Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2021 8:57:25 PM EDT
does anyone have good information on a smart home + security system?   I am super new at this smart home stuff, but I would like a single app on my phone, and a device on the wall that can control the temperature, lighting, doors, security cameras, alarm, and other fun smart home things.   I would prefer something more permanent than SimpliSafe, because it feels kind of cheap, and would prefer to hard wire in devices rather than have them run off of batteries.

Does such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 12:10:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mban2:
does anyone have good information on a smart home + security system?   I am super new at this smart home stuff, but I would like a single app on my phone, and a device on the wall that can control the temperature, lighting, doors, security cameras, alarm, and other fun smart home things.   I would prefer something more permanent than SimpliSafe, because it feels kind of cheap, and would prefer to hard wire in devices rather than have them run off of batteries.

Does such a thing exist?
View Quote

So, hardwire devices will mean putting holes in drywall, removing trim/door frames/window frames, etc.     Wired units are still around, but you have to piece them together usually, or get a big reseller/installer to get it done.

Bigger question, do you want the security service monitored 24/7 by a third-party or just for your own info?

As bad as it is (Ring is typically horrible for privacy as per the "privacy brigade"), we use a combo of Ring (Security, cameras, lights, smoke alarms) and Kasa (light bubs/outlets/switches).

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:12:11 PM EDT
I have an older house where everything was wired in to an outdated alarm system.  I kept all the sensors but tore all the old electronic unit out and got a Konnected alarm.  It integrated well with Smartthings and also Hubitat (I recently upgraded to Hubitat from Smartthings).
Top Top