Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2021 7:38:33 PM EDT
--Old double-bitted Gillette-- I've been off work (retired officially now) for about six months, and shaving has not been high on my priorities list. I was going through some old stuff in storage and found one of my Dad's old razors, so figured I'd give it a try. It works very well on heavy grown-out beard, because the blade doesn't load up like a triple-blade that I usually have used. The only blades I could find were some no-name things that were the only ones in the drug store-- young lady clerk had absolutely no idea what I was trying to describe. So I guess I'm a re-convert now-- I can remember using these when I first learned to shave (I'm 70 now). Any pro tips from the old hands? I've been using the Edge cream I had on hand, haven't found any soap or a mug yet--
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
When my middle brother passed unexpectedly 7 years ago, my niece gave me his antique razor collection, brushes, soap, etc.  I haven't been brave enough to try it yet, but I remember him telling me "It's the best shave I have ever had" after he began using one of the old safety razors.  Guess I should try it out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a learning curve to using a DE razor. You can't use it the same way you use a disposable cartridge-type razor. And it takes more time to do it correctly.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Order a set of “feather” Japanese blades, and some “astra” Russian ones.
The old Gillette DE razors work well with the super sharp feathers, but the astras are very forgiving to start with.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:04:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naked_Salad] [#4]
Originally Posted By Ductapeman:
--Old double-bitted Gillette-- I've been off work (retired officially now) for about six months, and shaving has not been high on my priorities list. I was going through some old stuff in storage and found one of my Dad's old razors, so figured I'd give it a try. It works very well on heavy grown-out beard, because the blade doesn't load up like a triple-blade that I usually have used. The only blades I could find were some no-name things that were the only ones in the drug store-- young lady clerk had absolutely no idea what I was trying to describe. So I guess I'm a re-convert now-- I can remember using these when I first learned to shave (I'm 70 now). Any pro tips from the old hands? I've been using the Edge cream I had on hand, haven't found any soap or a mug yet--
View Quote

70 and thinking "a safety razor is old school."   SMH.

I'd like to try one, also known as a "double edge," but I only use straight razors.  Now that takes some skill and nerve to use.   No need for a "feather razor," a real straight is a breeze to use.  It's all in the angle.  Lay it flat on your face, start moving it downwards and slowly open the angle until it shaves.  You've found "the correct angle."  Also keep blades sharp and strop correctly.   I have like 30 straights now, some with elephant ivory handles.

Congrats though and I am glad you are doing this.

I suggest "Badger and Blade" discussion forum to learn more about it.

I use "Rose" and "Lavender" of this.   You'll also need a shave brush, I use Tweezerman also from Amazon.

Shave soap
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I know we hate amazon, but there's trial packs of blades on there -- everyone is different, and some blades work better than others.

Feathers cut the shit of of me, and Astra's are perfect. Persona is a US brand, I think, but ended up being pretty dull for me.

Get a trial pack and be gentle and shave straight with the razor (any sideways move and you're begging for a cut.)

I rock a stubble beard now but my neck and the edges are all done with a safety razor -- I'll never go back to the multiblade stuff.

Cremo shaving cream is GTG, a tiny bit and water and the razor just glides over your skin.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:19:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#6]
Agree with above, get a trial pack.  It takes a while to find your sweet spot, since you can use a blade for a week, and each trial pack usually comes with a 5-pack per brand.

Feathers tore me up too.  I ordered a box of Astra, it's lasted .... 4 years?  5?  And I still have most of the sample packs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My biggest tip would be to use as little pressure as possible (i.e. don't bear down) let the razor's weight and the blade do the work.

As mentioned before https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/ has a wealth of information.

This guy's video tutorial are pretty good for the beginner.
Why to Shave with a Safety Razor - Beginner Series Ep. 1

Here's a link with date codes if you want to look up when your father's razor was made. https://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-date-codes-serial-numbers/
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
@Ductapeman I tried to send you a IM but your mailbox is full.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely try a bunch of blades.    I don't like Feathers at all.....I get less than one okay shave out of a blade.

I like Lord, Voskhod, Israeli reds (not sure of they're still the same),  and Derby Extra depending on the razor.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I just today bought my first safety razor at mid 30s.  I was using dsc razors but my handle finally broke and I needed one.   I wish I changed over to safety razors a long time ago when I had to shave daily.  I feel like I didn't get the right angle on the right side of my face and had to go over it and it's burning a little bit but I think it'll go away quickly.  The kit I bought is a van Der hagen.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
We were in a Dollar Store the other day and I found a razor and a pack of no-name steel blades for a dollar.
The razor is metal but it is the lightest thing I have ever seen. I have a few feather blades left and will try one in it. I may just throw it in my travel bag and go from there.

BTW: is there still a source of the old single-blade injectable-type blades? I have the first razor I ever used, a Schick single blade safety. I would use it if I could find blades for it. The ones I can find should be scraping decals off of windows instead of shaving your face.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#12]
You can find Schick injector blades for sale online, anything from Personna bulk packs, to cheap Chinese knock offs, to feathers, to actual Schick brand injector blades.  Amazon, the razor company, razor emporium, and many other places have them for sale.  I’ve never used or bought any, so I couldn’t tell you who has the best price though.  

My father did the typical thing of giving me a Gillette Sensor Excel and some edge gel without actually teaching me to shave, so it’s been rather enjoyable to learn to shave with a DE razor, plus use traditional lather from a shaving soap.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 5:34:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crusader44] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JohhnyCobra:
Order a set of “feather” Japanese blades, and some “astra” Russian ones.
The old Gillette DE razors work well with the super sharp feathers, but the astras are very forgiving to start with.
View Quote

Astra is my preferred brand, but Feather and Shark blades left me needing a transfusion. The bevel on them is completely different.

