Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2022 4:26:24 PM EDT
I closed today on a 1965 Cessna P206.  4500 hours total time and just under 600 on the engine.  It has six seats and useful load that will allow me to fill them. Looking forward to many adventures in it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I grew up with a 206...GREAT plane...my dad was a pilot in WW2 and LOVED his 206...We also had a 172, 182 and a Bonanza regular tail not V tail. Congrats! You will love it...Makes a great float plane as well
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]

CONGRATULATIONS!  Looks like a ton of fun.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
182's big brother!  good choice
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]
206 is in my top 5 favorites.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Very cool and congrats.   Aerial movement is so cool to me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a few hours in those but almost 500 in the 207. They’re great airplanes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Flying SUV!

Congratulations
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn. That'll be a lot of fun. I've never flown a 206. Got a bunch of time in it's stretched out brother, the 207. I always thought a 207 would've been a fun plane for a family of four. But every one I ever saw in Trade-a-plane was worn ragged and expensive as hell. 206 oughta be a lot more practical.

Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice.
I miss my 210.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice!
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flying SUV!

Congratulations
View Quote

That's pretty much what I was going for.  I am a new pilot.  Having trained in a 172 I think this will be a relatively easy transition.  I am at 45 hours and just need 5 hour of solo cross country time and a check ride to finish my private pilot. I have three kids and want to be able to load up the family and go on trips.  With a 1500 lb useful load, that should work fine.  Planning to roll right into instrument training with the goal of finishing it by the end of the year.

The 206 is in the shop getting some repairs that were agreed as part of the sale, and it should be ready with a fresh annual around the first of next month.  I will report back on further developments.

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I know nothing about planes that I don’t read about on here. Is there any concern with the age of the plane?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know nothing about planes that I don’t read about on here. Is there any concern with the age of the plane?
View Quote

There are many here with much more knowledge and experience in aviation that me, but it was not a concern for me.  The received wisdom is that you can keep an airplane flying indefinitely, but the key is maintenance.  The airplane came with complete airframe logs from the day it was first sold and a complete engine log since a rebuilt engine was installed in 1998.  I paid for an independent shop to do a comprehensive pre-buy inspection, and I hired a consulting company to assist me with managing that process and analyzing the results. We did bore scope photos of the engine cylinders, checked the compression, had an oil sample analyzed, and basically went over the airplane with a detailed check list.  I also flew it with a certified instructor who has a bunch of hours in type.

It is also interesting that while newer 206's are turbo powered and can fly faster and higher, the older ones have a significantly larger useful load.  The new ones are also way beyond my means to purchase.  This one was a stretch, but you only live once. This video offers a nice analysis of new versus old.

Get an older, 1974 Cessna 206 or New?

Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's pretty much what I was going for.  I am a new pilot.  Having trained in a 172 I think this will be a relatively easy transition.  I am at 45 hours and just need 5 hour of solo cross country time and a check ride to finish my private pilot. I have three kids and want to be able to load up the family and go on trips.  With a 1500 lb useful load, that should work fine.  Planning to roll right into instrument training with the goal of finishing it by the end of the year.

The 206 is in the shop getting some repairs that were agreed as part of the sale, and it should be ready with a fresh annual around the first of next month.  I will report back on further developments.

View Quote

Congrats!!  You're living my dream!  I have 3 kids also and eventually want an SUV of the sky to haul everybody around.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all.  Airplanes are maintained veeeery differently than cars.  Obviously a good pre buy inspection is key…as my good friend just learned….130k in engines on a twin.  I was like Chris Farley screaming “get a pre buy”
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats.

My dad and I, with my wife, flew a 210 nonstop from Addison to a small airfield in Columbus, Bolton airfield iirc.

Nice ride. Does yours have autopilot?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#20]
What does the pre buy inspection cost on something like this? It sounds extremely in depth (at least in comparison to a car).
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Congrats.

My dad and I, with my wife, flew a 210 nonstop from Addison to a small airfield in Columbus, Bolton airfield iirc.

Nice ride. Does yours have autopilot?
View Quote

It has a Century II autopilot, and it works.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What does the pre buy inspection cost on something like this? It sounds extremely in depth (at least in comparison to a car).
View Quote

I spent about $1800 on the pre buy inspection.  After closing, the shop credited that amount toward a fresh annual inspection, which was due in May anyway.

I hired Savvy Aviation to manage the pre buy.  We used their check list.  That was another $750, which was money well spent.

Airplanes make shooting seem like a cheap endeavor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is the panel for anyone who is interested.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37013/panel_redacted_jpg-2352397.JPG
View Quote
I'd use that.  Relatively clean, bold colors except airspeed, no stickers all over.  I think you have a winner.

No altitude hold?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice!  I like it OP
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Co Pilot Check List:

Don't touch anything

Keep your mouth shut
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#28]
@MikeDeltaFoxtrot- given your low number of hours and (soon!) fresh Private Pilot rating, what kind of restrictions did the insurance company saddle you with?

I bought into a 210 when I had 300 hours and a year-old IFR ticket; I had to do 10 hours with a CFI in the plane before they would insure me in all six seats.

