BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
My 9 year old daughter wants a snek. The local independent pet store has a small corn snake, about 15" long.

I have her writing a paper on care and figuring out a proposed budget for food and supplies.

They want $59 for the snake and they sell a habitat for $160.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 9 year old daughter wants a snek. The local independent pet store has a small corn snake, about 15" long.

I have her writing a paper on care and figuring out a proposed budget for food and supplies.

View Quote
Corns are awesome for beginners and advanced keepers.  That is a lot for a normal or wild type corn.  I would check for reptile related Facebook groups and local reptile shows.  You can even have them shipped to you from any number of breeders around the country for only a little more than what your local place is asking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Corns are awesome for beginners and advanced keepers.  That is a lot for a normal or wild type corn.  I would check for reptile related Facebook groups and local reptile shows.  You can even have them shipped to you from any number of breeders around the country for only a little more than what your local place is asking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My daughter was 11 when she got her first snake. She knew a lot about the care and feeding of them. She watched a ton of videos and read a bunch of books, blogs and web pages. Now that her two snakes are pretty much adults and don't eat as much, they eat 2-4 medium-sized rats a month. This puts a burden on my daughter's allowance. Make sure you figure out a feeder source and build the food into what you're going to be spending.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I remembered I have a 29 gal tank set up that's 30" x 12" and a stand. I pulled it out of the shed and cleaned it up. Recaulked it too even though no water will be in it. I picked up a background and a tank top. We set it up to see what the wife would do. She seemed OK with it so I put a deposit on it and will pick it up tomorrow as an early Christmas present. She said she would do her chores and pay for it and right now she thinks it will be in April when she can afford it. I would wait until we get back from our Christmas vacation but given the feeding schedule for it I will get it tomorrow, wait a few days to feed it and we will be back in time for it's next feeding. Plus it gives me a few days to adjust the temperature.

I'll post a real picture tomorrow. I threw this in for a surprise for the wife! LOL
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Random Fishing Spider & Buzz

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Snakebite & Cleo

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok. We brought my daughter's corn snake home yesterday. She was super-surprised! Not everyone in the house is happy about the new addition. Her sister thinks it's gross and her brothers don't want any part of it. We had him out for a little today to try and get him acclimated. She named it "Kettle" as in Kettle Corn.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok. We brought my daughter's corn snake home yesterday. She was super-surprised! Not everyone in the house is happy about the new addition. Her sister thinks it's gross and her brothers don't want any part of it. We had him out for a little today to try and get him acclimated. She named it "Kettle" as in Kettle Corn.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74202/2018-12-17_16_57_02_jpg-776201.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/74202/2018-12-17_16_59_50_jpg-776202.JPG
View Quote
Congrats! Daughter looks VERY happy. Everyone else will get used to it in time. Won't be any big deal.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Daughter and I took a hike back in October. She saw this pretty lady. I'm not sure if I've ever seen the underbelly of one of these garden spiders aka orb weavers.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top