Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2021 7:58:42 PM EDT
Ok, not trying to make the whole house solar, but from what I've seen there are several smaller scale/portable options out there to help charge electronics/batteries, and maybe even run small fans or refrigerators.  What are the good options out there? I've seen everything from 45w Harbor Freight set ups for $180, to 400 Watt panel sets from Home Depot for $400. The latter claims it needs a deep cell battery however, and those look to be around $1k?

I'm basically looking for budget friendly options to run some simple basic stuff, charge rechargeable batteries, charge electronics. Also looking for good ideas for lighting, etc. Basically short of trying to power large appliances.

I'd appreciate any input. TIA!
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out this site Lots of good info there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:00:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Like that but perhaps it that start up cost, and something I can add on to over time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

2. During recharging, keep your portable power station away from heat and direct sunlight in order to extend its life span.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Generally, you get a LOT more watts per buck by purchasing your own solar panels, charge regulator, batteries, and maybe an inverter - Rather than buying a pre-packaged "solar generator".

You also stand a much better chance of actually getting the wattage you paid for, because many "solar generators" have ridiculously overstated specifications - similar to the "lumens" claims of cheap Chinese flashlights.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I’d love a setup that can run a small deep freeze and charge phones. Hard to tell what level of investment is needed for that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I can’t figure out the wattage to run fans, a couple of lights, and a deep freeze.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check out this site Lots of good info there.
View Quote

FPNI

DIY- saves a ton of money.

Will knows his stuff.

Have built 3 portable solar generators at least 1/2 the cost from the commercial pre packaged systems.

Can keep my refrigerator- freezer - tv - ham radio and other house hold stuff running  for days with my DIY set up.

Have 2 -2000 watt inverter generators when there is no sun to keep every thing running for 4 weeks with 30 gallons of gas for what a pre packaged commercial “ solar generator “ would cost you.

You pay a HUGE premium for the ready to use systems.

Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

2. During recharging, keep your portable power station away from heat and direct sunlight in order to extend its life span.

https://i.shgcdn.com/78440927-aa40-4081-bffa-9cccfb92e3d2/-/format/auto/-/preview/3000x3000/-/quality/normal/

I like to use the solar generator as a kickstand for the solar panel. Doesn't work well for ads but it keeps the electronics in the shade.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Looking more and more the ticket if bought piece by piece maybe?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top