Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2020 9:39:03 PM EDT
Just bought 3 sleds , never rode before . Other then around a buddies field 20+ years ago on a Phazer 440 . Is Kilm the only Go to ? What about FXR or 509 ( bought a couple of their helmets and Goggles ). Does gear come up for sale cheap in the summer to get rid of this years and get out 2021s ?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
All those brands are good to go. The mountain guys like to be all blinged out with matching brand/color. I’ve never cared that much.

I have more outdoor research gear(gloves balaclavas etc) than anything.

What sleds did you get?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a killer deal ( in my mind ) on a 18' Charmac Vnose trailer , 2010 Skidoo Xp 600 ,  2005 Rmk 550 Trail and 2005 Rmk 600 Mt Edition. 9k for all of it .  Will have to look into Outdoor Research . I dont care about being the flashiest on the Mt , Hell I dont care if I wear a Klim coat with FXR pants and my 509 headwear . Hell I will buy used stuff.  Just got a little sticker shock this past weekend looking at Kilm gear , $500 for a pair of pants
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
MotorFist and KLIM are my two choices.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I started with Klim, now I have a Tobe onesie. Could not recommend more. Not having to worry about snow ingress anymore is a game changer.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Klim.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you guys wearing insulated gear or just the outers with Merino Wool base layers ? Think my riding style will be groomed trails , meadows with the wife and kids . Then boondocking with buddies .
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you guys wearing insulated gear or just the outers with Merino Wool base layers ? Think my riding style will be groomed trails , meadows with the wife and kids . Then boondocking with buddies .
View Quote
I run pretty hot. All I tend to wear under my onesie is wool socks, and burton/underarmour/etc base layer pants/tops. Ridden plenty @ minus 40 (C/F, doesn’t matter) without issue. Most important thing is extra gloves. I ride with thin motor fist gloves 90% of the time. I keep a spare set in case they get too wet in the pack. I’ll also wear a heavy set of gloves on the trail up and down sometimes if it’s extra cold.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go with a shell style uninsulated, and layer up below. You'll be amazed how warm you are during normal riding.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Got a killer deal ( in my mind ) on a 18' Charmac Vnose trailer , 2010 Skidoo Xp 600 ,  2005 Rmk 550 Trail and 2005 Rmk 600 Mt Edition. 9k for all of it .  Will have to look into Outdoor Research . I dont care about being the flashiest on the Mt , Hell I dont care if I wear a Klim coat with FXR pants and my 509 headwear . Hell I will buy used stuff.  Just got a little sticker shock this past weekend looking at Kilm gear , $500 for a pair of pants
View Quote
Watch the 550 like a hawk. They like to burn up. Make sure all the updates have been done for the oil and cooling.

All i wear is carhart extreme bibs and a couple of different coats depending on how cold.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Watch the 550 like a hawk. They like to burn up. Make sure all the updates have been done for the oil and cooling.
View Quote
@akcaribouhunter
I thought the 550 would require the least amount of attention because its air cooled ? What updates should I be looking for or doing?
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@akcaribouhunter
I thought the 550 would require the least amount of attention because its air cooled ? What updates should I be looking for or doing?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@akcaribouhunter
The 550s have the rep from the cowlings being so tight around the motor. Also polaris did not increase the cooling capacity when they increase the motor from 488cc to 550 cc.
They have a shroud for the cooling fan to get cooler air in. Protects it from sucking air from the exhaust pipe.
A oil return line was put in because they think the oil was boiling.
Also believe they was a updated cdi ignition to retard timing a little.
Check here for good polaris info https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/ and go to doo talk for the skidoos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 550s have the rep from the cowlings being so tight around the motor. Also polaris did not increase the cooling capacity when they increase the motor from 488cc to 550 cc.
They have a shroud for the cooling fan to get cooler air in. Protects it from sucking air from the exhaust pipe.
A oil return line was put in because they think the oil was boiling.
Also believe they was a updated cdi ignition to retard timing a little.
Check here for good polaris info https://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/ and go to doo talk for the skidoos.
View Quote
Thanks for that . I've been creeping on HCS , DooTalk and Snowest.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Make friends with the parts guy at your local shop. They will roll you deals on gear and parts.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@akcaribouhunter
View Quote
Well it’s a Polaris, of course it’s gonna require attention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top