Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2020 1:46:20 AM EDT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BLSTYXI/ref=psdc_13400561_t3_B0081BF4JC

Anyone use one of these? Looking for a small tig to use for gun builds. It will be welding smaller gauge stuff mainly. They also have a smaller model. Open to any info on these little machines that are under $500
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:09:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You are going to want a machine with a foot pedal. Lift arc is not going to be what you want.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
You will always need a little more when you get started with a welder. Unless you have a specific task you are buying for. I sold big name automotive equipment for a chapter of my life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using this one since Christmas.  It's the best rated in it's price range, and deservedly so.  The only complaints anyone has are about the foot pedal, but they listened, and they have upgraded the pedal it ships with, so ignore the complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/PRIMEWELD-TIG225X-Stick-Welder-Warranty/dp/B07BXHRBQ8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2ZOQFSPQIMDLQ&keywords=primeweld+tig225x&qid=1583336709&s=hi&sprefix=primeweld%2Ctools%2C142&sr=1-4

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, the machine you posted doesn't come with a TIG torch or regulator.  By the time you buy the torch, regulator, foot pedal, and expendables, you'll have spent as much as you would have on the Primeweld.  And, it comes with a CK Worldwide torch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The answer is Miller.

Tig can range from frustrating to disappointing with shitty equipment.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I have a pps 52 kit I am building and would like to do a few cetme kits. So nothing heavy duty but want a good weld on them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I would recommend a used miller dynasty sx/dx if you can find one, they are great
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Primeweld review.  Again, different foot pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YkWY3nVAlY

TFS: Primeweld TIG225 AC/DC
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Many threads on this within the last year.

That machine comes with no torch, regulator, or foot pedal.  Add $500 for those items. If it breaks they send you a part and you have to install it and hope that fixes it.  If you get a good one people seem to like them, but there are other choices.

Lincoln has a 25% rebate on squarewave tig 200, end price will be about $1200.  It would hold resale value better if that is important to you.  And it is not much more $ than the everlast once you buy the items you need for tig welding.

I went with the Lincoln a year ago, it's been perfect and I have not regretted my decision.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been using this one since Christmas.  It's the best rated in it's price range, and deservedly so.  The only complaints anyone has are about the foot pedal, but they listened, and they have upgraded the pedal it ships with, so ignore the complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/PRIMEWELD-TIG225X-Stick-Welder-Warranty/dp/B07BXHRBQ8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2ZOQFSPQIMDLQ&keywords=primeweld+tig225x&qid=1583336709&s=hi&sprefix=primeweld%2Ctools%2C142&sr=1-4

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DW0AAOSwhnhbvxcW/s-l300.jpg
View Quote
That or the AlphaTIG would be what I'm looking at....but if you don't have the need/want to weld Aluminum then you can get a much different machine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see any aluminum in my future. I have a PPS52 I need to reweld and thought about doing a couple Cetme C builds. Maybe I should just get a mig. I can't swing $1200-$2K for a couple gun builds. I see the one I linked isn't an option. Still looking I like the one ske714 posted. Little more than I wanted to spend but has a nice torch and foot control
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would recommend a used miller dynasty sx/dx if you can find one, they are greathttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498772/image-1301505.jpg
View Quote
I use a dynasty 350 at work, they are frikin nice!

For home I have a Lincoln squarewave 200.  It's not a dynasty but it's also not $12k.  The lowest I would consider is a Everlast.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Those chicom foot pedals can be fixed so that they work well and I improved mine considerably using a bass drum kick pedal married to the original control box.  I used timing pulleys and a timing belt to change the travel to a 1:3 ratio so that I have finer control of my welding current and it's much heavier so that it stays in place and I'm not chasing it around the table with my foot.

I bought the Lotos TIG welder sold by Home Depot online (but cheaper on ebay) and so far it's working better than the operator can weld.  Buy the biggest Argon bottle you can afford so that you're not constantly doing the empty bottle shuffle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up an Everlast multifunction machine special order at Home Depot for ~700.  Comes complete with nearly everything needed to TIG, cut, and stick weld (except some consumables and the gas & bottle.)  It included the pedal.  Works great for my needs which is basic fab and pin/weld.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing to check on the cheap machines for welding on guns and parts is how low can they go in amperage. When doing fine welds building up edges on small parts (like a sear on a trigger etc) you want a machine that can start at 5 amps, not one that can't start a weld when set lower than 20 amps. Often this means a more expensive machine than what you want to pay, but a cheap machine that can't do the welds you want it for is just a waste of money.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a Miller Diversion 165.  Found it for $600 used on CL, then picked up an aftermarket foot pedal.

So far it's proven to be a reliable machine.  I can dial it down to weld thin stainless and aluminum (although my aluminum skill are lacking).   My only gripe is the proprietary torch components.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top