Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Bigfoot and butsek comes to mind for some reason...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the US military has been using that same design since the Civil War.
View Quote

The wedge shape is the workhorse of the tent world. Wedge tents have been in use as long as humans have been sleeping under animal skins.

And the two-piece "pup" tent was indeed used during the Civil War. It was open-ended, though. I don't think the end flaps were added until the Korean War.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to sleep comfortably in the field  at Ft Eustis in 1988.  IT was Deecmber and the last night in the field we got a heavy snow.  Of course I haven't spent another night in a pup tent.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought the same. I love the smell of fresh canvas.
OP, where's your little rain trench around the tent?! Where's your battle-buddy?!
View Quote
Just a test set up.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:19:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've slept in those in a foot of snow.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You had an air mattress?
View Quote

I was in 96-98 11B. In OSUT we had the green foam sleeping mat. When I got to Ft. Campbell we were issued an air mattress at CIF. Most of us bought the green foam mats at the clothing sales store since it weighed nothing and could be stored on the outside of the ruck, saving space inside.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sometime after I was in my assigned unit the CO decided to have his men partake in a 10 mile march with
fully loaded rucksacks (even though we were a motorized unit).

A number of guys had the brilliant idea of stuffing a partially inflated air mattress in their rucks to make
it look like they had a full pack.

All of them got caught at formation before we headed out.
View Quote

Just like EIB land nav-if you ain't cheating you ain't trying!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
My infantry unit had a mix of shelter halves with snaps and others with buttons.  You always had to make sure someone in your fire team had one or the other to match up with yours.

The “clang” sound of a platoons’ worth of e-tools pounding stakes into the ground at Ft Hunter Liggett CA will resonate in my head forever.  

I remember being comfortable in them, especially as damp and cold as it was in Monterey Co at night.  Morning revile was a rude experience half of the time, depending on the time of year.

At least we slept in GP Mediums at Camp Pendleton, which was nice until it was time to take them down and then it was a working party to clean them off prior to turn in.  At MCMWTC in Bridgeport CA, we had permanent GP Mediums with winter liners.  They still were cold enough that we used the rubberized WP bag that we carried our sleeping bag in to slip over the foot end of our bags so our feet would be somewhat warm.  

The gear issued now like the Eureka! (or whoever won the latest contract) combat tent and Gor-Tex boots, clothing, and cold weather gear is so much better than the Korean War-era gear that was still in the system in the 1980s.

Off topic, but the military clothing store at Ft Knox Ky still had some WWII era items like web gear in stock at various times in 1987.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Doesn't look safe.

https://i.ibb.co/7CrMptS/sas2.jpg
View Quote
gona need a bigger gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Flashback to my 1st year in Boy Scouts 1967. Our troop went camping once a month, regardless of the weather. That year all we had were surplus shelter halves...let’s say it was a character building exercise...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Marine infantry. What do I win?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still like shelter halves and canvas tents in general. Unless the bugs are bad, I much prefer them to nylon "land warts".

You can rig them as a lean-to, also.

When weight isn't a factor, like car and canoe camping, I still use them. If a storm is forecast, sometimes I even pitch one in my front yard just to have a thermos of tea and read a book and listen to the rain on the canvas.

My $27 Walmart tent is 1087% better than a shelter half in every way.

The cheap nylon foot print I have makes a better lean-to and weighs a few oz and could fit in a cargo pocket.  

Hell, just a gortex bivy and sleeping bag is 587% better.

You weren’t a ground guy in the .mil were you.

I thought you were the guy that crashed the F-4 for some reason.  Now who is that?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you sleep horizontally when you’re soaked?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, good effort for your first time. It needs to be much tighter though. I used one at Parris Island in USMC bootcamp. Slept in it for a week, with another recruit, our rifles and our gear. I used it again a couple of times at AT in the Army NG. They perform well if you leave everything but the canvas at home and just wrap yourself in that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My pops had several WW2 style pup tents. I spent many a night camping in the backyard.
View Quote

This.   Lots of Great Memories!

I preferred to run a line between two trees to avoid the poles in the center (easier in & out & more room).

Spent many nights in boy scouts and back yard camping with my buddies when younger.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We had them, never said we used them.

They were worthless for sleeping on even when they didn't leak from holes and punctures.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/24334/US-Army-Air-Mattress-Surplus-Vietnam_jpg-1839627.JPG
View Quote

A-Haaa!!!  The Infamous "Rubber Bitch"
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Used them.
A tarp from harbor freight would be preferable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif

I thought you were the guy that crashed the F-4 for some reason.  Now who is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I still like shelter halves and canvas tents in general. Unless the bugs are bad, I much prefer them to nylon "land warts".

When weight isn't a factor, like car and canoe camping, I still use them. If a storm is forecast, sometimes I even pitch one in my front yard just to have a thermos of tea and read a book and listen to the rain on the canvas.

The cheap nylon foot print I have makes a better lean-to and weighs a few oz and could fit in a cargo pocket.  

