Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2022 3:20:41 PM EDT
I've tried and tried to taste the stuff I see in cigar reviews on YouTube. I can't. I do know however when I like/love, am ambivalent, or even dislike a cigar.

My list of cigars I love.

1) Gispert Intenso
2) JFR Lunitic
3) La Perla 1515
4) Caldwell Blind Mans Bluff
5) Rocky Patel Sun grown maduro, and many others!
6) Alec & Bradley Tempus Nicaragua Quadrum
7) Diesel Wicked
8) Liga Privada Flying Pig
9) Foundations wiseman and Tabernacle.
10) Oliva Master Bleds III
11) A.J. Fernandez New World
12) My Father La Flor De los Antilles
13) AVO Syncro Nicaragua
14) La Aurora Preferidos

this is my list off the top of my head, and I can only tell you I really like them a lot. I'm sure there are many others I have missed or forgotten about, many I haven't tried, and will someday hopefully try.

Today I decided to open nearly 2 years of cigars from the Privada cigar club. I look forward to each one of them.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to post a link to the video I referred to.

Why I smoke cigars
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I can generally describe whether it’s light, medium, or full “bodied”, how tight or loose the draw is, and whether it’s particularly smoky (volume not flavor) or not.

But “hitting notes of black cherry, leather, and chocolate” makes me roll my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can generally describe whether it’s light, medium, or full “bodied”, how tight or loose the draw is, and whether it’s particularly smoky (volume not flavor) or not.

But “hitting notes of black cherry, leather, and chocolate” makes me roll my eyes.
View Quote

Yep and I may have acted like slick willy before
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 9:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I can tell if I like it or not. I think those with a "developed palate" who claim to taste "white pepper with notes of cedar, finished with charred oak, cocoa, and goat cheese" are full of shit. Sure, coffee and dark chocolate tones, I can sort of see that, but some of that shit is just silly. In lighter cigars I can often taste something like hay or a grassy taste. Unless they are actually beavers who go around licking various trees, some of the descriptions cigar reviewers give are just silly. Its tobacco and it tastes like tobacco.

I have my favorites and I tend to like something that favors the medium to heavy side of things, and I consider maduro a plus. Light and mild sticks are okay, but I want to taste stuff. Of course a cigar can be too heavy, or rather can get to be too much, but I'd rather know my limits and quit 2/3 through a heavyweight than feel like I was smoking a bundle of straw for an hour. I prefer a draw on the looser side of things, but some resistance is desirable.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Cold drawing on a cigar before lighting it can often reveal some very specific notes of flavor.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I can easily tell the cigar's origin by smoking it; however, rarely can I come up with a fancy flavor profile though, like the "tasting notes" claimed by reviewers or companies.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn’t vote because I fall into a few of those categories. I spend a lot of cigars and love the very high end and also love to get good deals on cigars.  I also think tasting notes *can* be complete bs but I can also get fleeting notes of what is described. Generally the earthy, coffee, chocolate, graham cracker, and pepper notes is what I can get on my best day.  I’m also a whiskey guy and can appreciate trying to articulate flavors and how to best enjoy.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've smoked everyday for 28 years, even when I had bronchitis, so I like what I like and it's strong, full bodied cigars like La Flor Dominican Double Ligero Diggers and D-700s and CAO Flathead 770s.

If I could distill them down into an IV drip, I might go that route.

No Miller High Life for me.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never get the crazy tastes the “experts” come up with…same for bourbon, Scotch, etc.
View Quote

CAO Nicacaraguan and American are my current favorites with a good aged rum or Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Gurkha Ghosts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I didn't vote because I fall into a few of those categories. I spend a lot of cigars and love the very high end and also love to get good deals on cigars.  I also think tasting notes *can* be complete bs but I can also get fleeting notes of what is described. Generally the earthy, coffee, chocolate, graham cracker, and pepper notes is what I can get on my best day.  I'm also a whiskey guy and can appreciate trying to articulate flavors and how to best enjoy.  

View Quote
It's a multi choice pole.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I smoke mainly cheap cigars.

But I can somewhat tell you taste and the boldness.

As others have said I do not get the (hint of this or that).

Have smoked some really ugly looking and smelling cigars.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 1:13:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I smoke just about anything I have just about everything in my humidor from cheap general grant to davidoff and everything in between. Each one has it's time and place to be smoked.
Link Posted: 8/29/2022 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I tend to like medium to expensive cigars. You can develop your palate to taste the various notes. I had to take an intensive wine course once and since have been able to use that process with cigars and spirits. I used to keep a journal with tasting notes. I'd revisit a cigar months later and compare to see how they matched up. One of my go to cigars is the Fuente Don Carlos Double Robusto. I get a flavour profile of coffee, leather, and a hint of cedar.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:07:52 AM EDT
[#17]
If I had to settle with a single brand for my daily smokes, it would be Tatuaje. For special occasions, I gravitate to one stick: Padron 80th 1926 maduro.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I like it or not to varying degrees.  I've tried to find the notes that are supposed to be there but not usually successfully.  Some of the more obvious ones I can detect though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can generally describe whether it's light, medium, or full "bodied", how tight or loose the draw is, and whether it's particularly smoky (volume not flavor) or not.

But "hitting notes of black cherry, leather, and chocolate" makes me roll my eyes.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm interested to hear what you think of the Privada cigars as you smoke through them.  I've been a member for a little over a year and I try to smoke through them as I get them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I definitely prefer more expensive cigars but my daily smoke is Rocky Patel The Edge Connecticut Torpedoes.  
They're only $10 a pop.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I can easily tell you if I like it or not,  but I have fun trying to pick out nuance. Like a fun little game of "what does this remind me of?" I like medium to full-bodied sticks with spiciness and pepper. I can detect obviously pepper, earthiness, dark chocolate, coffee, leather, nutiness, grassiness, floral notes, fruity notes (which fruit idk, just sweet fruitiness), seems all cigars are some amalgamation of those notes,  give or take.

