Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 6:19:09 PM EDT
TNT is airing a new series based on Snowpiercer.  For those unfamiliar with the story background, it takes place in the future after attempts to reverse global warming result in an ice age.  the only thing keeping people alive is a ridiculously large 1001 car train designed and built by an eccentric billionaire.  It travels around the world, staying within the summer warmth cycle.  The train has it's own ecosphere, and the really rich live in the first class like kings in the front, and the poorest live in the tail section.

The main character is a former homicide detective from the tail, who is drafted into solving a series of murders that could destroy the social order on the train.

So far the first episode has aired is on TNT's site.  First episode has me hooked.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me know how it is. If its decent i will watch. But after watching the movie I am very hesistant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Hated the movie, but I think there is an article out there on the series that says they tried to make it left wing but it ends up proving conservatives right.

Kind of like ruining the earth because of fake global warming.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hated the movie, but I think there is an article out there on the series that says they tried to make it left wing but it ends up proving conservatives right.

Kind of like ruining the earth because of fake global warming.
View Quote

How did they try to make the series left wing?  The backstory story of mankind accidentally freezing the world while trying to counteract global warming, and a 1001 car train with the underclass in the rear rising up and fighting their way to the front of the train where the upper class reside is the same as in the movie.  In fact, it’s all based on a 1982 French graphic novel Le Transperceneige, so climate change and class warfare have been part of the story for almost 40 years.  The main thing that the TV series changed is to add a murder mystery subplot, likely to drag a 2 hour movie out to 10 hours of TV.

I loved the movie, but was underwhelmed by the first episode of the series.  Pretty slow and boring, and drawn out.  It’s going to have to get better to keep my interest.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty slow and boring, and drawn out.  It’s going to have to get better to keep my interest.
View Quote

I expected it to be a slow burn type series. to get a season or two's worth out of it.

So far the tiered society is consistent with the movie ( I haven't seen the graphic novels.)   Unlike the movie, Jennifer Connelly's character supplied a bunch of backstory in direct and subtle ways (no smoked salmon, for example.)
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How did they try to make the series left wing?  The backstory story of mankind accidentally freezing the world while trying to counteract global warming, and a 1001 car train with the underclass in the rear rising up and fighting their way to the front of the train where the upper class reside is the same as in the movie.  In fact, it’s all based on a 1982 French graphic novel Le Transperceneige, so climate change and class warfare have been part of the story for almost 40 years.  The main thing that the TV series changed is to add a murder mystery subplot, likely to drag a 2 hour movie out to 10 hours of TV.

I loved the movie, but was underwhelmed by the first episode of the series.  Pretty slow and boring, and drawn out.  It’s going to have to get better to keep my interest.
View Quote

Class warfare is Marxist. Billionaires using g little poor kids as slaves to maintain their class organized train is Marxist.

AGW is Marxist
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Shitty movie, awful premise, series likely to be worse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Class warfare is Marxist. Billionaires using g little poor kids as slaves to maintain their class organized train is Marxist.

AGW is Marxist
View Quote

I think they're taking the show in a different direction than taking "being part of the machine" in a literal sense.  I get the impression the "machine and it's components" is more of a metaphor for their structured society.   The folks in the tail are last minute stowaways or passengers who have either lost or no longer serve a purpose in the rest of the train.  Opportunity to move out of the tail section exists, as demonstrated by the cop and also his ex, who apparently left him and their kid behind to get work and move up in the train.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Bumped to say the series is four episodes in, and it's much more than a serialization of the movie.  Without giving away spoilers, the train is not only the ecosystem.  The passengers, regardless of class or position are all pieces in the game.  The Tailies are not just spare playing pieces, but also wildcards since they were never scheduled to be on the train.  Lot's of interesting back stories and side stories make it a series that stands on it's own merit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Bump again.  Season 1 ended last week, and this is my attempt as a mini review without giving any spoilers.

For those who saw the Korean made movie with Chris Evan and Ed Harris, the only similarity is the the concept of a worldwide rail circuit created by a multi-billionaire, and there's a class structure based on how much you paid to get on, or didn't pay.  The unpaid folks that live in the tail don't like it there and want out, but's where the similarities end.  Moving yup the train is a central theme, but not the only slow season-wide story

The main character is Layton, a former detective in the Chicago PD.  He's part of the leadership in the tail, and has done his share of bad things to survive (to be revealed later.)  After a murder occurs, he is drafted by the Brakemen (the train's constabulary and regulators of who goes where on the train) since they are mainly traffic cops.  Without giving any more up, a good share of mysteries get solved, and open the door to newer mysteries, however by the end of the season everything is buttoned up.  The situations on the train blur the difference between who are the good guys and bad guys from moment to moment.  When it's all over, I felt the slow burn was worth it, and the lead-in to the next season raises some interesting questions.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Just started it last night

on ep 2
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 1:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Just started EP 5

Where are the naked boobs?

Did I miss them?
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 2:21:58 AM EDT
[#12]
I just finished season 1 a few days ago. The premise is retarded but I did like the show a lot.

Plus Jennifer Connelly is still quite attractive even though she's so much older.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
It can't be worse than the movie.

doesnt sound like they added enough racial and sexual issues though.

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll give a go
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wipe the movie from your mind before watching the series.  This version of the train is far from the steampunk train in the movie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just finished season 1 a few days ago. The premise is retarded but I did like the show a lot.

Plus Jennifer Connelly is still quite attractive even though she's so much older.
View Quote

At first, I  didn't think I'd like Connelly in that role, however like many other characters, their back stories make them easier to warm up to.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Season 2 has begun.  New rules.  New big bad enemy.  More "the good guys aren't really that great either" moments.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speaking of that. In the end of the movie, wasn't it just the white woman and the young black boy alive or were there others in the train?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#19]
It was a film for Korean theater goers, so naturally the Korean girl survived.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:56:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Season 2 has begun.  New rules.  New big bad enemy.  More "the good guys aren't really that great either" moments.
View Quote

thx for the heads up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top