Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2021 4:43:13 PM EDT
Went out to move my jeep this morning... click click brrrr...

I'm going with the battery being deceased as it's a 2015.

Going rate for a battery is $150 - $250????

Have they jumped that much in the last few years? Best place to check for a replacement?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Costco sells Interstate batteries. I got a group 24 for my Tundra for ~$90.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like they are all chinese made now, Advance use to have a house brand but all they sell now is Duracell and I believe they are made in china,, the chinese have perfected making them cheap & last 1 day more than the warranty
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Get an Optima yellow top.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I just checked my last order and todays price and they are only $3 higher than 2019.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Have they jumped that much in the last few years? Best place to check for a replacement?
View Quote

I paid over $300 for a Odyssey battery for my Jeep last fall.

And because lead is barely mined and mostly recycled now, you got to pay for that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. Get a Odyssey.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Walmart basic batteries are still around $50.  $100 for a decent one with 5 year warranty.

Costco batteries are mostly $90-$100.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Check the manufacture most batteries are made by Johnson controls and a few other places these days.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Really depends on the type of car / type of battery. I usually do Bosch - current battery is 8 years old and still going strong.
Yes I'm cheap. Driving a older car but it already has a stereo cassette player :-)

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the battery.  

My 2017 F150 has an AGM from the factory, supposedly due to the auto-start/stop features being too hard on regular lead-acid ones.  Replacement price can be double or more as a result.

But fear not...all that extra fuel I theoretically wasn’t burning at stoplights will offset the price of that silliness...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#11]
No more lead mining allowed in the US may have something to do with this.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
can get most batteries at farm and Fleet for around $100
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is still a major mine in Missouri.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Toyota dealer recently put a new battery in my car for $165 installed. They are out there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My mistake, no more lead SMELTERS in the US.   EPA closed the last one in December 2013 or so.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Seems like they are all chinese made now, Advance use to have a house brand but all they sell now is Duracell and I believe they are made in china,, the chinese have perfected making them cheap & last 1 day more than the warranty
View Quote

Actually the majority are still made in the US. Likely of “global materials” though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Welcome to the hidden tax of inflation.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Just ran into this last week replacing the battery in my VW. $189 out the door
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Walmart basic batteries are still around $50.  $100 for a decent one with 5 year warranty.

Costco batteries are mostly $90-$100.
View Quote

the walmart 5 yr warranty have a 3 yr replacement guaranty. which is better than Advance or Autozone warranties for cheaper $$

B
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#20]
So when did batteries become $200???
View Quote

The correct question you should be is asking is:  

When did US based lead smelting plants stop due to EPA restrictions?

That isn't a trick question, but just in case the question made you curious and you were wondering, it was during bill clintons' term.

https://www.epa.gov/lead/lead-regulations
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Walmart is the way

Easily under $100 and a replacement guarantee...... there probably made in the same place as the more expensive ones anyway
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember a battery in my Toyota lasting well over 5 years and costing about $85.  The Crosstrek original battery died after 3 years and cost $140.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Walmart is the answer. I just bought 2 from them for my truck. $75 each or $200 each if I bought them from the parts house. Same cca and warranty.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Walmart.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Walmart is the answer. I just bought 2 from them for my truck. $75 each or $200 each if I bought them from the parts house. Same cca and warranty.
View Quote

I wish I had done that the last time I needed one.  The Crosstrek died at the grocery store, no one around to get a battery jump from, so roadside assistance came by and got it going.  I stupidly went to Oreilly's since it was a block away.  I should have gone ahead and headed to WM and saved a buck o' five.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Appreciated... a call to walmart tomorrow is in order I guess.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where are you shopping?  Go to Costco. Paid 68 for a new one in the 4Runner last year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I have over 300 in my truck battery. 5 year full replacement warranty though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
10+ years ago I'd agree. But now they're made in Mexico and they're not a top-shelf battery anymore.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Deka/East Penn.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No. Get a Odyssey.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Bought the batteries for my truck and camper from Walmart. Price was reasonable and wherever you are, there's a Walmart nearby for warranty/replacement.

Was going to go Interstate, but their dealer network isn't anywhere near as large so replacement could be a PITA on a camping trip.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
10+ years ago I'd agree. But now they're made in Mexico and they're not a top-shelf battery anymore.
View Quote

Too each their own.  They've serve me well for many years.  I take care of my batteries too though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Guy had his buddy trailer his car in for a flat tire. Left the left parking lamps on and killed the battery. You think $200 is bad...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LI-ION-MERCEDES-AMG-GT-CLASS-STARTER-Battery-000-982-7710-LIB-DEALER-/324164251259
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Something to be aware of when buying auto batteries and especially when buying them from Walmart, check the date of manufacture. A lead acid battery life clock starts the moment acid is put in it. I’ve seen batteries on the shelf in the store that are 4 years old. That battery is nearly gone and it hasn’t even been in a car yet. A few month old battery is fine to purchase but I would not buy one that is more than 6 months old. Normally I buy them with a one month old date. Yes your warranty is good for the rated term (assuming you can prove date of purchase) but the battery will still die early.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No. Get a Odyssey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Get a Odyssey.

