Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2021 9:33:40 PM EDT
I've been exercising and lifting weights for about the last two years regularly.  I feel like I've hit a wall in regards to the max weights I can lift.  Any suggestions on the best approach for the years 45 to 50 to stay strong and in shape.

Currently 5'9" 175lb. Decent muscle tone, bit a little old man flab as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yepper I do!

Keep your muscles in tone by weight training

in a aerobic atmosphere with low weights and running.

No need to bust muscles up at 45.

Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you doing now?  45 is nowhere close to being too old to lift heavy weights.  Have you lifted your whole life and just turned it on the last few years or did you really start from scratch two years ago?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Not much changes between 25 and 45 except maybe a little longer recovery time, possibly a few injuries you have to work around.

I have developed a bias towards intensity vs volume as I can recover from it a lot faster.  Lighter weights and higher reps is ineffective at building muscle or burning fat, more likely an older guy would just get some 'itis. Shitty form can mess you up regardless so just don't do that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated above, lift for intensity vs volume.  Heavy but focus on form.

And TRT.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And TRT.
View Quote

^This.  Go slowwwwwww.  Focus on feeling the muscles working.  I'm 58 and getting the best workouts of my life. I finally learned to concentrate on working my muscles instead of how many plates are on the bar.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What are you doing now?  45 is nowhere close to being too old to lift heavy weights.  Have you lifted your whole life and just turned it on the last few years or did you really start from scratch two years ago?
View Quote

This.

Exercises, sets, reps, and weights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And TRT.
View Quote

I suppose some people are different, but this has been my experience. I can't do the volume I used to be able to, but I can still lift heavy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been exercising and lifting weights for about the last two years regularly.  I feel like I've hit a wall in regards to the max weights I can lift.  Any suggestions on the best approach for the years 45 to 50 to stay strong and in shape.

Currently 5'9" 175lb. Decent muscle tone, bit a little old man flab as well.
View Quote

Pretty much impossible to recommend changes when you don't tell us what you've been doing...
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Go on a lean bulk cycle.  Try to add 10-15lbs over the next 4-6 months.  You’ll probably be much stronger at 190.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Try changing your routine.

If you've been on a primarily strength routine, try switching to a hypertrophy program- increased muscle mass makes you stronger.

If you've been on a hypertrophy program, switch to a strength program.  Stronger = more reps/time under tension =  incased muscle mass
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were looking to increase max lifts I would try Starting Strength, Barbell Prescription, or 5/3/1 programs.

For all the hate Crossfit get it has worked good for me.  We have a good strength program to go along with the metcon and I am happy with the results.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top