That's me, too. Started as a grunt, ended as a pilot. What do I win?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Takes me back to my childhood. Dad brought one home in the 60s and it was practically my room as long as the weather permitted sleeping outdoors.
Can still smell the canvas.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#21]

I must own this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That thing is the personification of the military making camping miserable.  We had a FTX in SC in the middle of August and they forced us to keep one end of the thing closed.  Turned it into a fucking oven.  No sleep. 0/10, absolutely would not use again.

ETA: Oh!  The poles are absolute shit and will break if you look at the wrong.  Have fun.
View Quote

Uniformity of functionality.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just a test set up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the same. I love the smell of fresh canvas.
OP, where's your little rain trench around the tent?! Where's your battle-buddy?!
Just a test set up.  

I’m down to see this trench with wooden plank walls and walk ways, sand bag roundabouts.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Infantry had Phantoms?  Who knew?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:43:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm down to see this trench with wooden plank walls and walk ways, sand bag roundabouts.
View Quote
To protect me from Bigfoot?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd live in the thing if she was in it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#29]
That isn't a tent.  Thats just a shitty tarp that looks like a shitty tent from the outside.

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a 1950's U.S. surplus pup tent.

My dad was a CWO4, and shit like that could be had for the asking. I also crates of K-rations.

Spent many nights in the back yard in my pup tent eating k-rats and armed with a BB gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm down to see this trench with wooden plank walls and walk ways, sand bag roundabouts.

Not you, Bigfoot wants to shack up with Evelyn in your tent!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a couple pairs.  

Iirc I gave one or both away.   Ran across some pole sections and the stakes,  The stakes are about the best tent stake made......well unless you are humping a shelter half that they won’t let you sleep.  

I wouldn’t ever choose to use one again,......well unless I used it as tarp over firewood.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yup, needs a poncho as a ground tarp to get the full effect though.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yup, needs a poncho as a ground tarp to get the full effect though.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you implying that a Marine Grunt can't crash an F-4?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Trying to turn in my gear during outprocessing was among the worst experiences I ever had in the Army. I had heard CIF was full of dicks, but no one really prepared me for how bad it was. Shit I had literally never used since it was issued to me, they would reject for being too dirty. I'd get sent back outside, scrub all the rejected shit with random cleaning products, wait in line again for anywhere between 30 mins to an hour, then get a few new items accepted and repeat the whole process again with the rejects. It took about two and a half entire days to turn my gear in and I became convinced they were just flipping a coin for every item. After the first full day I inquired if they could just send me the bill for the shit they wouldn't take. I still remember the guy getting a smile on his face as he explained how I could do that, but it would just keep me there even longer. If there is a hell, I imagine it being something like CIF.
View Quote

First times goes at all my CIF experiences.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Other than basic I’ve slept in one two nights in the snow.
Some ducking general decided that it was dangerous to sleep on the vehicle.
Fuck that, frogging cold. I’m a tanker, we had heater’s for a reason
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Man. Fuck those piece of crap shelter halves. Pure dog shit. Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Man. Fuck those piece of crap shelter halves. Pure dog shit. Have fun!
View Quote

Have to agree. Was issued them but never used one except during OSUT. I did winter cycle so it was always soaking up rain during road marches and being an all around pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
they went to the little worthless foam roll up mat.
View Quote

Thats all we had.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I slept in one of those on a Boy Scout camping trip in the 80s.  It made me long for my $28 nylon tent.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Gross

Get a surplus improved combat shelter. Awesome tent
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See, I think you were really a pilot all along, it just took you awhile to figure it out while hanging out with the grunts.  

That explains you liking the shelter half.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Man, I have had a lot of folks come into the store, see those and have "story time" commence with "When I was at..."
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I slept in one of those way back when. My buddy and I froze. I am not going to lie, there was some cuddling that night.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

See, I think you were really a pilot all along, it just took you awhile to figure it out while hanging out with the grunts.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotta admit, I liked zooming around a lot better than hiking and camping.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I remember using those shelter halves back in basic training. When I got to my unit, we did a lot of multi day field exercises, but I quickly learned to set up a poncho tent (hooch) instead. Then I picked up a spare nylon poncho and always kept it in one of the outside pockets of the alice pack. I prepped the spare poncho with 550 cord lines on the corners and some spare bungee cords. It got so I could set up a poncho hooch in barely a minute or so.

The nylon poncho was actually my favorite piece of gear, since it could be a canopy shelter as well as worn. With the snaps on the poncho you could also fold it in half and use it like a sleeping bag cover, but it did not breath at all so  you had to keep some parts open for vents.

Back from the time when we still had those d-cell angle head flashlights always clipped to your LBE. I think that flashlight was also used since the civil war like the shelter halves.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#49]
In spite of all the bad stories, I will take it camping in a few weeks. I'll do a thread with pics and AAR.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Put a graphic warning in the title!  My eye started twitching when I saw that shitty monster.  Basic at Ft. Sill in June with someone jammed in there with me and camped in a swampy area.  Worst night of mosquito bites in my entire life.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top