Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2021 5:28:07 PM EDT
Any of you guys use and like any of those products?

Pretty popular around here. Among my friends, I can count more guys that use those products than do not. These aren't lazy dudes either, and lots of them say it makes them feel better/more energized, like drinking a cup of coffee. They'll pop one of those pouches in, then get shit done - like frame a house, roof a house, fell a huge tree and buck it/split it, etc. They'll leave it in for hours, and at least among the guys that use snus or zyn, they don't even spit. They leave the pouches in while they sip beer or coffee, too.

Occasionally I'm offered a pouch and try one out of curiosity...makes me feel light-headed and dizzy...not really energizing. I have to take the pouch out after a few minutes or I think I'd either need to lay down or vomit. Feel like I'm more likely to fall off the damn roof vs get it done faster.

I know my system isn't used to it, and that's just fine as I don't intend to work towards creating another vice for myself, but I don't really get it. Is there a point at which it stops making you feel dizzy and light-headed and actually makes you feel good/gives you a boost? If so, what compelled you to push past that initial period during which it made you feel like shit?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't start, its hard to stop...ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah once you get hooked on nicotine the fun feelings go away

Youre just left with a bad habit after that

griz wintergreen for me
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Started around age 15... should have just quit after basic training. Havent had a buzz with the spins since 09 (first chew after basic)

ETA: Chase, we would get along. Had a random year of skoal, but the rest are griz wintergreen. Even got an prize at a concert once from them.. they said I was 'manly' lol! I got a free smoker that my dad still has.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
The first time I dipped I couldn't decide if I wanted to puke or shit my pants

Yes, you get used to it

A tobacco pipe is a lot better for me
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#5]
so, initially it'll make you sick

but then that wears off and then the cravings start, then you try it again. you don't get as sick because your body starts adjusting.

then before you know it, you're stacking like three fucking extra sterk portions in your upper lip like a retard
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Don’t get used to it. I’ve been dipping for at least 20 years now. Quit a couple times but always backslide.
This shit is like crack cocaine:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Zyn type pouches are the worst IMO. I use Rogue as well. I tried a can out for $1 at the Great American Outdoor Show last year (after being nicotine free for a year- I was a smoker). Stupid move, still on them and they are FAR more addictive than cigarettes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Smokeless tobacco is rough.

I started at 13 yo and was a user for 30 years.

I dropped it in 2017, but still take the gum on occasion. Still not awesome, but a fraction of the nicotine and I was cheating the mouth gods for too long.

A dip has roughly 14 mg nicotine and lays in your vascular mouth for however long you keep it. Most keep it until the flavor is done.

A cigarette can contain 6 - 28 mg of nicotine, but you only inhale around 2 mg by the end of the cig.

Imo - smokeless tobacco is much more difficult to kick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I dipped the Rogue stuff all summer while working crazy covid shifts. Years before it was general snus.

I just stop when I feel guilty. Every few years I'll pick up a couple cans when I'll be doing a bunch of work outside.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The first time I dipped I couldn't decide if I wanted to puke or shit my pants

Yes, you get used to it

A tobacco pipe is a lot better for me
View Quote

My first experience was in a tree. I took some of my grandpa's Levi Garret.

I fell right the fuck out. A smart kid wouldn't have been back for more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Skoal wintergreen xtra
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
i have zero problems stopping cold turkey, done it 3 times now...

weeks or months later, however, and i'm doing something where i'd ordinarily take a dip and i want one again

now, after dipping since about 1994, i'm down to just bumming a dip whenever i'm around somebody else that has one. plan is to never buy a can again, i'm probably 3 months in this time
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dipped the Rogue stuff all summer while working crazy covid shifts. Years before it was general anus.

I just stop when I feel guilty. Every few years I'll pick up a couple cans when I'll be doing a bunch of work outside.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Nicotine is a helluva drug.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Used to do Copenhagen Man I love that shit
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I enjoy cigars and pipes and have tried snus or pouches before.    Just cant get in to the smokeless stuff.  I'm like you OP,  that much nicotine in short order made me feel lightheaded, plus it kicks my salivary glands into overdrive.  even the tobaccoless stuff like zyn gets me.  

i'll stick with the occasional cigar.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I am freshly clean from this shit.

It was almost impossible to quick cold turkey.

So hard to stop.

Don’t try your friends anymore.

Just don’t.

Stay away from it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I mean...

what else are you gonna use all those old MtDew bottles for?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I dipped the Rogue stuff all summer while working crazy covid shifts. Years before it was general anus.

View Quote
Glad you got off your General Anus habit.

I have been using snus/swedish tabacco free pouches for a while, it's time to take a break.  The good news is unless I proactively order them, it's not like I can just give in and pick them up at the gas station.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Are these things like skoal bandits?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Only things that got me off of dip were cigarettes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw that and almost died. You beat the edit

Fwiw general anus isn't that bad
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have been using snus/swedish tabacco free pouches for a while, it's time to take a break.  The good news is unless I proactively order them, it's not like I can just give in and pick them up at the gas station.

View Quote

Sheetz has them all
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i really got into cigarettes here lately and would definitely have kept it up

fortunately (unfortunately?), my cigarette tastes lie in cigarettes around 75 years old and are more than a little hard to come by

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Skoal bandits suuuuuuuuck
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Dip and Rip Its are great if you ever have to stay awake for three days straight
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a couple different things being discussed here:

1. Regular US dip, which could be in pouches or not. Its fermented so it has nitrosamines and, although without HPV cancer risk isn't horrible, it has nitrosamines and you're going to normally be spitting.

