Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2020 9:59:08 AM EDT
luckily ive been able to keep my job and work from home during the beer flu panic. Like everyone else ive been bored out of my mind in the evenings and I cant go anywhere because nazi stay at home orders.

So I started listening to alot more podcasts. I found the Cliff and Bobo bigfeets podcast. They had a 2 part episode with some lady, I think her name was Bea Mills?
Anyway both episodes were 90% related to audio recordings, they talked about some of the recorders and I found out they were pretty much off the shelf recorders and not some thousand dollar audio equipment.

so I was like... i'm in.

Off to amazon I go and got a recorder. The one I got was actually pretty sweet, can record some impressive bitrate audio and has the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the internal/external mic's. Already had a 16gb micro SD card. I'm in business.

I also happened to have some high end microphone elements.
I took an old speaker cable and soldered on the microphone element and built a waterproof housing for the recorder and a boom for the mic out of some pvc and camo'd it up.

I tested it out on the deck and the audio recording of the birds chirping in the distance is actually louder on the recording than I could naturally hear, which surprised me.

so behold my creation

Am I gonna hear bigfeets talking about what to have for dinner? probably not. But I do recall deer hunting with my dad when i was little and being in the woods at 4am and hearing whats referred to as tree knocks.

At the very least maybe i'll pick up some coyote's howling, or the mountain lion that screamed at me one night - which ive been told couldnt happen since they dont exist in my state

anyway ive got 400 acre's of mountain property to put it out on and it was a fun $60 project
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:45:51 AM EDT
[#1]
TL:DR

Stop building IEDs
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
My sony recorder is super sensitive.
Sucks at times...but picks up everything..
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Neat!
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty cool. How long will it record?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's pretty cool. How long will it record?
View Quote

I put a 16gb card in it, built in memory is 4gb and advertises 40 hours.

I upped to the highest quality, so with the bigger card I should get around 100 hours of audio.

I set it out this past weekend and went through the recording last night, got something walking in the leave's, some owls hooting back and forth. Then a thunderstorm.

I was impressed with the quality of the audio though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link to recorder?
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you really have to listen to 100hrs of audio? Or can you use a program to analyze the recording?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Link to recorder?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Link to recorder?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-px-series-digital-voice-recorder/5774900.p?skuId=5774900

Quoted:
Do you really have to listen to 100hrs of audio? Or can you use a program to analyze the recording?

I import the audio files (MP3) into a program called Audacity (its free).

I remembered the program because i used it several years ago to cut snips of audio and make custom ringtones for flip phones back in the day when it was popular.

The recorder splits the audio files into 12 hour segments so you import each one and it displays the audio on a waterfall graph. then you can skip around and play the audio where you see noise spikes.
Took me about an hour to listen to all the stuff from a night of recording.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, I’m going to get a setup like this.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 12:39:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I used my iPhone recorder around an old cemetery,
Some graves date back well before the revolutionary war......... I got some
Shocking surprises when I Listened later. It doesn’t take anything fancy.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I forget what that is called, but some interesting sounds are heard in the ambient noise.    

Do you hear anything when playing it back really fast?  

View Quote

What about listening to it playing backwards?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I ran some of the sounds through the computer and it came back with "magma displacement".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top