Came to post this
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not inflation. We still install regular batteries for $135 here at my dealer. Now AGM batteries are a different story. They are $250 for the battery alone and out NSX battery is $400.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I think I payed that much for my napa battery 4 years ago and its still kicking in a vehicle that doesnt move but 3 times a year.
I have a continental battery in my 04 crown vic thats been in there from 05.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Guy had his buddy trailer his car in for a flat tire. Left the left parking lamps on and killed the battery. You think $200 is bad...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LI-ION-MERCEDES-AMG-GT-CLASS-STARTER-Battery-000-982-7710-LIB-DEALER-/324164251259
View Quote

Damn. That makes out NSX battery look cheap.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Deka/East Penn.
View Quote

In a class of their own.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Where are you shopping?  Go to Costco. Paid 68 for a new one in the 4Runner last year.
View Quote

Napa, autozone, o'Reilly, quadratec, the other car place I cant currently remember...
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:Too each their own.  They've serve me well for many years.  I take care of my batteries too though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Too each their own.  They've serve me well for many years.  I take care of my batteries too though.
In 2004 I put dual red tops in a K3500 GMC. They lasted 9 years.  I replaced them with yellow tops in 2013. Those things were junk and didn't last 2 years.  I replaced the yellow tops with DieHard Platinums (rebranded Odyssey) and they're still going strong.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 years ago, I swore by Optima batteries.  That was when they were made in Colorado.  Then their manufacturing moved to Mexico.  My experience with the quality of Optima batteries became really sour.  They leak.  They vent acidic gas and corrode the terminals.  So no more.   I used to swear by them, now I swear at them.  

My truck takes two batteries; group 27.  It's time again and I am looking at $700 plus tax for AGM batteries that won't crap out on me 100 miles from noplace.  OP is looking at $200.  Wish I had that problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#44]
The Panasonic battery in my FJ from the factory (Japan) lasted 8 years. From 08 to 16.

It was still working when I replaced it. I only replaced it because I wanted an Odyssey battery when I installed the winch before a trip to Moab.

The Odyssey was 280ish dollars and is still going strong.

I tried to find that exact Panasonic battery because it had served so well but I found the only way to get them was shipped from Japan in a new Toyota lol.

But I'm not complaining. I've had the truck for 13 years and 215k miles and only replaced the battery once.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Whenever I see dead batteries I snag rm and save them up. Take them to auto zone and get a credit. Last time I paid 60 for a 180 battery
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I bought a Walmart battery for my wife Nissan Xterra back in 2012. It just took a dump a few months ago. Can't complain about getting 8ish years out of a $60 battery.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

15 years ago, I swore by Optima batteries.  That was when they were made in Colorado.  Then their manufacturing moved to Mexico.  My experience with the quality of Optima batteries became really sour.  They leak.  They vent acidic gas and corrode the terminals.  So no more.   I used to swear by them, now I swear at them.  

My truck takes two batteries; group 27.  It's time again and I am looking at $700 plus tax for AGM batteries that won't crap out on me 100 miles from noplace.  OP is looking at $200.  Wish I had that problem.
View Quote

Make friends with a used car lot owner, and find out where they buy their production over-run and blemish batteries.

In Amarillo, TX it is Grand Battery And Electric.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Make friends with a used car lot owner, and find out where they buy their production over-run and blemish batteries.

View Quote

Missoula, MT it's the cement building by the rail yard. If it won't start the car bring it back and they'll swap it out. Better be the same day though, they have a 30-ish minute warranty.

Seriously though, don't do that. We did it for every used car and they were not good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Missoula, MT it's the cement building by the rail yard. If it won't start the car bring it back and they'll swap it out. Better be the same day though, they have a 30-ish minute warranty.

Seriously though, don't do that. We did it for every used car and they were not good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been using them for 10 years and never had an issue.  This includes the cars that Dad moved through his small curbstone lot, and our prersonal vehicles.  Running one right now that has been in the truck since before I bought it in 2016.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Check the dealer for a battery costs.

Batteries are a loss leader for us. We charge $130 for a standard battery and $300 for an agm. Honda replacement batteries with a 60m warranty installed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top