2. Swedish Snus, which is still tobacco, but its pasteurized so it doesn't have a significant cancer risk and you don't need to spit. Some of this, like Siberia, is really, really strong, as in 40mg of Nicotine each.

3. Swedish/EU nicotine pouches like Lyft and skruf.  These can range from mild to very strong. No tobacco, probably the least risk.

4 U.S nicotine pouches like Zynn.  This are probably less clean in terms of ingredients that they EU ones, and usually not all that strong (4mg ish).

Seriously get your kids the HPV vaccine so that if they go down on a skank in college and dip/smoke at all they're not setup for oral cancer.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sheetz has them all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheetz has them all
No Sheetz within 2 hours of me, and although Speedway did carry General Anus snus, the only one within an hour doesn't have it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Same appeal as cocaine, meth, and heroin.  It's addicting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried Zyn and all of the other US market nicotine pouch variants and didn't really like them. Then I found Ace SuperWhite and other Swedish brands and now I order 6 rolls at a time. Ace Cool Mint is my daily go to pouch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Levi Garrett, Copenhagen Long Cut and Oden's Snus.  Depends on what I'm doing, but those are my go to's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, the dizzy feeling goes away.

First time I used actual chewing tobacco (Levi Garrett), I thought I was going to barf. The juices made my spit thicken up to the same consistency as vomit minus the chunks, and it actually tasted good (like raisins).

I can't do loose dip like Copenhagen, the pinch falls apart in my mouth and I end up with flakes and bits all through my mouth that I can't get rid of

The Snus pouches are nice occasionally while driving 25-30+ minutes. Any longer than that and they kind of lose their pizazz.

All of the above said, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a dip of any kind. I don't do it regularly, but I keep a tin of the Snus pouches in my truck console and I'm pretty sure my lunch buddy has stolen more of them than I've actually used... ever.

Ironically, the only time I have actually fallen the fuck out and thrown up was at my friend's bachelor party. Somewhere to this day in one of our phones, there's a picture of me sitting at a table on the second floor balcony of a bar in Gainesville with a cup of straight vodka in front of me (bar ran out of Redbull and I was drunk enough I thought full cups was a good idea), smoking a fucking Marlboro Red, with a dip in. I look happy as fuck, too, but the impending doom was baaaad
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

griz wintergreen for me
View Quote

Monica.jpg

2 cans (at most) a week for me

ETA: General Anus sounds like a good username
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Same appeal as cocaine, meth, and heroin.  It's addicting.
View Quote

That response underscores my original question. With those drugs, people do them and feel amazing/have fun/____ .  So they end up going back for more. Then they become addicted.

With snus/dip, it sounds like people try it and at least at first, experience no pleasurable effects and in some cases it makes people downright sick, too.

So...what compels people to continue doing it to the point that it is a habit? I understand some people move to smokeless tobacco to get away from smoking. And others started when they were 14 and were just trying to be cool. But beyond that - why keep doing something that made you feel like shit the first few times you tried it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That response underscores my original question. With those drugs, people do them and feel amazing/have fun/____ .  That's why they end up doing more.

With snus/dip, it sounds like people try it and at least at first, experience no pleasurable effects and in some cases it makes people downright sick, too.

So...what compels people to continue doing it to the point that it is a habit? I understand some people move to smokeless tobacco to get away from smoking. And others started when they were 14 and were just trying to be cool. But beyond that - why keep doing something that made you feel like shit the first few times you tried it?
View Quote

With a Bang energy it's a nice buzz and a great shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I love pipes and cigars for the aroma and taste . The nicotine is mostly an unwanted byproduct for me

Does smokeless taste good or anything or are people just there for the buzz?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#38]
They are nice for commercial flights.

I used to smoke 1 pack a day.

I'm down to 20 pounds a year in a really nice pipe now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I stop smoking drinking druging 35 years ago I'am not giving up my skoal
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#40]
It’s gotten me off of Copenhagen long cut. Started out with the 6mg and down to the 3mg.

Trying to quit the 3 eventually. Kicking the nic is hard but they’re helping
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

With a Bang energy it's a nice buzz and a great shit.
View Quote
Oh yeah I was doing a bang and 2x 8mg bang pouches in the morning
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

griz wintergreen for me
View Quote

Yep.

Applying for a job that tests for nicotine, I've been clean for almost 2 weeks now.  It's awful.

Don't even start dudes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Copenhagen long cut wintergreen.
Been dipping since I got diagnosed with copd from smoking. Probably 10 or more years and it is a hard one to quit.
I've been thinking about just quitting but I actually enjoy a good fresh can with a cold beer.
Dan
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yep.

Applying for a job that tests for nicotine, I've been clean for almost 2 weeks now.  It's awful.

Don't even start dudes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

griz wintergreen for me

Yep.

Don't even start dudes.

Do what now?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Dip so I don’t murder people at work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Do what now?
View Quote

Something to do with their health insurance requirements.  Expect that to become a huge thing in the near future, all the nurses I know had to deal with it too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Do what now?
View Quote

I read it that he's currently applying for a job that tests for nicotene in their pre-employment drug screening.   This is becoming more and more common now especially in the healthcare world.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Something to do with their health insurance requirements.  Expect that to become a huge thing in the near future, all the nurses I know had to deal with it too.
View Quote

for some it means higher healthcare premiums, in other organizations they treat it the same as if you piss hot for a narcotic.  you will be disqualified from the position.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I read it that he's currently applying for a job that tests for nicotene in their pre-employment drug screening.   This is becoming more and more common now especially in the healthcare world.
View Quote

Accurate.  Maybe my typing and grammar skills are going now from lack of dip
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Dipped skoal for 18 years.

Quit Christmas Day 2019 cold turkey.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top