys are fundraising machines.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cycling out from 2 consecutive years as WM to Chaplain (three total).  First time since 2007 I have not held a line officer position in this lodge.
View Quote
Congratulations. I have jumped into the fire and will we Senior Deacon this coming year.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#42]
NEVER, EVER miss a meeting!

Last month I had a lithotripsy on the day of lodge.  Elections where that night.  Our current Junior Warden had to step out of the line because he went back to school.

Fast forward to the next meeting.  I learn that they’ve jumped the Senior Deacon to Senior Warden.  Okay, a big jump.  He’s a smart kid, if we guide him along he’ll do fine.  The Junior Deacon they were going to jump to Junior Warden.  But since he’s never gotten an opening or closing 100% correct they decided not to.  He agreed.   So, we then had the Junior Warden’s chair unoccupied for next year.

I do have to give them credit for creativity.  “What do you mean you elected the Past Masters as Junior Warden?  You can’t elect a group.  It’s just a guy.  One guy.  Not 30 some guys.  What are you going to put on the election report, 30 names?”  The Master looks at the Secretary.  The Secretary looks at me and said, “Ah shit.  You’re right.”

At this point all the PM’s are checking the shine on their shoes.  Me and my big f’ing mouth.  I’m going on the report and the PM’s are going to rotate.  It’s in the minutes that I WILL NOT ADVANCE!  And, I can punch anyone that suggests it in the mouth without Masonic charges.

NEVER, EVER miss a meeting!
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Jr. Deacon, I've been a Mason for 1 year only, looking forward to it. Also finishing up my Royal Arch degree on the 4th next month, looking forward to many more into commandry and then Shriners.

Ashlar #91 Detroit, MI in the Masonic Temple
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Sitting outside the door..
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Jr. Deacon, I've been a Mason for 1 year only, looking forward to it. Also finishing up my Royal Arch degree on the 4th next month, looking forward to many more into commandry and then Shriners.

View Quote
Where do you find the time?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Congrats, Brother.  The hardest I ever worked was in the South.  Be sure to sit in the East for some degrees of you can so that you can learn the Work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You make the time.
I have a full time 55 hour a week job and I make almost every meeting and extra meeting.
I'm active in the Scottish Rite and Shrine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Three of the Green Bay lodges were installed last night. I’m the jolly old elf in the middle. The MWGM is on my right.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#49]
I was installed as Worshipful Master this December. I get to be the Master of my Lodge while bringing in the new decade.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Congratulations Bro_Steve.  I am sure that you are quite deserving of the honor.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top