I can talk about the texture of the smoke,  for example last night's Ramone Allones by AJF had a "chewy" and "meaty/savory" texture, as in it felt like I had something substantial in my mouth.

Beyond that it's not really "what it tastes like" but more of "what does it remind me of?" Again, going back to last night, the first half of the Ramone Allones reminded me of a rich chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting that I had at some point in the past. I would not expect someone else to be reminded of the same thing since we all have our own story. I think most people take tasting notes a little too literally. That said,  tasting notes is part of marketing and I agree some of them are quite

Most the time I like to try and dissect the cigar,  to me it is part of the experience. Of course sometimes you just want to turn your brain off and not have to think about it which is OK too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can easily tell you if I like it or not,  but I have fun trying to pick out nuance. Like a fun little game of "what does this remind me of?" I like medium to full-bodied sticks with spiciness and pepper. I can detect obviously pepper, earthiness, dark chocolate, coffee, leather, nutiness, grassiness, floral notes, fruity notes (which fruit idk, just sweet fruitiness), seems all cigars are some amalgamation of those notes,  give or take.

I can talk about the texture of the smoke,  for example last night's Ramone Allones by AJF had a "chewy" and "meaty/savory" texture, as in it felt like I had something substantial in my mouth.

Beyond that it's not really "what it tastes like" but more of "what does it remind me of?" Again, going back to last night, the first half of the Ramone Allones reminded me of a rich chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting that I had at some point in the past. I would not expect someone else to be reminded of the same thing since we all have our own story. I think most people take tasting notes a little too literally. That said,  tasting notes is part of marketing and I agree some of them are quite

Most the time I like to try and dissect the cigar,  to me it is part of the experience.{red} Of course sometimes you just want to turn your brain off and not have to think about it which is OK too.opps
View Quote
opps
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Of course sometimes you just want to turn your brain off and not have to think about it which is OK too.
View Quote
That's how I feel a lot of the time, I just want to know what I'm smoking is something I am really enjoying, if not, why am I still smoking it? If I'm not enjoying the smoke, it's a negative impact on my mind/tastebuds. I don't have to understand why I like a certain cigar, or I don't, just that I'm enjoying it for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's how I feel a lot of the time, I just want to know what I'm smoking is something I am really enjoying, if not, why am I still smoking it? If I'm not enjoying the smoke, it's a negative impact on my mind/tastebuds. I don't have to understand why I like a certain cigar, or I don't, just that I'm enjoying it for what it is.
View Quote

If i'm really not enjoying a cigar I'll put it out. That can take a while, seeing as I usually give it a pretty generous chance to change. But I agree, why would I smoke a cigar I don't enjoy? I wouldn't. I'd put it out and grab a Partagas Black Label. Or any other go-to in my humidor.

When I shop for cigars I just ask what they have that is full bodied. I get a few regulars, then I pick up a few sticks the tobacconist recommends or some random sticks that catch my eye. I don't look for particular flavor profiles other than full-bodied. Then I decide if I like it when I smoke it. While I smoke it, I pick it apart, if I can. I can still pick apart a cigar I don't enjoy. And just because it is full bodied doesn't automatically mean I'm going to enjoy it.

Even cigars with similar flavor profiles, I could like one but not the other. So when I pick one apart I'm not really looking for specific flavors, just trying to interpret what the smoke is like. And you know what? Sometimes I can't, and I dont care.  Because I like the cigar.  

Sorry to be long winded.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
opps
View Quote

I mean it still tastes like tobacco...

But just an example: the Ramon Allones by AJF had a lot of pepper (which just means it was spicy. I wouldnt say "oh, its crushed red pepper) and "savoriness" to it, and at one point I got a brief aftertaste of clove which reminded me of a jelly bean.

The Rocky Patel Decade Cameroon had none of that, it just had a lot of caramel the whole way through.

But they both still taste like tobacco.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is pretty much the same for me. I tend to prefer darker cigards, maduro, double maduro, oscuro. For some reason, smelling a fresh dark cigar reminds me of Latin pussy from my youth, not sure I've heard that "flavor note" before

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 7:59:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I figure what's the point of smoking a cigar if you're not going to enjoy the best pleasures of their offerings.  Spend the money on quality.  You only live once.
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
All the different flavors some reviewers describe make me roll my eyes.

I mean, does the cigar actually contain leather? Chocolate? Almonds? Coconut?

I can see cedar, as many are stored/shipped in cedar boxes.

But if they don't actually contain any of the things that would provide the tastes which they're describing, and it's not a "flavored" cigar, in my mind, they're either imagining, or bullshitting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I get the chocolate and coffee flavors. When I'm smoking something by Drew Estate. Very rarely with I get something that isnt tobacco. I do get the spicy pepperiness often though. Definitely a capsaicin like tingle on the lips, but nothing flavor wise.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I wont touch anything without a dark wrapper on it

I tried to many without and just didn't like them.

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wont touch anything without a dark wrapper on it

I tried to many without and just didn't like them.

View Quote

Im not a fan of Connecticuts. Smells and tastes like burnt hay to me.

But the Zino Platinum is nice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I’m a newbie, but I can tell 2 things- I screwed up lighting the First 2-didn’t toast properly before lighting, and smoked them too fast.  They got hot and tasted like an ashtray.  The last one I smoke was cool and tasted slightly different in the middle than beginning and was a lot more pleasurable.  I wouldn’t call it notes like drinking wine though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top