Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2020 8:44:36 PM EDT
My 12 year old son, Zach, and I are heading out on a father-son road trip tomorrow morning. We have a room at the resort and lift tickets for 2 days at Snowshoe. We will likely spend Saturday exploring Davis, WV and the Canaan Valley.

This is our first trip together and we have no agenda past Saturday. I don't have to be back home until Tuesday, so we have some freedom. We were thinking about hitting Roanoke, VA and DuPont on the way back home.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as Snowshoe and WV in general.........

Be careful on the trails, you don’t want to end up at our local hospital, lol.

Also, watch traffic laws thru our hick towns, they love outa staters here.

Check out Cass Railroad, its one side of SnowShoe and train rides are a blast, i have no idea if kung fu is effecting it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Riding the Cass railway to the top of the mountain is definitely worthwhile.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out our trout hatcheries.
Kids love to see the process from the egg tanks to the ponds and then the on site stream of monster trout.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 12 year old son, Zach, and I are heading out on a father-son road trip tomorrow morning. We have a room at the resort and lift tickets for 2 days at Snowshoe. We will likely spend Saturday exploring Davis, WV and the Canaan Valley.

This is our first trip together and we have no agenda past Saturday. I don't have to be back home until Tuesday, so we have some freedom. We were thinking about hitting Roanoke, VA and DuPont on the way back home. Do you all have any recommendations?

https://i.postimg.cc/wT01bjmB/20200630-194804.jpg
View Quote

Come back through US 19 and hit up the New River Gorge Area. Great places to hike and bike both. Great little restaurants to eat here too. PM me if you need details.

Great scenery as well. Have several places with zip lines and the bridge walk etc. lotsa stuff a 12 year old and his dad would like to do together.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:51:39 AM EDT
[#5]
We got to the resort and got settled yesterday We ran into Missy Giove near the bike shop. Today is goingnto be dope!
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Hike up to McAfee's Knob outside of Roanoke for an awesome view.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We got to the resort and got settled yesterday We ran into Missy Giove near the bike shop. Today is goingnto be dope!
View Quote

Nice, enjoy it, weather pretty good right now.

Link Posted: 7/2/2020 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Two of my recommendations were already listed.  Go to the New River Gorge bridge.  I know there are hiking trails there and probably bike trails.  

Cass is pretty neat too  I kind of doubt the train is  running but if you can bike to the top it is an entirely different microclimate from down at the base.  

If you want to do something different see if they are running half or full day New River rafting trips.  The New isn't quite as exciting as the Upper Gauley but you missed the spring damn release on the Gauley already and I think you need to be at least 16 on that trip anyway.

If you go to Roanoke you might pull off the interstate at Clifton Forge and have a beer at Jack Mason's tavern (if they are open).  Pretty nice little place.  Lewisburg is also a neat little town which is probably where you would turn coming down from Snowshoe unless you wanted to come over the mountains directly east and come down on 220 through Virginia.

Oh, also the radio telescope at Green Bank is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]
If you go to the gorge go by arrowhead bike farm and grab a map. There are some trails near their shop to ride.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Missy Grove, thats a name I haven't heard of in years.
I've heard that Somerset WV has some good trails as well.
Roanoke is on my to so list.
Find Morganton N.C on the map. Lots of good riding here. (Instagram #wilsonsucks #theotherpisgah) lots of good stuff here to ride. Its gonna rain through tomorrow and by drying out by Wednesday.
Hit me up if you want to ride this area.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is our first trip together and we have no agenda past Saturday. I don't have to be back home until Tuesday, so we have some freedom. We were thinking about hitting Roanoke, VA and DuPont on the way back home. Do you all have any recommendations?

https://i.postimg.cc/wT01bjmB/20200630-194804.jpg
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and eat at Hellbenders and also Sirianis in Davis. They are across the street from each other, so easy to find.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#12]
TThis trip is already over. We had a blast. We stuck to the resort with one day to the Canaan Valley. It was a ton of fun. Next summer is Colorado.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I am ashamed to say I live like 2 hours away from Snowshoe and I haven't been.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm 4ish hours away and have only been twice, most recently was a few weeks ago. Love it there and have been looking at buying a condo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:03:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm 4ish hours away and have only been twice, most recently was a few weeks ago. Love it there and have been looking at buying a condo.
View Quote

What part of WV are you in?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What part of WV are you in?
View Quote

SW, super close to Ohio
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

You will have to change that. i am an hour away and spend a weekend or two a month there throughout the spring and summer. I would love to retired to the Canaan Valley area in about 30 years.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

SW, super close to Ohio
View Quote

Same I am in Huntington. I can throw a rock and hit Ohio or Kentucky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top