OP, when I went back to safety razors, I bought a variety pack of blades on Amazon. It had a dozen different brands to try out and find what worked for me and the cost wasn't prohibitive.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTM9NB5?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NathanL] [#14]
My grandfather's 1962 Gillette Fatboy. Found it in the last week going through the stuff of my grandmother that just died at 100. Grandfather last shaved with it 30 years ago before he died. 5 minutes of a little soap and toothbrush. Cleaned up well enough I slapped a razor on it and shaved. Still had a made in the USA Gillete blade in it though slightly rusted on the bottom side.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:05:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hooooon] [#15]
Originally Posted By NathanL:
My grandfather's 1962 Gillette Fatboy. Found it in the last week going through the stuff of my grandmother that just died at 100. Grandfather last shaved with it 30 years ago before he died. 5 minutes of a little soap and toothbrush. Cleaned up well enough I slapped a razor on it and shaved. Still had a made in the USA Gillete blade in it though slightly rusted on the bottom side.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148119/FatBoy_jpg-2157665.JPG
View Quote
It is a little hard to tell with just one picture, but I’m pretty confident that your grandfather’s razor is a Slim Adjustable, not a Fatboy.  Either way that’s an awesome find.  I’m sure it has many more years of life left in it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I need to look and compare them. I have no idea only recently started using a safety razor. Shaved my head and beard with it this morning and it did a great job. Best benefit it's much easier to hold onto than my other razor.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish there were more old-school barber shops around with straight razor service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 2:23:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alaska511] [#18]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
There's a learning curve to using a DE razor. You can't use it the same way you use a disposable cartridge-type razor. And it takes more time to do it correctly.
View Quote

This.
30+ years of Gillette, I learned on the Sensor, and have been using the Mach 3 since it came out.  

This last year I bought my first safety DE handle after reading here.  It took 4 more handles before I found what I like, and I think I have enough blades to last the lives of my grandchildren LOL

It takes twice to three times as long to get done, but that's okay.  I went through much frustration, and wasted some dough figuring it out, but I have my recipe.  I won't go back!

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
We were in a Dollar Store the other day and I found a razor and a pack of no-name steel blades for a dollar.
The razor is metal but it is the lightest thing I have ever seen. I have a few feather blades left and will try one in it. I may just throw it in my travel bag and go from there.

BTW: is there still a source of the old single-blade injectable-type blades? I have the first razor I ever used, a Schick single blade safety. I would use it if I could find blades for it. The ones I can find should be scraping decals off of windows instead of shaving your face.
View Quote

*Giggle*, Dollar store DE blades, been there, done that.  

Don't do it, resist the urge unless you can find some Wilkinson Swords on the shelf (Bed, Bath and Beyond stocks them), other wise, go online to a good shaving supply (I like Shave Nation) and get a sample pack.

Feather blades, yes, they are the sharpest thing out there and some guys love them.  Or, they think its macho to bleed.  I find that they are a bit rough (as opposed to smooth) and get lots of weepers.   My go to blades are Gillette Silver Blue, Perma Sharp and Wilkinson Sword Classics.  They have a very good combination of sharpness and smoothness.  Astra was a good learning blade for me but after a while it was time to find something better.

My two cents, don't bother with Derby, Shark or Lord, they simply are not sharp enough to give you a good shave/pleasureable experiance.  You'll have to apply pressure and that causes nicks & weepers.

Somewhere above, you or someone else mentioned a Shick Injector, don't be ashamed to use it.  They are highly under rated.  You can get blades online fairly cheap and an injector in good condition still gives one of the best shaves you can get.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By hooooon:
It is a little hard to tell with just one picture, but I’m pretty confident that your grandfather’s razor is a Slim Adjustable, not a Fatboy.  Either way that’s an awesome find.  I’m sure it has many more years of life left in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hooooon:

I was going to say that.  I have a slim adjustable.  Slightly longer handle and obviously slimmer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 10:51:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Vap0rWav3r] [#21]
Originally Posted By seek2:
I know we hate amazon, but there's trial packs of blades on there -- everyone is different, and some blades work better than others.

Feathers cut the shit of of me, and Astra's are perfect. Persona is a US brand, I think, but ended up being pretty dull for me.

Get a trial pack and be gentle and shave straight with the razor (any sideways move and you're begging for a cut.)

I rock a stubble beard now but my neck and the edges are all done with a safety razor -- I'll never go back to the multiblade stuff.

Cremo shaving cream is GTG, a tiny bit and water and the razor just glides over your skin.
View Quote
I made the mistake of buying one of the Amazon blade trial packs when I started and it was awful, they sent me 2 or 3 good name brand blades and a bunch of garbage Indian, Egyptian, and Pakistani blades.

I send acquaintances to Tryablade  I wouldn't order more than 1 blade from them because their prices are steep vs. bulk, but you can try most of the best name brand blades from under .75 cents a blade.

OP go to DE blades and sort by popularity and buy the most popular 10 or so and it'll probably cost you about $4-5 and you'll get a pretty good idea about which ones your face likes.

I am disappointed to see they don't currently have Feathers listed IDK why.

Shipping is fast and they come in an envelope through USPS.

I use Personna Lab Blue (the US Made) daily but occasionally switch out for a Voskhod.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 10:38:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BoneB1B] [#22]
OP

try Personna blades and Proraso cream ( I like the blue, No smell ).

Amazon or West Coast Shaving
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

I have one like that, maybe a bit older that was Dad's. The adjustable head is interesting. I usually keep it on 7 but will change depending on what blade I'm using.
The Dollar Store razor and blades were Van Der Hagen and those blades are about all I see in the local stores. They are serviceable blades. The generic blades seem to have disappeared.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top