Regarding your panel, I assume #1 has a glide slope receiver (couldn't tell from the pic)?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
@MikeDeltaFoxtrot- given your low number of hours and (soon!) fresh Private Pilot rating, what kind of restrictions did the insurance company saddle you with?

I bought into a 210 when I had 300 hours and a year-old IFR ticket; I had to do 10 hours with a CFI in the plane before they would insure me in all six seats.

Regarding your panel, I assume #1 has a glide slope receiver (couldn't tell from the pic)?
View Quote

Insurance was stupid expensive for the first year.  I am not supposed to fly the plane solo until I have 15 hours in the plane with a CFI who has 1) 1000 total PIC hours, 2) 25 hours in type, 3) age 25-65, and 4) no accidents or incidents in the last five years.  I have someone lined up for that training.  The policy also won't provide bodily injury coverage for pax until I have a total of 40 hours in the plane.

COM/NAV 1 is an Avidyne ID-550.  The plane is IFR certified.  I have not had IFR training, but I believe the answer is yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Insurance was stupid expensive for the first year.  I am not supposed to fly the plane solo until I have 15 hours in the plane with a CFI who has 1) 1000 total PIC hours, 2) 25 hours in type, 3) age 25-65, and 4) no accidents or incidents in the last five years.  I have someone lined up for that training.  The policy also won't provide bodily injury coverage for pax until I have a total of 40 hours in the plane.

COM/NAV 1 is an Avidyne ID-550.  The plane is IFR certified.  I have not had IFR training, but I believe the answer is yes.
View Quote

Yeah I was curious about the insurance too.

I looked at a PA32R last year and the insurance was crazy because six seats and I don't have any complex time.  Everyone on a Piper forum said that I should load it to gross max with a CFI (and the insurance actually required that), because it drops like a rock when power is pulled.

I have never been in a 206, but have some time in a 182R and I wouldn't say it drops like a rock (it glides pretty well), but it is heavier than an Archer/172 and when slow it is easy to get behind.

You got a great airplane there.  *That* is an airplane that you and a family can do something with.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Nice plane.

You will be utilizing the pitch trim much more than in a 172.

Remember to reset it before taking off from a touch and go or you will have your hands full.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nice plane.

You will be utilizing the pitch trim much more than in a 172.

Remember to reset it before taking off from a touch and go or you will have your hands full.
View Quote

Understatement of the day there. I found out the hard way, the first time I did a T&G in a 206.

Oh yeah- a 206 on floats is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on- unless the flaps quit working, then all you have is the fastest boat on the lake.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Nice.  I flew a 206 for the government that they confiscated from a cartel deal. Was a load hauler and great handling plane.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I finally got to fly the 206 this week.  I was not disappointed, but I also need more transition training.  It is definitely not a 172.  You really feel the 285HP on takeoff, and landing is different.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I finally got to fly the 206 this week.  I was not disappointed, but I also need more transition training.  It is definitely not a 172.  You really feel the 285HP on takeoff, and landing is different.
View Quote

Right rudder!  Right rudder! Right rudder!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:59:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't until I moved up to single engine aircraft with actual horsepower did I really learn coordinated flight.  The only time I really used rudder in the 152 was taxiing and maybe slipping in some landings.  Little bit with stalls but even then.

Jumped into a T182, whoa!  Wtf is this?!  Now I get it
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the ashtray on the door.Do new planes even have them now?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is absolutely correct.  The left turning tendencies are much more pronounced on takeoff, and it feels like a rocket once the throttle is to the firewall.  I now understand why high performance endorsements are a thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:00:28 PM EDT
[#41]
You will love it!
I have a ‘65 182 I have owned for 14 years. It has been a wonderful airplane for me and the family.

Personally I like the pre-‘70s bigger Cessnas. They are lighter and will haul just as much or more than the later models.
Remember big bore Continentals require more leaning than the smaller Lycomings and they hate sitting around.

Nice 206!
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

06 model jets still have ash trays
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]
In early 1982, the shop I was working at took on a 206 project. We repaired the one that was flipped by the wind using parts from one that was a DEA confiscated one that had been stripped firewall forward and no panel our data plate. FAA PMI who wandered in took intense interest in our project. We think he was hoping he could violate someone for swapping data plate onto the parts carcass. IIRC there were 9 Form 337s for repairs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#44]
OP,,,Get some Carbon Monoxide detectors and hang then on the dash. Check the ELT. Watch dropping flaps in a short fast steep final. I flew a 182 and a 210 for a long many years with my family on board. Let the wife unit manipulate the controls a LOT. Let her read the checklist to you EVERY time. UTILIZE her. Get her on the radio asap. You're flying your entire being every time you blast off. NEVER SCUD RUN. NEVER NEVER NEVER. Stay home to fly again another day. Nice bird.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Thats a real beauty.
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Airplanes make shooting seem like a cheap endeavor.
View Quote

Lol.

The only hobby more expensive than airplanes is helicopters!
Link Posted: 6/15/2022 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:  Lol.

The only hobby more expensive than airplanes is helicopters!
View Quote

Myself, I have an interest in women.  It's maybe more than a hobby now, I married one.  Not too expensive yet, but some guys spend half their income and their house on em!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top